PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that Neogaf post is true, and frankly it smacks a bit wild/out there for my tastes, then we really are down the rabbit hole. No way Microsoft couldn't respond...

2X GPU, at least 3.6 TF, I dont keep up so much with desktop GPU but that's still pretty dang beefy/power hungry I'd think. Dont know, keeping my salt handy...

This is pure speculation but if you are trying to look for an equivalent desktop gpu we are looking at something around a R9 380.

Heres why:

PS4 gpu compares to a HD 7850

HD 7850
Released: 1.5 years before PS4
Clock: 860MHz
Teraflops: 1.7
Max TDP: 130
Cost: $250

R9 380
Released : June 2015 (1.5 years before presumable PS4.5 launch)
Clock: 970MHz
Teraflops: 3.4
Max TDP: 190
Cost: $200

But who knows what Sony and AMD are doing.

It would only impact PS4 sales for people who are interested in the new console over the base PS4 console.

When has the highest performing console taken the lion's share of the market? Or when was the last time that consumers overwhelmingly bought the most expensive model of TV, HiFi, PC, phone or car? I can't see console owners having radically different purchasing priorities for their console than anything else they own.

This is the Beyond 3D forum where many are graphics whores who crave the best hardware. Your average consumer? I don't think so.

it can impact sales of the normal ps4 because of the obvious price drop at the release of the PS4K, i can see a lot of "average" consumers waiting, for the new PS4K, or a cheaper PS4. The sales would really slow down between the annoucement and the release date. That's why new phones are announced and release soon after.

I don't understand the melt downs on Gaf. If every PS4 game can play on a PS4 and PS4k and every new game can play on both, who with a PS4 is hurt? I'll buy one and stick my old PS4 in my bedroom. If you cannot afford a new PS4k, don't buy one. What other hobbies has such issues with new stuff coming out at a premium and making the previous model second best? PC gamers understand this with GPUs, smart phone owners know this well too.

it can impact sales of the normal ps4 because of the obvious price drop at the release of the PS4K, i can see a lot of "average" consumers waiting, for the new PS4K, or a cheaper PS4.
I don't think there will be an obvious price drop. All rumours support a new console at a higher price, not a cheaper PS4. Not unless I missed something?

I could believe Sony has a PS4.5 just in case so that MS could not get them of guard. If they actually will release it until they know what MS does i dont know.

Talking about supposed features, price and games with some (retail?) people just seems not true or controlled leak to gauge reaction

I don't think there will be an obvious price drop. All rumours support a new console at a higher price, not a cheaper PS4. Not unless I missed something?

If they are following the Apple business model they will have:
Top Model: $399
Lower Model: $299

$100 dollar difference just so you can go "For a $100 more I might as well just get the......."

Also really don't get why they would put in a 4K blu-ray player? I get Sony want's to push their tech but isn't physical media dying now especially with video content? It's all streaming now.

If they are following the Apple business model they will have:
Why would Sony follow Apple's model? Apple's model is predicated ons selling hardware at a 30% (or higher) margin. Sony's console model is predicated on selling hardware as close to cost (but not at a loss) as possible and reaping profits on software licensing.

Does not compute. :nope:

Also really don't get why they would put in a 4K blu-ray player? I get Sony want's to push their tech but isn't physical media dying now especially with video content? It's all streaming now.

4K H265 blurays [with HDR] started coming out few weeks ago. It makes perfect sense to offer bluray player capabilities to users who DON'T want to experience 4K at criminally low or variable bitrates.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search.php?action=search&videoresolutionid=2683&sortby=popularity

I could believe Sony has a PS4.5 just in case so that MS could not get them of guard. If they actually will release it until they know what MS does i dont know.

Talking about supposed features, price and games with some (retail?) people just seems not true or controlled leak to gauge reaction

This will put Microsoft in a bind. Sony only has PlayStation in terms of gaming to deal with therefore they can build on that platform easily/quickly.

Microsoft has Xbox + Windows 10 on PC's and I'm not sure what the overall long terms vision for the platform is yet. Not sure what Microsoft does in response to this.

a 4K blu ray disc player is at max 10 dollar more; Sony co-owns the tech and the PS4 already has the power to do the decoding.

Apparently the PS4K is real.. so weird, having a 'new' generation before we even had a Tekken or Gran Turismo.. PlayStation is dying

Microsoft has Xbox + Windows 10 on PC's and I'm not sure what the overall long terms vision for the platform is yet. Not sure what Microsoft does in response to this.
Microsoft have the money to ride out a less successful generation (speculation) and play the long game. Long term, DX12+UWP will give them immense flexibility for their software and hardware gaming platform.

Microsoft have the money to ride out a less successful generation (speculation) and play the long game. Long term, DX12+UWP will give them immense flexibility for their software and hardware gaming platform.
I guess my point is that Microsoft's overall gaming platform is a little more complex than Sony's and I think it prevents them from being able to react quickly to this.

So explain to me then how my wife can play Peggle in the bedroom under her own account when the game was purchased under mine on the primary PS4 in the front room and I am logged on the primary PS4 playing something else.

This was allowed on the PS3 but then Sony decided they didn't want me to own more than one PS4.

=)

I don't understand what you're saying here, but I had the same thoughts WRT PS3 licence system. There is a work-around, however you won't be able to log onto the 2nd PS4...

1) log onto 2nd PS4 and set to primary
2) log out and don't log in again
3) deactivate all PS4s via the web site
4) sign into main PS4 and make primary
5) everyone can play all your on both PS4s but you can't log into the 2nd PS4 or it will deactivate it

I guess my point is that Microsoft's overall gaming platform is a little more complex than Sony's and I think it prevents them from being able to react quickly to this.

I would agree. Like I've posted a few times I think Microsoft began to think about gaming long term a while back. Maybe that'll limit them while its bedding in but I don't see why, given both consoles are based on Jaguar, that any new tech couldn't benefit both Microsoft and Sony. Not unless this is some weird unique thing AMD has produced exclusively for Sony - but there's no suggestion of this.

PS4 and XBO leverage enhanced Jaguar cores and AMD have been advancing the fundamental architecture. Unless ESRAM is some weird fly in the ointment anything new should benefit both parties.

Recap:
- target price $399, could go up to $499 if they choose to use better CPU
- no current plan for upgrade program in the US
- GPU twice powerful as standard PS4. ~ "runs at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original"
- full support for 4K multimedia and games [native or upscaled]
- VR Lounge app
- devs have devkits in studios
- new games can take full advantage from PS4K specs, but they also run on standard 4K [with lowered visuals]
- standard PS4 games can get access to better rendering only via dev/publisher patch
- many games at launch will support both PS4 and PS4K hardware spec, both for PSVR [Eve Valkyrie, Robinson, GT Sport] and TV [Deep Down, GOW4]
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462

Good grief... that would segment the consumer base if it really is 2x more powerful. But even with 2x the gpu power, that's really only like 1080p60 and not anywhere close to stable native 4k gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back