Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

Closest game to QB is Vanquish; being 'alternative' 3rd person shooter with unconventional mechanics. But the review is garbage IMO. QB is a great game

Sometimes (especially when standing still), the game looks very beautiful and natural.

But more often you get so many glaring artifacts (especially shadows) right in your face...technically this must be one of the most inconsistent games I have ever played. It seems as if the game is still in alpha phase.

Good news is that due to very strong grain filter (reminds me of Mass Effect 1), no real problems with jaggies etc.

In contrast to AW, I do like the combat gameplay much better. It just makes fun up to now. The super powers are great! Platforming is super clunky on the other hand imo and being almost annoying.

I like the story quite a lot. Still neutral about the TV series stuff, not sure if it really adds something. Except I like to compare humans and real environments to their digital copy.

Pacing of this game reminds me of MGS4 actually. I very like the choices (joyces) and how they are presented.

Overall, as I said, very mixed impression so far. Great stuff goes hand in hand with super bad stuff, changing every second while gaming...still, can't wait to check out act 3.

@Billy Idol Yah, the graphics are so hard to judge. Most of the time I think it looks great. The softness and even some of the temporal artifacts don't bother me. What jumps out at me most is when you get a shadow that flickers. That's the part that really breaks the illusion for me. I don't notice them all of the time, but when I do I can't look away. I'm not sure if that's a temporal artifact, like an accumulation error of some kind, or if it's just a glitch in the way they draw shadows.

Haven't done much platforming yet, but I like the combat so far. It's very arcadey, move fast and use your powers. It's not a stop and pop game. Love the way enemies react to bullets and powers. Very satisfying.

I think as far as combining the tv element into the game goes, they basically did it the ideal way. I never feel like they're telling a part of the story that I could be playing. It follows a good number of characters, jumping back and forth between them. So it's a change of pace from the way the game plays, but it also feels fairly similar in terms of atmosphere and tone. I don't think it's "the way forward" for games. Not every game should be done this way. I'd prefer to see more Telltale style story-telling, but that also wouldn't work in every game. Overall, producing a tv series to pair with a game is probably complicated and expensive. Game devs are good at games, not tv. Remedy did better than I expected though.

Spent a couple hours on QB so far and In my opinion they have optimized the game compared to the press event footage released a month or so back.

The shadow LOD seems to have had its distance increased since that footage as I haven't noticed dramatic shadow pop in a few feet ahead of me. There are still shifts in some shadows though, but its overall improved.

Also the IQ on my screen is much clearer than the compressed YouTube videos have led me to believe it would be. Sure it still has a soft look just not as soft as I thought it would be.

The transitions between gameplay and realtime cut scenes are seamless.
It really is an extremely beautiful game despite some of the artifacts. I think that it has the best looking real time character models in any game released so far.

In act 2 you'll find a collectible which is act1 of a screenplay titled "Time Knife." Read it. It may be the greatest story ever told.

Just watching the hardline show after act one, as you have got to act 2 do you know if you can revisit the tv shows from the main menu if you accidentally or otherwise skip?

Also can you check and inspect collectables from the menu?

I have a feeling I missed a fair chunk from the first act even tho I was semi looking. I certainly only skim read most so might want to re read later.

Visually stunning game... Sometimes I have a hard time telling if what I´m seeing is video or not. But the visual realism is let down by some of the physics. Objects weight is terrible, and touching a chair throws it around the room. Same happens with a car chassis that would weight a lot and that moves just by touching it.
Besides the game lacks in animations. The main character does not even bend to pick up weapons or ammo, and although several other games do this, this breaks the overall realistic effect. And thats a pity!

Sometimes (especially when standing still), the game looks very beautiful and natural.

But more often you get so many glaring artifacts (especially shadows) right in your face...technically this must be one of the most inconsistent games I have ever played. It seems as if the game is still in alpha phase.

This reflects the footage I've seen - at times I'm think it looks last gen then other times it's stunning, obviously as I'm only looking at youtube (etc) I've put it down to that...does seem this could have done with more time.

Is anyone else getting blinded by some of the light sources in this game? It's gotten to a point that my eyes are irritated, like I can't see what's in front of me as the whole screen is a white out. Is it suppose to be like that?

Is anyone else getting blinded by some of the light sources in this game? It's gotten to a point that my eyes are irritated, like I can't see what's in front of me as the whole screen is a white out. Is it suppose to be like that?

I think it's a bug that hasn't been fixed yet, some users on reddit are reporting this on X1 and PC version https://www.reddit.com/r/quantumbre...the_only_one_bothered_by_the_lights_bug_most/

Video: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=a841df3cecf9693e&id=A841DF3CECF9693E!674974&ithint=video,mp4&authkey=!ADkSRl3hzHEaepk

Blinding part starts at 0:10

Just finished the game , it was a lot of fun. I beat it on medium but I will try the harder difficulty when I get the free pc copy.

I hope they have some DLC for this or it sells enough for a sequel. I really enjoyed playing it.

Not just absolutely loving it so far. Combat is clunky (playing Destiny MP then this=yikes, such a smoothness difference). The time powers are also kinda clunky/unintuitive, but cool visually though. There's a TON of cutscenes...I'm skipping the live action stuff, the game already dedicates obscene time to the story and it's like every other video game story "please care about our big trumped up story thing" but really you never do.

It basically boils down to walking around a warehouse, solve a simple puzzle to advance (follow the cable to the generator and turn it on!), get in a clunky fight sequence, now more warehouse puzzles, alternating like that (so far).

I dont hate it, it's pretty ok, but it has serious problems and so far 7/10 seems about right. Graphics amazing though, doesn't really look like a 720P game so what they did worked. I hope there's more enemy variety later.

Also load times are very long, starting up from quit state etc.

I've never loved Remedy games and, well...better than Alan Wake tho.

Not just absolutely loving it so far. Combat is clunky (playing Destiny MP then this=yikes, such a smoothness difference). The time powers are also kinda clunky/unintuitive, but cool visually though. There's a TON of cutscenes...I'm skipping the live action stuff, the game already dedicates obscene time to the story and it's like every other video game story "please care about our big trumped up story thing" but really you never do.

It basically boils down to walking around a warehouse, solve a simple puzzle to advance (follow the cable to the generator and turn it on!), get in a clunky fight sequence, now more warehouse puzzles, alternating like that (so far).

I dont hate it, it's pretty ok, but it has serious problems and so far 7/10 seems about right. Graphics amazing though, doesn't really look like a 720P game so what they did worked. I hope there's more enemy variety later.

Also load times are very long, starting up from quit state etc.

I've never loved Remedy games and, well...better than Alan Wake tho.

Its a shame you skipped the episodes, they don't follow the main character but add a lot to the secondary characters.

Also the time powers do string together and using them together makes a lot of the later bad guys easier to fight

Yeah, I really like the episodes. They add quite a lot to the story and characters.

Finished act 3 yesterday and was looking forward to the TV episode...I like it!

Act 3 has good enemy variation and so the combat sequences were still quite good for me. Much better variety than AW imo.

Curious about act 4...so far, I managed to finish an act every day.

Back