PowerVR Wizard Architecture

That's not what the french quote is saying. They said that the GR6500 is the same configuration (except the RT block of course) that the PVR found in the Iphone6, but the clock speed is doubled.

That can't be right: it says if I'm not mistaken that the GR6500 clocks at 600MHz. The GX6450 in the Apple A8 should clock somewhere in the 500+MHz region.

VR might prove to be the killer app for ray tracing, with foveated rendering and all.

May be IMG's ray tracing efforts aren't doomed.

I might remain sceptical with the whole ray tracing story, but those demos here are one hell of a good job:

http://blog.imgtec.com/powervr/gdc-2016-ray-tracing-graphics-mobile
They do look impressive.

They need to start getting some licences. I can understand that the fact it is so different, meant that they needed to show it in real silicon to demonstrate that it matches their claims, but now that they are doing so, if they don't get any bites, it'll have been one hell of an long and expensive tech demo.

It's also much better to work with that a regular rasterizer which is a bloody pain with all the hacks you have to make to get something remotely correct...
Many AAA games are voxelizing and ray tracing on GPU for one thing or another (GI, distant shadows...)

Back