Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Nope, this is from the latest patch. SRQ set to max.
This only appears with SSAA enabled, doesn't it? Thought I saw someone post a set of images, and this happens with 2xSSAA & 4xSSAA - slightly less egregious with the 4x.

What just happened to this forum?

Back in the days (maybe let's call it "Quaz51 era"), such things would have been discussed seriously.
"Bug Number: Ship it."

Repeat ad nauseum.

Low res buffer issues are kind of obvious at this point, so who knows what went wrong with the buffer chain without knowing anything about the engine?

I'm sure I could care more about such things, but the best you can hope is that the developers are given the luxury of time to fix something in a complex engine.

Or 7 years later, talking about pixels has become dry/rough and needs some smoothness. Maybe lighten up. Being forward is so last decade.o_O

Last edited:
This only appears with SSAA enabled, doesn't it? Thought I saw someone post a set of images, and this happens with 2xSSAA & 4xSSAA - slightly less egregious with the 4x.

It does in some places, in others it doesn't seem to care about AA at all. This picture was without AA (injecting SMAA with ReShade) but i tried switching between them and it didn't seem to matter. RotTR definitely has inconsistent IQ overall. I would say it's the worst offender for image quality from the few AAA games I've played the last 4-5 years at least. It's that bad that when i entered the Soviet Camp area i felt compelled to just stop playing the game all together and wait till they patch in TAA (if they ever do that). Luckily, most of the tomb areas and the ones later on in the game don't suffer as much and the game manages to showcase some incredibly beautiful environments.

Last edited:
wslBsKv.jpg

Is that trilinear filtering in QB? On the other hand, AO looks really good in that picture.

The guy down the hall looks like he's in cowboy pose - about to reach for his six shooters.

Reach for them guns, hombre :yep2:

Looks good, resolution looks very low though 720p or even lower! though it looks like theres a high res (1080p) noise filter over the whole image. Globaliser will be choking on his coffee about that

Another two static images
1920x-1

1920x-1

Fine detail looks smudged but i like how stable the game is in motion. Not sure about the final resolution though, might be blurring the game too much. Interested to see how the game will run on my system :p

I'm not sure but I think there is a dynamic ratio between movement speed and screen resolution! (Higher speed => lower resolution!?)

Their TAA might resolve into full-resolution buffer, so when you stand still you get sharper image.
Pretty sure first game to do something like that was Dust514 on ps3.

I can't remember, but that Killzone game on Vita did something like that, no?

Edit:
Never mind. That was dynamic resolution. Game stayed native res as long as you weren't moving, but drop conditions hinged on things like player movement.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2911665/qu...p-in-its-opening-moments/#XtgjEd5I21FPZWMw.99

"Quantum Break’s 1080p output is a temporal reconstruction from four previous 720p 4xMSAA frames. This approach gets us high pixel quality in combination with complex shading and effects, allowing us to achieve a cinematic look. However, varying sample counts between passes and temporal upscaling makes talking about resolution, as it is traditionally understood, complicated in the case of Quantum Break. Since the start of “Quantum Break’s” development, the most important thing for Remedy and Microsoft has been delivering a compelling gaming experience with superior artistic quality. This is what Remedy is renowned for. We’re confident that we have achieved this, and can’t wait to hear what fans think on April 5 when they play the game."

I think those reconstruction techniques (like in Killzone MP, Siege and now Quantum break) are still way behind the real deal. Native resolution using high resolution effects and textures using expensive high resolution buffers.

When you try to get cheap in every aspects of the game: by reducing resolution of effects, increasing compression in every assets, reducing the different memory sizes allocated to buffers etc. In the end it really shows IMO.

2 years later, still very few games come close to what we had with Infamous Second Son IMO: native resolution, high quality morphological AA + super-sampling effect from the temporal pass, high resolution textures with at least 8xAF (in an open world game), tons of very detailed particles effects, very large memory buffers for numerous effects like the wetness parameters (>80MB for the g-buffer, ring a bell?), while having scenes with more than 10 millions polygons at a stable 30fps.

I remember when Infamous SS was released and some people here were arguing about the validity of having such big memory buffers so that they could use more compression here, or use this trick there in order to reduce the overall size of buffers. But the uncompromising and opulent tech used in Infamous is still giving an end result that is still one of the best IMO.

Actually, Killzone's technique would result in a 100% identical 1080p image if motion was still, and something that looks near identical even when in motion, due to the interlacing pattern, and reprojection does a much better job than deinterlacing would do. Quantum Break's technique could never achieve that. At the best it's slightly better than a regular upscale from 720p.

It resulted in artifacts. That's how it was figured out...

Then Guerrilla with their excuse of "but our technique is very computationally expensive". Yeah well, then why not just use real 1080??

Also, Quantum Break is not a "available" game technically, it's an "upcoming" game :p (yes I know nobody cares, and given a lot of review copies are out very early it probably blurs the lines)

Back