Goggle Chrome random hangs?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Anyone had Chrome just stop working altogether* for you, all except for the red "X" close button in the title bar?

It happens every so often for me, I'm not sure what triggers it, if there even is one single trigger. Just now I randomly selected a chunk of text on a page and BAM. It hung on me. This has kept occurring once in a blue moon since I switched back to chrome sometime late last year, after I finally tired of shitty MS Edge running stupidly slow, crashing all the god damn time, not rendering pages correctly, and just not being very good on the whole.

Since maybe five months or so have passed, I'm sure Goggle has pushed a number of updates since then, yet the issue persists. (Number of Edge updates in same time period is probably 1...)

*It doesn't stop altogether as much as simply not updating its screen window. Clicking the close tab button in a tab and then closing all of chrome means it starts up with all the tabs except the one you closed (assuming it is set to re-open tabs on startup that is, but that's how I like it so that's the way it is. :))

*shrug*

@Grall

Yes and its annoying.

I dont know what exactly causes it but i usually fixed it by

taskkill /f /im chrome.exe

and then opening chrome again. it will have a yellow banner button to "recover tabs" :D

EDIT:

guys, is there a research about "computer bug is transmittable via discussion forum, especially those with B, 3, and D in its name?"

i think @Grall catches my disease

I haven't run into that bug, but I have run into something worse. If I have Chrome running and I then run a 3D game. There's a good chance that sometime in the next 1-5 hours the computer will completely lock up forcing me to turn the computer off and then back on.

Doesn't ever happen if I run the game with anything else, including IE. Only with Chrome. Another reason I've stopped using Chrome except for viewing Flash videos and websites. Occasionally I'll forget and BLAM computer lockup while playing a game.

Regards,
SB

@Silent_Buddha
You have AMD GCN-based graphics? Because I'm getting that shit as well. Try hitting any webpage that uses lots of 3D and/or pixel shading effects, like goggle maps, or Apple's icloud login screen while you have a 3D game up in the background in a window. A blue Guru Meditation quickly follows - for me anyhow. :)

Turning off GPU acceleration in chrome helps, but does not completely eliminate the issue, as it still occurs every once in a blue moon - sometimes while playing youtube video for example.

I used to have one, but currently I'm running an Nvidia card. Might go back to AMD when Polaris comes out, will have to see what the landscape is like then.

Regards,
SB

Hmm I'm your reverse. On gcn and pre gcn amd it works fine.

But I got that annoying crashing on Intel HD.

I stopped using MS windows for my daily and mission critical tasks, even though both my tablet, as well as my media pc run windows... 10 (legal even). Anyway.

How to stop every windows problem, or at least 90%
-backup your stuff
-copy the driver folder
-delete windows
-reinstall windows
-carefully look at which driver is missing, only point the system to the drivers which are needed
-reinstall the program which was causing trouble, without any plugins or stupid shit which could cause the problem
-find that the problem is solved
-reinstall the rest
-put your stuff back

My Intel Atom tablet is faster than most i5 and i7 windows systems which I come across. Browser is running at 2048*1576 or something, extremely fluid, 60fps scrolling. Then I go to a friends' house and see their i7 "gaming" PC lagging the shit out of simple websites. Because they have a bunch of stupid shit installed, taking up all system resources...

Windows 7 btw is extremely laggy after 1 month of use, even on 8GB i5+ systems, the double clicking, browsing, everything. Windows 10 is the best

Windows 7 btw is extremely laggy after 1 month of use
Not universally true, of course. If it was, nobody would have been able to use win7 personally or certainly professionally. I've run win7 installs successfully for a couple years with little in the way of windows rot to show for it. Only problem I had last time I re-installed 7 was that I partially screwed up IE by manually nuking its built-in flash files off the system drive and it never quite recovered. Windows Update kept failing updates to flash files that weren't there anymore, and I obviously couldn't play any flash media either.

...A bit crippling it was, back when HTML5 hardly was a thing at all, so eventually I tired and nuked that install. Otherwise, it worked just fine.

