Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at digital version and they have this story mission DLC.

Have ND announced its release date? It's not coming at day one right?

Something that could explain the draw distance in U4, saw this video by a VFX artist at ND posted a month ago

ok i was wondering if my rendering framework would be able to do this. huzza for programmer matt. He designed a pretty cool system. So yeah i always had this problem with shadowing the terrain. originally i execute my shadow raytrace for every pixel. this... this was very expensive. So i've been thinking of how to have actual shadows infinitely in the distance. God GPU programming is cool. so i just draw a quad the size of the shadow texture i want and raytrace the heightfield. this then gets stored to a render-texture (or drawn to the screen for demo purposes). and then this can be passed to the shader rendering the terrain, which can look it up with the world-space uv.

Not sure if this is used for U4 though.
I looked at digital version and they have this story mission DLC.

Have ND announced its release date? It's not coming at day one right?

I think this is going to be released in 2016 but at a later date, like Left Behind.

I digress.. please gain more knowledge of these 3D features and then get back to me for real comparison of tech features.
TR's PBR is broken or not accurate enough according to DF.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-tech-analysis
On PBR
Materials: Rise of the Tomb Raider has made the jump to a physically-based renderer but the results leave something to be desired. Compared to its contemporaries, the materials in this game simply lack the realism we've come to expect. While cloth, snow, and ice are convincing enough, much of the stone and wood work just don't work for us. Indirect lighting conditions often appear unnatural, despite the reliance on image based light probes, and specular highlights behave in an unrealistic fashion.
On AO
Ambient occlusion: Rise of the Tomb Raider employs a new take on ambient occlusion known as broad temporal ambient obscurance, developed by Microsoft and integrated to the game with collaboration from Crystal Dynamics [UPDATE 17/11/15 5:35pm: A small tweak here - Microsoft pioneered this tech, it's not an internal Crystal solution as previously described]. It works well in many cases, but we found that it often struggles with two key issues. Firstly, many objects exhibit obvious borders between the contact shadow and the object itself that we found distracting. Secondly, objects situated a fair distance from another surface still often exhibited blob-like contact shadows which seems unnatural. Fortunately, the effect remains stable in motion unlike some lower cost solutions.
As for lighting in TW3, there's only that cheap 2d hack light shaft, not volume based. You can't see the beam when the light source is not within player's view.
And what's wrong with the stuffs I mentioned about Infamous?

Something that could explain the draw distance in U4, saw this video by a VFX artist at ND posted a month ago

Not sure if this is used for U4 though.

I think this is going to be released in 2016 but at a later date, like Left Behind.

Good find

This episode is the best, so much emotion and effort put into this game, love it. It also changed up the formula from the previous 4 episodes, different soundtrack used throughout the video and different outro. The first four felt a bit formulaic imo.

Last edited:

Using a PBR material in the "wrong way" (according to their own subjective eyes) doesn't make it factually non-existent. The shaders look fine to me on PC. In fact, several games boast having PBR and in actuality, NONE of them are the true PBR that is understood in the offline world (i.e. you need true area light importance sampling with probability density functions). Games use only the distribution function of specular/diffuse lobes. They never compute real refraction or absorption AFAIK. So I essentially ignore any "PBR" speak concerning games. So basically your comments are based on someone else's subjective comments on how things "look" as opposed to what they actually used in the graphics engine. Then they don't give specifics on how these materials are "inaccurate". For all we know, the artists could have been directed to that particular look as opposed to the engine not having the correct math for a distribution function.

This doesn't apply to the PC version -- which uses 2 superior forms of AO, HBAO+ and VXAO. Both of which have incredibly good approximations on the real solution (especially VXAO).

As for lighting in TW3, there's only that cheap 2d hack light shaft, not volume based. You can't see the beam when the light source is not within player's view.
And what's wrong with the stuffs I mentioned about Infamous?

Can you give a valid video example of UC4 using volumetric lighting? And before that, define volumetric lighting in it's context to games.

