PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a demand to play PC games remotely on a console? It'd be a nice feature and not hard to implement (there ought to be a remote standard, really), but I can see it being something completely overlooked for more important features.

Maybe if they could partner with Valve they could enable the in-house streaming stuff to playstation. Works with a game controller and the interface is really good.

Is there a demand to play PC games remotely on a console? It'd be a nice feature and not hard to implement (there ought to be a remote standard, really), but I can see it being something completely overlooked for more important features.

With the cross-play, if there's no cross buy, then cross streaming will be nice to have

So it doesn't matter you buy pc or xbox games. You can play it everywhere. Complete with the achievement and save progress for the same account

Maybe if they could partner with Valve they could enable the in-house streaming stuff to playstation. Works with a game controller and the interface is really good.
Sony wants games played on their ecosystem, not the opposite.
And Sony is making Remote Play on PC an Mac.

Sony wants games played on their ecosystem, not the opposite.
And Sony have no control over what the customer wants. If somebody wants to buy a PS4 as a Steam receiver and Netflix box they can either let them do that (taking a profit on the console sale and perhaps more if that customer then decides to buy/rent other content) or not.

What companies want is irrelevant, companies need to give customers what they want. Companies they don't will lose sales to companies that do.

What companies want is irrelevant, companies need to give customers what they want. Companies they don't will lose sales to companies that do.
Again, what proportion of PC gamers want to stream their PC games to PS4? Is it really worth investing in? Sony's track record with PC software is sketchy at best, and they'd need to handle support requirest for gamers encountering who-know-what problems. It seems to me more an issue for AMD and nVidia to support, with Sony making a client on PS4 for their standards. nVidia certainly has PC streaming. I presume they'd be open to allowing PS4 to use that.

Again, what proportion of PC gamers want to stream their PC games to PS4?
Neither of us know exact figures but what is certain is there are people who have gaming PCs which aren't connected to their TVs but who would game on their TV if there was an easy solution - rather than moving the PC and/or messing about with cabling. I do and my MacMini servers that purpose but Steam BigPictureMode integration into XBMC/Kodi is a little rough.

edit: typos.

Yep, it'd be great if we could somehow get a steam app on PSN to enable in-home streaming with Ps4 :smile:

I do and my MacMini servers that purpose...
If I were Sony, I'd feel inclined to leave that solution to things like Windows Stick PCs. It's not going to be the difference any sizable number of potential PS4 buyers picking XB1 instead - the primary reasons for a console will be the deciding factor, and Sony's comfortably out front there.

Yep, it'd be great if we could somehow get a steam app on PSN to enable in-home streaming with Ps4 :smile:

Well, there IS a movement for cracking PS4 security and installing Linux. Users with 1.76 can already access exploit for starting unsigned code and Failoverfl0w crew has provided Linux that works [but no info how to exactly install it].

It won't be easy, but those who REALLY want to stream PC games to PS4 will be able to do it one day. :)

If I were Sony, I'd feel inclined to leave that solution to things like Windows Stick PCs. It's not going to be the difference any sizable number of potential PS4 buyers picking XB1 instead - the primary reasons for a console will be the deciding factor, and Sony's comfortably out front there.
I don't want Sony resting on their laurels, I want them adding more functionality and letting devices connect to my PS4 that would benefit from PS4's connected TV and controller would seem like an obvious give :yes: The downfall of categorising the 'primary reasons' for owning a console is that these will vary customer to customer. Netflix probably wasn't on Sony's radar when they developed PS3 but PS3 became the most popular platform for accessing Netflix for several years.

Well, there IS a movement for cracking PS4 security and installing Linux. Users with 1.76 can already access exploit for starting unsigned code and Failoverfl0w crew has provided Linux that works [but no info how to exactly install it].
There is a dedicated thread for this somewhere. The trick is finding a factory new PS4 from August 2014 that was shipped with firmware 1.76 and has never been updated. Good luck with that! :yep2:

I don't want Sony resting on their laurels, I want them adding more functionality and letting devices connect to my PS4 that would benefit from PS4's connected TV and controller would seem like an obvious give :yes: The downfall of categorising the 'primary reasons' for owning a console is that these will vary customer to customer. Netflix probably wasn't on Sony's radar when they developed PS3 but PS3 became the most popular platform for accessing Netflix for several years.
TV TV TV! Everyone with a console attached to their living room TV watches TV. How many have a gaming PC and want to stream? Again, it's a nicety, but one can think of other higher priority features that'll obviously affect more users or just be less effort to implement for the limited return.

You're missing the point as widely as Microsoft. You don't need a console to watch TV but you can use something connected to your TV already, like a console, as a gateway to the TV (and the controller) for other devices. Anything with s smaller screen where the content benefits from a bigger screen and/or better control device.

One universal gateway so you don't need a ChromeCast and an Amazon FireStick and a box to Stream from Steam.

I know. I'm not missing anything. I'm saying the effort to implement probably isn't justified. There are simply too many niche services to cater to them all, just like internet radio on your PS4 (made available via a third party app in the end). If nVidia want to write a GameStream app for PS4, Sony probably won't say no, but we shouldn't be looking to Sony to enable PC streaming on PS4.

It doesn't sound like a lot of effort. Sony have been deploying remote screen experiences for almost ten years and Valve have done most of the work already. A streaming framework already exists in the PS4 OS.

Nvidia don't allow streaming to anything that isn't Nvidia. You need a Shield to stream to a TV. I don't see why they'd be interested in supporting PS4; there is just no benefit to them doing that. There is also the matter of their ego - they've shown nothing but disdain for these consoles, probably because they aren't powered by Tegra.

Probably more because of business side of things rather than technical side. Like when Yoshida-san explains about ps4 cross play with xbox one

Yup. And I don't need Nvidia to support streaming, I only need Valve to support it. And they do. On my PC with a Nvidia GPU to a non-Shield device connected to my TV. I don't care what Nvidia wants :nope:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back