Dark Souls 3 [PS4,XO]

If you have never played a Souls game before, I recommend to start with Bloodborne: the game is imo harder than DS2, but more importantly, it is streamlined and a bit simpler to understand.

DS2 could be quite overwhelming if you have no Souls exp...

I find Bloodborne easier than DS2 ! Much much easier !
DS2 with a shortening health bar for each death was too difficult for me. BB, on the other hand, even lets u get health back even if u get hit !

I just couldn't find the rhythm of the gameplay in DS2.. I had fun for a while, then I hit a wall ! and the mood was not that convincing for me to continue......
Demons Souls was different, you HAD to continue ! just like in BB, you cannot stop

Yeah that whole health bar shrinking thing, and the difficulty in finding something to fix that, is almost incomprehensible to me. I get it, make the game difficult, but that just feels like a cheap and quick way to make the game feel difficult without actually working on ways to make it interestingly so. Like BB which is hard without resorting to cheap tricks. It makes it a lot more rewarding.

But you'd hope that since BB was made after, they'd have learned how much better this approach is, and fixed it on DS3.

I still feel like a total noob playing DS2, no matter how much I blame the (bad IMO) design of the game. People played it, loved and finished it, so what's wrong with me??

Last edited:
It's not exactly hard to get your health topped out in Souls games, especially in DS2. Humanity can be found just about anywhere, and defeating bosses (plenty of which are surprisingly easy in DS2) resurrects you as well. There's also a ring which limits the amount of health you can lose, and since DS2 has 4 ring slots, it's really not much of a burden to keep it equipped all throughout the game.

I actually find the blood vial/bullet farming in Bloodborne quite a bit more bothersome than the DS health system. It only serves to waste your time.

All in all, DS2 has a tendency to feel a little cheap at times (hence the limited enemy respawns I guess), but save for a couple of bosses - bosses almost exclusively found within the three dlc chapters no less - DS2 is a much easier game than BB. Thanks to the far greater variety of tools at your disposal, cheesing your way through DS2 is a much more viable option as well.

Don't get me wrong: I think BB is a much better game than DS2, but even if it clearly came at the cost of a focused and finetuned experience, I do miss DS2's wealth of options a little.

Last edited:
Yeah that whole health bar shrinking thing, and the difficulty in finding something to fix that, is almost incomprehensible to me. I get it, make the game difficult, but that just feels like a cheap and quick way to make the game feel difficult without actually working on ways to make it interestingly so. Like BB which is hard without resorting to cheap tricks. It makes it a lot more rewarding.

But you'd hope that since BB was made after, they'd have learned how much better this approach is, and fixed it on DS3.

I still feel like a total noob playing DS2, no matter how much I blame the (bad IMO) design of the game. People played it, loved and finished it, so what's wrong with me??

Get the Mace. It is very strong due to its strike damage. Then get craftman's hammer.

Get a heal miracle, to help you in longer runs.

Get an item that increases your endurance regeneration and health generation (can be found quite early)

Get the ring of binding to keep you health var at 75%.

Start using a shield at first (you can block an astounding amount of attacks throughout the game.

Note that it is much stronger to upgrade the weapon, instead of relying on its scaling. I typically just put as many points in dex and str needed to use the weapon.

Make sure to level up adaptability. This increases your agility. Agility is super important, as it determines the number of invincible frames when you role.

You can farm areas and make enemies vanish (after 10 times, they disappear)...this helps you not only in increasing your soul level, but in clearing the path to bosses.

This tipps should get you started, later infuse your weapon with an elemental and increase the stat that scales it.

Note, you can also respec in DS2, so you can try out many different builds and playstyles...

I started as cleric (or whats it called): already has a Mace (although you need more strength to one-hand it) and a heal spell with the chime :)

Note: by two-handing, you only need half of the stats.

A +10 Mace could carry you through the game.

Also, as a gift, take petrified something something stone or so...you can change this in the crow nest at the beginning and might get something really good by chance!

Powerstancing two Maces is also quite cool :)

After playing DS2 for so long...I got tired of it. On the other hand, I need some DS fix until 3 arrives...then I just realised that at one time I bought Lords of the Fallen at reduced price...popped it in, and surprisingly I like it quite a lot so far (quite early). Should keep me alive until DS3 releases!

It's a decent enough game. Doesn't have the legs of your average From game, but it'll do for 20-30 hours. I quite enjoyed it as well. Just do yourself a favor and don't pick the rogue (or whatever it's called in LotF) class.

There are only few maps that are BB inspired. It gets more Dark Souls as you progress the game.
It's not like DS never had grave yards in them to begin with.

Bloodborne left me traumatised and bruised. And I didn't 'get' DS2 at all.

That's exactly how I feel too.

I really enjoyed BB, but it was definitely something that I had to strive to complete. Even if I was compelled to do so.

I got stuck on some sort of sewer boss on DS2 and I didn't have the same compulsion to progress past it once I was stuck. I also relied on other players helping me defeat bosses on BB (Yeah, I know - I suck). And I couldn't find similar support so easily on DS2.

Back