Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding right? Tomb Raider's outdoor lighting is almost embarrassing in comparison, it's nowhere near rendering the same amount of dense foliage and scale. The lack of a proper PBR further blemishes its overall look. The Witcher 3 doesn't even have volumetric lighting, shadow or clouding, not to mention the beasts in TW3 utterly pale in comparison to the million poly mecha dinos roaming around in herds on top of a dense foliage laden landscape. If you're still in doubt of PS4's ability to render multi million polys per scene, Infamous SS is doing 11m per scene with high quality assets, lighting , particle and shaders no less.

My copy of the Witcher 3 had shadows though, at least for the environments. From memory I think they were even moving realtime.

Horizon E3 2015 demo have more geometry that PS4 version of The Witcher 3, much better materials*, much better weather system and volumetric cloud, 3D foliage, more physics and better lighting too...

Much better materials than Tomb Raider too...

And it was far from the final build...

*materials are not very impressive in The Witcher 3 most of the time
But what is impressing is the diversity and high quality of the textures notably in cities / villages in the Witcher 3. Foliage dense is no slouch too in the Witcher 3. Not enough gameplay from The Horizon to compare both games on that subject yet IMO.

Both Horizon screenshots looking good in my opinion. But I dont think that they are direct gameplay shots.

The Gamersyde gameplay video does not look like that: http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_horizon_zero_dawn_pgw_gameplay_demo_direct_feed_-36076_en.html

For example, the water and rock textures are mediocre. Killzone Shadow Fall is currently way above that.

But it is WIP. At the moment it has bad AA etc.

Shadow LOD bug too, but like you said it is a work in progress.

My copy of the Witcher 3 had shadows though, at least for the environments. From memory I think they were even moving realtime.

But what is impressing is the diversity and high quality of the textures notably in cities / villages in the Witcher 3. Foliage dense is no slouch too in the Witcher 3. Not enough gameplay from The Horizon to compare both games on that subject yet IMO.

I don't like cities visually in The Witcher 3. I like village and nature. I don't like many materials in city, interiors (PS4 version) and I played 90/100 hours...

The worst is interior, average imo...

Last edited:

If I remember well foliage doesn't react to Geralt movement or NPC movement in PS4 version...

Maybe my memory is not good...

Last edited:

What I meant was volumetric shadow cast from volumetric lighting.

I am a bit harsh with The Witcher 3 materials but I was spoiled by The Order 1886, Star Wars Battlefront, playing AC Unity on a gaming PC of a friend, Ryse on Xbox One of a friend, Drive Club, Infamous Second Son and First Light, Killzone Shadow Fall and video of UC4, Quantum Break, NFS, Horizon Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy 15 Ratchet and Clank or other title I forget to mention ...

Edit: I have my doubt about a RPG by Guerrilla games because KZ SF is the worst way to tell a story and facial animations were the worst of this gen and worse than many old gen title... I know they recruited a good story teller and some people from CD Projekt but wait and see...

Last edited:
You're kidding right? Tomb Raider's outdoor lighting is almost embarrassing in comparison, it's nowhere near rendering the same amount of dense foliage and scale. The lack of a proper PBR further blemishes its overall look. The Witcher 3 doesn't even have volumetric lighting, shadow or clouding, not to mention the beasts in TW3 utterly pale in comparison to the million poly mecha dinos roaming around in herds on top of a dense foliage laden landscape. If you're still in doubt of PS4's ability to render multi million polys per scene, Infamous SS is doing 11m per scene with high quality assets, lighting , particle and shaders no less.

I digress.. please gain more knowledge of these 3D features and then get back to me for real comparison of tech features.

Horizon doesn't have anywhere near the level of fidelity of U4. It doesn't invalidate VFX_Veteran's point about U4's engine in any way.

Horizon doesn't have anywhere near the level of fidelity of U4. It doesn't invalidate VFX_Veteran's point about U4's engine in any way.

I never said this but it seems superior to The Witcher 3 PS4 or other Open world on the machine, orTomb Raider

And we need to wait to see more for a game releasing fall 2016 if we are lucky or 2017...

I never said this but it seems superior to The Witcher 3 PS4 or other Open world on the machine, orTomb Raider

And we need to wait to see more for a game releasing fall 2016 if we are lucky or 2017...

This, last time we saw the game running was at E3, knowing Guerrilla they will tick most technical features in the checklist (would be really surprised if they didn't, considering what they delivered with Shadow fall at launch), but this discussion is out of topic.

Take AC Syndicate and replace the cities with the vegetation of AC Black flag and you have Horizon.

Take AC Syndicate and replace the cities with the vegetation of AC Black flag and you have Horizon.

Have you seen the geometry in AC Syndicate without fog?

Materials too.... I was impressed by AC Unity PC version much less by the console version or AC Syndicate...

It a step behind and I don't speak about other things like physics and so on.

Last edited:
Same things with cloud in AC Syndicate no diversity. All look like the same far from Drive Club or Horizon SIGGRAPH video...

WZYhREv.png

Preview event US

Last edited:
And, it seems like they will release some gameplay footage as well judging by this

qi1bGTO.png

Nice

They delayed it too many times. I was planning on going black out for March but after so many delays who cares, they better not spoil anything major (they haven't done so in the past).

Have you seen the geometry in AC Syndicate without fog?

Materials too.... I was impressed by AC Unity PC version much less by the console version or AC Syndicate...

It a step behind and I don't speak about other things like physics and so on.
Main characters are quite comparable fidelity wise. Same regarding the dynamic sky, volumetric lighting and GI. Vegetation wise though, AC4's 3d vegetation > Horizon's sprites.

Contrary to ultragpu's assessment, Horizon doesn't support the argument regarding the open world capabilities of the U4 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back