PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like 802.11ac wifi and much quieter cooling.

I wonder if it's possible for Sony to swap out GDDR5 for GDDR5x (4 16Gb chips) on a smaller bus when they shrink the APU?

would also like 802.11ac wifi and much quieter cooling.

doesnt have to be AC, N is already fast. But please.. add 5 GHz freq sony oh sony...

btw my ps4 is friggin loud again. urgh. my xbox 360 is much quieter lol.

but if PS4K is PS4 slim, i wonder how can they make it quieter? Smaller fan usually louder (due to the high pitch).

It it's a 14nm APU. The power consumption should drop significantly so a simpler cooling mechanism should be sufficient.

Dedicated, programmable, upscaling hardware. System uses it to upscale photos and media, game devs are presented with a control interface so they can control the method and parameters of the upscaling used to get the best presentation for their game on 4K TVs (otherwise the system uses a default upscaling method).
Most decent 4K TV already have a good upscaler since there will not be enough 4K content for a while. Also it will add latency to games rendering. If PS4K has a dedicated user-programmable hardware for upscaling it may be an unnecessary cost in the future backward compatibility of PS5.

Talking about latency, VR is a new 4K. PSVR is not a peripheral, it's new media. It can sell far more than 4K TVs Sony sell. To enhance VR experience, they have to raise the framerate and reduce latency. Adding raw computational horsepower and bandwidth is the only way to achieve the goal. It's already well known to them that marginal upgrade or half-assed abomination such as the PSX video recorder won't sell, let alone the original TV-focused PR of Xbox One. PS4K has to offer something that can please core gamers and justify a more expensive price to gamers. I don't think they suddenly forget it after PS4's success.

There is a nice APU coming up from AMD, it's very hard not to think AMD's sales guys pitched it to Sony/MS/Nintendo.
http://wccftech.com/amd-raven-ridge-apu-14nm-glofo-amkor/

It it's a 14nm APU. The power consumption should drop significantly so a simpler cooling mechanism should be sufficient.

If it is just a shrink of the current APU, yes. If they put a stronger GPU, then power consumption could still remain fairly high.

I would also like 802.11ac wifi and much quieter cooling.

Yeah. 802.11ac for sure.

Most decent 4K TV already have a good upscaler since there will not be enough 4K content for a while. Also it will add latency to games rendering. If PS4K has a dedicated user-programmable hardware for upscaling it may be an unnecessary cost in the future backward compatibility of PS5.

Upscalers don't *have* to add significant latency and you would expect the upscaler in a games console to have low-latency as a primary design criteria. Giving developers control over performance/quality decisions could minimize the impact even more. Also, by programmable, I mean configurable through an API. So, developers would select the algorithm from a defined list and set the parameters to best suit the content. In a potential PS5, these algorithms should be quite easy to run on the GPU with the added performance available to a true next-gen system.

Talking about latency, VR is a new 4K. PSVR is not a peripheral, it's new media. It can sell far more than 4K TVs Sony sell. To enhance VR experience, they have to raise the framerate and reduce latency. Adding raw computational horsepower and bandwidth is the only way to achieve the goal. It's already well known to them that marginal upgrade or half-assed abomination such as the PSX video recorder won't sell, let alone the original TV-focused PR of Xbox One. PS4K has to offer something that can please core gamers and justify a more expensive price to gamers. I don't think they suddenly forget it after PS4's success.

There is a nice APU coming up from AMD, it's very hard not to think AMD's sales guys pitched it to Sony/MS/Nintendo.
http://wccftech.com/amd-raven-ridge-apu-14nm-glofo-amkor/

This part would indeed make a fine console. It doesn't jibe with the latest rumors, though.

from own experience I can already tell the PS4 CEH-1200 is super quiet. So if they keep the TDP at the same level, and don't make the cooling systems/heat sinks too light, it should have the same audio level

I had the launch as well and compared to that, the newer CEC-1200 was super quiet. To the point that I was like: "did it go into standby I was only getting some tea and didn't leave for more than 5 minutes?" But when I walked up to it I saw the TV was still on, with the console running.
My launch PS4, while not extremely loud, I could still hear in my then small apartment when I walked into the kitchen :)

IF it's executed right, this would open up the console market and make it better. The only people who will nag about it will be the ones who don't have the PS4K/XB1.2. If the two new platforms can play the exact same games as the old versions, and if new games released can play on both, only a bit better on the newer versions, then it will be great. Like how some games play a little bit better on newer iPhones, but still play on older ones - only a little bit less messy as there would only be two variants of the platforms, and not one every year like the smartphones.

People who want the new model will buy it and enjoy it. People with the older models will still buy Uncharted 4 (as an example).

That way the market will NOT be fragmented, since the content for the platforms will be the same.