Game looks stupendously good, the score is hauntingly beautiful, it's gonna be real hard to finish this one off without shedding man tear.
9UiMnjT.jpg

Just wow.

I can now understand why you got banned from gaf. Can you please not do this? Maybe open up a thread called "VFX_Veteran against console video games" this is off topic discussion that derails the whole thread to an argument that first, we can't have right now, game is not out yet and second is not even remotely interesting to the majority of posters here...

On topic, i like all the little subtleties in this scene from this episode high quality gif/webm: http://gfycat.com/JealousPersonalGerbil

I was going to point this out.The way the character have this realistic scheme to them. I especially love the " eyes " and there is no more dead eyes to the look of it.
And the subtle detail. Such a nice scene. Can't wait till may 10th and what they will show for TLOU.
And I so want them to implement an awesome photomode lol and maybe a machinima mod like they did in U2.
Hope this will be another + GOTY just my most anticipated title of this year with FFXV.

I can now understand why you got banned from gaf. Can you please not do this? Maybe open up a thread called "VFX_Veteran against console video games" this is off topic discussion that derails the whole thread to an argument that first, we can't have right now, game is not out yet and second is not even remotely interesting to the majority of posters here...
To be fair it's only the PS4 threads he pollutes.

Using a PBR material in the "wrong way" (according to their own subjective eyes) doesn't make it factually non-existent. The shaders look fine to me on PC. In fact, several games boast having PBR and in actuality, NONE of them are the true PBR that is understood in the offline world (i.e. you need true area light importance sampling with probability density functions). Games use only the distribution function of specular/diffuse lobes. They never compute real refraction or absorption AFAIK. So I essentially ignore any "PBR" speak concerning games. So basically your comments are based on someone else's subjective comments on how things "look" as opposed to what they actually used in the graphics engine. Then they don't give specifics on how these materials are "inaccurate". For all we know, the artists could have been directed to that particular look as opposed to the engine not having the correct math for a distribution function.

This doesn't apply to the PC version -- which uses 2 superior forms of AO, HBAO+ and VXAO. Both of which have incredibly good approximations on the real solution (especially VXAO).

Can you give a valid video example of UC4 using volumetric lighting? And before that, define volumetric lighting in it's context to games.
Sure I'm not denying real time PBR is of the same quality as the offline one, but there comes to a point where logic would kick in and people could simply judge them using common sense. The specular highlight in the TR's puddle reflection is as bright as the source light which in real life it really shouldn't be, that is one hellava lighting fuck up and immediately breaks the sense of immersion. Again I'm not entirely basing everything from DF, in my play through on XBone which looks exactly the same as PC version bar HBAO+, a lot of the outdoor lighting either seemed too bright or too flat, the material doesn't always look convincing.

In uc4's story trailer starting 1:35 you can see light beam shines through the cave, then light source gets occluded by falling rocks but still retains the volumetric beam.
2a9tkw1.jpg

Holy amazeballs. Where's that from? Although I must admit his torso seems to blow up in proportion, suddenly because he pulls his shoulders forwards and upwards :)

Incredible work, the eye movement I liked, the most.
Drake doesn't skip shoulder days does he :)?
But yeah his eye movements are convincing as hell.

As much as you are always trying to make people feel like layman when it comes to offline CGI ( I mean, even your damn user name is kinda of douchy ) you regularly prove how little you know of real time tricks yourself.
True volumetric lighting vs. fake/postprocess is a very common theme, nothing he made up at all. You don´t need to give everyone such a hard time man...

They tweaked the vegetation shader a bit since the story trailer

Story Trailer
382qpm.jpg

Last BTS
2lrrmw.jpg

You can see the branch through the plant :smile:

Also notice how real-time cutscenes are affected if the character is muddy or not

I think the lighting is just coming from a different angle, casing shadows ( that come through the other side ) at diferent places. Not his head used to cast a shadow on the leaf imediatly in front of him and now it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back