Imagination Technologies Chief Executive change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they can win some new soc design for the gpu part. It's all they have with PowerVR now... But it seems everyone except Apple is making their own gpu now, so it'll be hard. I don't know what their endgame is... The day they lose Apple, they're kind of dead, no ?

I love PowerVR, I'm still nostalgic about PCX1, 2, Series 2 & all that stuff.

I hope they can win some new soc design for the gpu part. It's all they have with PowerVR now... But it seems everyone except Apple is making their own gpu now, so it'll be hard. I don't know what their endgame is... The day they lose Apple, they're kind of dead, no ?

I love PowerVR, I'm still nostalgic about PCX1, 2, Series 2 & all that stuff.
IMG has way more than a single big customer, although Apple is its most famous one and probably the one generating the most income.

But it seems everyone except Apple is making their own gpu now, so it'll be hard

Everyone, really? Care to name those, beyond Qualcomm, who are actually shipping their own GPU tech in the mobile AP space in any significant way? I can think of only one significant vendor that has had their own parallel ongoing GPU development, and even they continue to ship licensed GPU IP in the majority of their products.

IMG released a statement yesterday, confirming that they are divesting most of their "non-core" elements. "core" is defined as GPU,MIPS and Ensigma. Getting rid of all the sub-units that were needed to support the radio design business, and also reducing their SOC design capability. 200 redunancies, in additiona to the 150 already announced.

However statement confirms they are still looking to fill 50+ PowerVr vancancies.

To me, looks like a great piece of refocusing.

With SoC design capability do you mean IMG works? https://imgtec.com/soc-design/imgworks/ ....if yes no idea how useful it is considered by IMG's partners but the idea behind it is anything but bad IMHO, since if done right it can really accelerate time to market for any of their partners.

They aren't killIng IMG works, but are refocusing. I suspect a lot of the business came from non-core, i.e. associated with the radio business or in relation to some of the companies they had significant shares in (now sold). If that's the case then it's logical it'll need downsizing.

Everyone, really? Care to name those, beyond Qualcomm, who are actually shipping their own GPU tech in the mobile AP space in any significant way? I can think of only one significant vendor that has had their own parallel ongoing GPU development, and even they continue to ship licensed GPU IP in the majority of their products.

Well, Samsung is not using PVR anymore, right ? Ok Samsung doesn't make MALI, but still. And they are working on their own. At one point, Apple, Intel, Samsung (and other) used PVR. Now, it's only shrinking for them.

Eh maybe my vision is false/wrong, I hope for them.

They aren't killIng IMG works, but are refocusing. I suspect a lot of the business came from non-core, i.e. associated with the radio business or in relation to some of the companies they had significant shares in (now sold). If that's the case then it's logical it'll need downsizing.

Unless I'm missing something it's not even present on IMG's homesite anymore. I had to search for it to find the relevant page.

Well, Samsung is not using PVR anymore, right ? Ok Samsung doesn't make MALI, but still. And they are working on their own. At one point, Apple, Intel, Samsung (and other) used PVR. Now, it's only shrinking for them.

Eh maybe my vision is false/wrong, I hope for them.

That still doesn't change the fact that QCOM aside the majority of players are using GPU IP and not in house IP. Samsung isn't selling peanuts exactly in terms of volumes while being the biggest Android player and there's still Mediatek and other semis that all use GPU IP.

It's not that IMG won't have a BIG problem if Apple should not renew their contract in the future, but it's not the case either that their only GPU IP sold is with Apple because you're not aware of it.

Arstechnica running a story today citing "a source with knowledge of the discussions", that Apple are in advanced talks to buy IMG.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/03/apple-acquire-imagination-powervr-gpu/#p3

With IMG in a current state of flux, it's not surprising that these sort of things rear up. Apple have long been seen as the only potential buyer of IMG, given Apple's bottomless pit of money, it's history of buying in tech, and it's total reliance in PowerVr for it's entire IOS line of products. The fact that IMG had this completely irrelevant and loss making PURE division was seen as a good reason not to buy. One of course can take retrospective facts and fit a story, but selling PURE, closing down a lot of tangential departments, getting rid of non-relevant shareholdings, cutting the workforce by 20%, could be pre-conditions of, or indeed just nicely make the company somewhat more attractive to, a purchase, or none of the above.

I can't see what Apple would do with MIPS, I can see that Apple might find much of the Ensigma IP relevant to their products.

ARM of course would love to see IMG GPU becoming Apple's in-house GPU. It would effectively leave the entire 3rd party GPU IP business to them, and they could also start increasing prices.

Last edited:
I'm not in the least surprised either. If not the rumors definitely seem to give a nice stock value push as they're at 219 pennies right now.

I can't see what Apple would do with MIPS, I can see that Apple might find much of the Ensigma IP relevant to their products.