The problem will be when a new game requires the new versions to run properly or at all. That, I wouldn't support.

Also, I don't have a 4K TV. Would the new platform output 1080p with better AA, for example? Better frame rates? If so, it would still make sense for me to buy it. Then by the time I actually get a 4K TV (not any time soon unless I get drunk and impulse-buy one, one of these days), the PS5 should be out. And if they can carry on the forward compatibility to that one too, even better.

The days of completely incompatible consoles generations should end.

It won't be fragmented so long as Sony keeps it simple for developers and has some rules as well. Sony should require that developers have to release the game on both systems and that they continue to target PS4 for a while (couple of years or until next iteration) and just use the extra power on the new console for things like resolution and or fps.

If Sony manages to implement the development guidelines for both versions properly it will probably work out.

It won't be fragmented so long as Sony keeps it simple for developers and has some rules as well. Sony should require that developers have to release the game on both systems and that they continue to target PS4 for a while (couple of years or until next iteration) and just use the extra power on the new console for things like resolution and or fps.

If Sony manages to implement the development guidelines for both versions properly it will probably work out.

And how is that diferent from a new more powerfull console generation with full backwards compatibility?
How do you propose to make people understand that this is what is happening and not beeing on a old generation console, with a new more powerfull on the market that even runs the same games, but even better, after its current console life has been cut short after 3 years?
Oh... Wait... Its the number. 4.5 is not 5! That should do it. Just like the One after Xbox explains just fine that it is the 360 successor!
You are applying PC logic to a market that in 40 years never had that logic, and expect people to understand it?
There is a saying here in Portugal: "The diference between a cat and a lion is that you can pet a cat, but not a lion. If eventually you are able to pet a lion, it is not a lion anymore, but just a big cat"
Just replace, cat with PC and lion with console, and I think the saying, with the due adaptations, would fit right in.

And how is that diferent from a new more powerfull console generation with full backwards compatibility?
How do you propose to make people understand that this is what is happening and not beeing on a old generation console, with a new more powerfull on the market that even runs the same games, but even better, after its current console life has been cut short after 3 years?
Oh... Wait... Its the number. 4.5 is not 5! That should do it. Just like the One after Xbox explains just fine that it is the 360 successor!
You are applying PC logic to a market that in 40 years never had that logic, and expect people to understand it?
There is a saying here in Portugal: "The diference between a cat and a lion is that you can pet a cat, but not a lion. If eventually you are able to pet a lion, it is not a lion anymore, but just a big cat"
Just replace, cat with PC and lion with console, and I think the saying, with the due adaptations, would fit right in.

"people don't know what they want until you show it to them" - Steve Jobs

It's an experiment that I think Sony should try. Whether they do a good job of it/it's successful is another matter.

Consoles have already become specialized gaming "PC's" whether you like it or not. Has an OS, software updates, patches, have to install games...

Hardware iteration on a specific software platform will become the norm and Sony might be the first one to pull it off.

Honestly, these "how will the people know???" kind of arguments, also heard regarding PSVR ("how will the people know it needs a camera?!?") are so, so detached from the reality of product placement and marketing, I can't even begin to argue against them.

A lion is a big cat.

The lion (Panthera leo) is one of the five big cats in the genusPanthera and a member of the family Felidae. The commonly used term African lion collectively denotes the several subspecies found in Africa. With some males exceeding 250 kg (550 lb) in weight,[4] it is the second-largest living cat after the tiger.

But on subject the general public is far from being like the forum members who look for stuff to rage about they mostly will not care that this isn't the way that some people think consoles should be, they will just buy what's new & if this PS4 is doing 4K & they know it's the big thing now they will just get it.

I just don't know what's in it for Sony. The PS4 may sell at a profit but I doubt the margin on it is very good. The hardware is still a means to an end - PS+ subs and a % of sales on content. They should be trying to push the price of the hardware a slow as it can reasonably go to push adoption further, and you don't do that by paying whatever large up front cost they'd have to pay AMD to develop new silicon as well as any additional cost to the BoM of the console as a result.

It makes even less sense considering they have everything to lose. They have absurd amounts of momentum to the point where no change to the status quo is necessary. I'm really not convinced by the 4K BR arguement it just doesn't seem worth the trouble. I get that MS would be willing to try something like this - and it even makes sense now that Xbox is the budget entry device for their ecosystem, but I don't know why Sony would be compelled to do this. It really doesn't matter what MS do at this point anyway, Sony will continue to steamroll the market.

I think the takeaway here is something along the lines of how Apple views its own products, if you release X it will cannibalize Y; yes. But if you yourself are not willing to cannibalize your own product, someone else will; so it's best to cannibalize your own product on your own terms in a manner in which you control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back