Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Naughty Dog is actually known for using a lot of baked lighting, and that extends to distance shadows, since that prevents distance shadows from simply disappearing like you see in so many games.

Baking shadows on animated foliage? Or interactive parts of the environment? Don't think so, could definitely be the case for static geometry though.

Baking shadows on animated foliage? Or interactive parts of the environment? Don't think so, could definitely be the case for static geometry though.
yeah that's what I meant, static geometry, hence why the shadows wouldn't be on the animals. I haven't seen the footage myself though so I can't say exactly what's happening (I'm on UC4 media blackout)

Aliased edge in the recent U4 footage, from cutscene first frame (before TAA is applied)
2mjkr4.jpg

Hey guys,

here is the extended FFXV trailer from Gamersyde:

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_final_fantasy_xv_extended_trailer-37042_en.html

The scene at 03:24 min where they are standing at that pinball machine / flipper, what resolution is this?

The edges of the pinball machine look incredibly low-res...
I dunno about this specific scene (my bandwidth is kinda limited currently) but this busy scene I took from their own video selection is 1080p native. Lots of aliasing though. The day we'd see some modern AA on a japanese game is not yet upon us.

image_final_fantasy_xv-31417-2754_0018.jpg

If you could provide us with a pic from the pinball scene I could probably help you. But this is a trailer so we don't know which machine ran this....

Thanks Globalisateur as always for your hard work :)
I read somewhere that the Uncovered footage was running on a ps4.
This gives me hope that they may yet get 1080p on ps4, especially with tabata talking about the experimental dynamic resolution for the demo, it being produced in 2 months by a small team and they still have six months left to optimise.

I'll try and find the confirmation that the uncovered video is captured on a ps4.

Rendered low res for the DOF? Really lousy IQ. Why can't they use even the most basic post-FX AA? Do the Japanese like the shimmers and jaggies??

This could be some kind of interlacing after the image is rendered at full 1080p. I have already seen this. Caution advised here

Somehow I doubt that. Interlacing a progressive source actually does not reduce it's resolution AFAIK. 1080p24 movies being broadcast at 1080i60 actually is called 1080psf24 ("psf" stands for "progressive segmented frames"). And 1080i60 containing 1080p24 (A.K.A. 1080psf24) can be deinterlaced to full 1080p24 via a simple reverse pulldown and weave AFAIK. Same goes for 30 fps material of course.

And I doubt that interlacing could fu** up edges so cleanly, but not sure.

Anyway, I just noticed that the pinball machine scene actually is in the older trailer as well.

Here is the image again from the new extended trailer which has a bitrate of 9 Mbps:

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_final_fantasy_xv_extended_trailer-37042_en.html

pinball_machine_9mbps.png

And here is the image from the earlier standard trailer which has a bitrate of 25 Mbps:

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_final_fantasy_xv_reclaim_your_throne_trailer-36998_en.html

pinball_machine_25mbps.png

Can you check on the resolution again? Looks much more high-res in the earlier trailer compared to the new extended trailer...

Last edited:
Old Image I get 15 steps over 30 pixels horizontal... Thats 960 ! So i can confirm!
But on the 25 Mbps image I count 15 steps on 15 pixels (measured on both sides of the character in front of the table). That would be 1920!
Funny enough thr 9 Mbps seems 960 too.
I´m no expert though!

Old Image I get 15 steps over 30 pixels horizontal... Thats 960 ! So i can confirm!
But on the 25 Mbps image I count 15 steps on 15 pixels (measured on both sides of the character in front of the table). That would be 1920!

Please note that the "old" 9 Mbps image actually is from the new extended trailer and the "new" 25 Mbps image actually is from the old standard trailer.

If the 9 Mbps image is 960x540, then it can not come from some interlacing artifact, since interlacing would mean 1920x540 and not 960x540, right?

Please note that the "old" 9 Mbps image actually is from the new extended trailer and the "new" 25 Mbps image actually is from the old standard trailer.

If the 9 Mbps image is 960x540, then it can not come from some interlacing artifact, since interlacing would mean 1920x540 and not 960x540, right?
Yes maybe the word interlacing is not accurate. But it's most probably some artifacts caused by some compression. Already seen exactly the same thing before: 1920x1080 -> 960x540 because of some kind of "double interlacing" on both axis done on a full HD image.

Well, had another look at the 9 Mbps extended trailer, might be some kind of compression / interlacing artifact indeed, since even the Square Enix logo at the beginning of the video as well as the Final Fantasy XV logo at the end of the video have those typical sawtooth interlaced jaggies to them.

Also there are some more scenes which are available in both the standard 25 Mbps trailer as well as the extended 9 Mbps trailer and the resolution always seems to be lower in the 9 Mbps extended trailer, so probably something went really wrong with that video encode.

Back