Pour that MIPS engineering talent with the right amount of resources into their CPU development and it could be worth more than you can imagine right now ;)

Ok .....http://www.fudzilla.com/news/40280-apple-set-to-buy-imagination

The Dark Satanic rumour mill has manufactured a hell on earth yarn that claims the Fruity Cargo Cult Apple is about to write a cheque for the British chip design company Imagination Technologies.

According to Ars Technica Imagination is denying the rumours, but that is probably because it signed one of Apple’s typical NDA which are so tough they make a masonic oath look lightweight.

Or it's just that the author and website in question is so God damn predujiced against anything Apple that they could twist anything in a negative sense against them. How come none of the masterminds of Apple conspiracy theories at that trash tabloit site haven't yet come up with the possibility that Satan's grandchild in the form of Apple is possibly just trying to scratch a bit it's partner's shoulder? Oh and not to forget it's of course all Apple's fault for any condition IMG is in today; in a negative sense always what else.... :runaway:

Last edited:
In an unusual move, Apple has just released a statement:-
From time to time, Apple talks with companies about potential acquisitions. We had some discussions with Imagination, but we do not plan to make an offer for the company at this time.

Very VERY unusual for Apple to get public like this about their discussions with others. Confirms that they have indeed spoken to IMG in relation to a potential acquisition.

You might expect IMG to make the announcement, but given their NDA is so tight that employees are required to use public key encryption if they want some granny smiths at the greengrocers, its probably not so surprising if they had to request Apple to make one.

Ars Technica also updated their piece with this:
Updated: Apple has issued a short statement to the London Stock Exchange, confirming that "We had some discussions with Imagination, but we do not plan to make an offer for the company at this time."

I'm of two minds regarding this news. It would have been interesting to see where their GPU tech could have gone with the full financial weight and focus of Apple to back them up. On the other hand, a more independent ImgTec refocused on their core business is also interesting.
An ImgTec diversifying into dead ends is the least appealing option in my book.

What's happening to their raytracing tech? Unaffected by the cuts, or did it get amputated?

Seeing how they push RT in shows (MWC, GDC etc.) and their recent blog entries it doesn't sound like its affected. I'd like to stand corrected but RT is part of the PowerVR GPU IP department. What probably makes it so difficult to find a licensee for the ULP SoC form factor is most likely that the majority of players in that market are not as gaming oriented yet, as IMG as an IP provider would need in order to get the technology out of their door. They mentioned deployment of RT to be expected in 2-3 years from now in their last yearly financial presentation, but no idea if there's actually a licensee for it secured yet.

Predictable: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40290-apple-says-it-does-not-need-imagination

Jobs’ Mob was considering buying Imagination Technologies but walked away from the deal.

...and acquired Johnnie Walker? What exactly guarantees that IMG didn't want to get acquired? Not that I know anything about it, but neither does the author either.

The announcement ends speculation that Job’s Mob would bail out the troubled British company.

Bail out from what?

It is not clear why Apple changed its mind. It is not short of a bob or two. We guess that since Apple has thrived without any imagination for a while, it does not really see a need.

Guess harder next time, maybe you eventually become a wee bit more than a wannabe journalist. Even worse one of those rare exceptions with integrity.

Predictable: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40290-apple-says-it-does-not-need-imagination

...and acquired Johnnie Walker? What exactly guarantees that IMG didn't want to get acquired? Not that I know anything about it, but neither does the author either.

Bail out from what?

Guess harder next time, maybe you eventually become a wee bit more than a wannabe journalist. Even worse one of those rare exceptions with integrity.
Never read anything by Nick Farrell.

However, there is bound to be something interesting buried here. If Apple were actually considering buying ImgTech, when was it, and why did they reconsider? Problem is, there is no way we can do more than speculate.

Early this month one of the readers here asked me in private if there's a possibility Apple to buy out IMG. It was due to an incident that couldn't have been a pure coincidence. I asked around in the background but apparently noone I had asked had a clue and there was no chance in hell any of the IMG folks would be allowed to even utter a peep regarding the matter even off the record. I'm still surprised how arstechnica found out, but I have the feeling that since it was already 2 weeks too late probably negotiations might have ended even before arstechnica found out.

Pure gut feeling from my side but IMHO IMG simply didn't want to throw the towel just yet and I can also understand the notion behind it if it's true. Yes IMG had to let some folks go, but that's understandable when the company tries to kill all probable redundancy and starts some good housekeeping. The message that floated around in the background after their CEO left, is that there will be sacrifices but things can turn quickly to the better.

Some loose lips that might not impress Apple. I seem to recall the "a" word was used more than once by the new/interim Ceo in one of his conference calls. And now we have what looks like a leak. That leak of course could be from a disgruntled employee who has recently lost his/her job, but that person would have to be very senior to know the discussion were taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back