Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

wait, we have to leave VR? :(
Last week's IGN Beyond podcast was very interesting. Marty (iirc) noted that it was really weird to dipping in and out of VR, taking up to (again iirc) 30 seconds to adjust to reality.

30 real or 30 virtual seconds?

Real. They made an interesting analogy with resonated. They said it was like being in the pool (VR), getting out (real) then getting back in the pool (VR). Immersing yourself in water always feels a bit weird, as does getting out then going back in again.

But I recall my hour or so playing Elite Dangerous using Oculus and coming out feeling a bit weird because with good VR and an immersive game, it really is easy to forget where you are. The best way I can describe that experience is akin to having a vivid dream then waking up suddenly and trying to come to terms with why you're somewhere else. I definitely did not expect that and it wasn't an unpleasant experience but it certainly was weird. Reflecting on it I wonder if you adapt to the more you use VR or you'll continue to experience conscious discontinuity.

edit: somebody who has also tried all three headsets said PSVR was the easiest to "get in" and "get out" on your own. I haven't really paid much attention to the fittings of the headsets and the Oculus I used was the second devkit.

Reflecting on it I wonder if you adapt to the more you use VR...
I'd put money on it. Your brain will adapt and prepare itself for the transitions. As long as you consciously choose to quit, you'll transition just fine. If someone/thing forces a stop, like the hardware crashing out mid experience, that will probably remain disorienting.

Well, that may depend a bit on personal psyche.

I'd put money on it. Your brain will adapt and prepare itself for the transitions. As long as you consciously choose to quit, you'll transition just fine.
This is the thing, I was prepared for leaving the ship in Elite but apparently not prepared enough. Your consciousness may be saying you're switching environments, or even rationalising you've never left the environment at all, however you have no control over your senses and VR has to trick your senses to work in the first place .

It's definitely an interesting experience :yep2:

Real. They made an interesting analogy with resonated. They said it was like being in the pool (VR), getting out (real) then getting back in the pool (VR). Immersing yourself in water always feels a bit weird, as does getting out then going back in again.

But I recall my hour or so playing Elite Dangerous using Oculus and coming out feeling a bit weird because with good VR and an immersive game, it really is easy to forget where you are. The best way I can describe that experience is akin to having a vivid dream then waking up suddenly and trying to come to terms with why you're somewhere else. I definitely did not expect that and it wasn't an unpleasant experience but it certainly was weird. Reflecting on it I wonder if you adapt to the more you use VR or you'll continue to experience conscious discontinuity.

edit: somebody who has also tried all three headsets said PSVR was the easiest to "get in" and "get out" on your own. I haven't really paid much attention to the fittings of the headsets and the Oculus I used was the second devkit.

Yeah, it was a bit odd when I played the kitchen demo so I know what you mean...and playing something like Elite where you are inside a simulator type experience I can imagine will be extra weird!

This is the thing, I was prepared for leaving the ship in Elite but apparently not prepared enough. Your consciousness may be saying you're switching environments, or even rationalising you've never left the environment at all, however you have no control over your senses and VR has to trick your senses to work in the first place .

It's definitely an interesting experience :yep2:

yeah, another example I thought of is a trampoline where when you first get off back onto solid ground it can be weird...the longer you're off real ground the harder to re-adapt.

Yeah, it was a bit odd when I played the kitchen demo so I know what you mean...and playing something like Elite where you are inside a simulator type experience I can imagine will be extra weird!

An hour in Elite Dangerous is the only experience I've had with consumer VR. I can definitely imagine the effect is more pronounced the longer you're "in there".

Roll on the PSVR version of Better Than Life(tm).

yeah, another example I thought of is a trampoline where when you first get off back onto solid ground it can be weird...the longer you're off real ground the harder to re-adapt.
The more experience you have of transitioning, the less impactful it'll be. So I'm confident that after some use, DSoup will not find it quite so jarring.

Hmm so cutesy VR avatars interacting with each other?

Looks like PS Home, and likely about as successful.

I would imagine Facebook bought OR for applications other than games. So maybe there will be non-gaming VR content developed for it and maybe ported to PSVR, given that it's likely to have a much larger installed base?

Yeah, people are the worst.
82770a7841039848cdf4e38497a4d267.jpg

Hmm so cutesy VR avatars interacting with each other?

Looks like PS Home, and likely about as successful.

I would imagine Facebook bought OR for applications other than games. So maybe there will be non-gaming VR content developed for it and maybe ported to PSVR, given that it's likely to have a much larger installed base?

PS Home didn't support jumping or have physics, so it was doomed, and not at all comparable ...

(Of course obviously VR actually does also make a difference)

October October October October October October October October October October

I feel like squidward :/

Btw has Sony announced launch games? They said 50 games are coming but which ones?

Wondering if ace combat will be a launch title...

Gran turisme surely won't be a launch title.

Drive club VR is now unknown with closing of evolution.

Bandai Namco still insist summer lesson is only a tech demo.

And what stuff is inside the demo disc?

Back