I understand, but I mean: Windows 7 fresh, installed all required software, as well as the updates. After a few reboots search updates> within a few seconds you will know what updates are available, how big, and so on.
Compare this to a windows 7 system which has been in use for about a month and look for updates then. It will take several minutes before you get a status update. Also double clicking something on a non-fresh system adds up to 100-200ms of lag compared to a fresh system.
opening settings within .5 seconds, this will become up to 5 seconds on a non-fresh system (bit older than a month though :-0)
Same for system startup or shutdown. 20-30 seconds to shut down a system, really? (when I already closed all applications before initiating shutdown) And so on. Of course there are many more examples, but to me that's extremely laggy.

Now windows 10 however... It still shutdown within seconds. Click the settings tile; immediate response as it flips into view. Not .2 seconds of wondering if you clicked it properly before you get visual feedback.

So I am not dissing windows, only the older 2011 versions :) Windows 10 really useful, as far as windows goes

Dude, I would scan my PC for malware if I was you... What you describe is not my experience.

My PC's (tablet and media pc) never behave like this; but I have them at win10. I will tell the people that have those laggy windows 7 gamer systems to do so :)

I stopped using MS windows for my daily and mission critical tasks, even though both my tablet, as well as my media pc run windows... 10 (legal even). Anyway.

How to stop every windows problem, or at least 90%
-backup your stuff
-copy the driver folder
-delete windows
-reinstall windows
-carefully look at which driver is missing, only point the system to the drivers which are needed
-reinstall the program which was causing trouble, without any plugins or stupid shit which could cause the problem
-find that the problem is solved
-reinstall the rest
-put your stuff back

My Intel Atom tablet is faster than most i5 and i7 windows systems which I come across. Browser is running at 2048*1576 or something, extremely fluid, 60fps scrolling. Then I go to a friends' house and see their i7 "gaming" PC lagging the shit out of simple websites. Because they have a bunch of stupid shit installed, taking up all system resources...

Not sure what you were doing wrong. But I haven't re-installed Windows since 2006 (Windows Vista). And I haven't done a clean install of Windows since then either. Every new version of Windows is an upgrade of the existing install.

I typically run into situations like yours with friends and family that practice unsafe internet habits (browsing unsafe sites, pirated software, software from questionable software repositories or file shares, etc.) or users that feel they need to install a lot of 3rd party programs either to customize Windows or to make "Windows run better" (which they never do).

Actually, now that I think about it. The people that I've known with the most problems are the people that use internet guides to make Windows run leaner and faster (which pretty much never works and almost always cause problems).

Regards,
SB

My windows 10 pc I think it was from xp upgrades. To Vista to 7.

Slow as snails when on 7 but become blazing after upgraded to 10.

Maybe windows 10 cleaned all the junk it got from various old hardware installs no longer used?

I even still have xp mode installed lol. A relic from Vista?

My Windows 10 desktop is my first windows upgrade ever. I've always done clean installs with new OS's. Working great though PCs and Windows have come far since XP/Vista days.

I always clean install. It keeps things nice and tidy. Only did the upgrade thing with win10 initially to activate the new key - afterwards I nuked the upgrade and re-installed from a clean slate.

Once I had a win install that would pause on bootup for like half a minute or so for no discernibly good reason (like maybe it was looking for network resources of some sort, even though it wasn't supposed to), and then would also take an excessive amount of time logging in from the password prompt. I would have hated to use that install as a basis for a win10 upgrade I was going to use every day. Who knows if the upgrade would manage to sort out the quirks windows had managed to acquire for itself...

I'd wholeheartedly recommend you Firefox. Edge has improved quite a bit, history is now actually available and it loads pages fast and a feature I like about it is that it shows what it loads even if your connection is bad and got interrupted, that's very useful to me when I am now surviving on low speed mobile data connection most of the time. It's a lot more usable now.

Maxthon is very nice too. You can also easily create a proxy with it, which can be very helpful in some cases when some link only works in a given country or countries.

Edge has improved quite a bit
Well that's interesting to hear. I still can't use it tho - because of Apple. :( I use iCloud to synch my bookmarks between my devices, and Apple hasn't added Edge support yet for whatever dumbfuck reason (most likely one: Apple being Apple, as usual)...even though IE is being phased out. (Yes, IE is still supported... *shrug* Go figure.)

Funny, for me it is on FF that it happend time to time. Seems caused by some "flash" ad banner on some really specific site. ( acceleration is disabled on both flash " player" and gpu ).

Back