Feasibility of an upgradeable or forwards compatible console *spawn*

All posts from gaf insider who announced a month early what was gonna happen on last E3 [of course, treat this all like unconfirmed rumors]:

- Won't be overly expensive
- Wait for e3 (possible reveal)
- Possibly releasing at the end of this year
- Will run ps4 games at higher fidelity, but won't have exclusive games made for it. Kind of like iphone6s vs iphone6. Will be running the same apps, but better.
- Will be capable of 4k gaming

"-you don't have to fork over more money!
-your existing ps4 will still be the base for ps4 games!
-this is not a new gen, they have 30m+ userbase on existing ps4 consoles!
-there are only some issues if you're jealous! :p"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198654597&postcount=4818

I think a PS4 that plays games better than the current PS4 is a terrible idea. A 4K Blu-ray/Netflix etc compatible PS4 might work (I might even buy one), especially if it has SSD and similar improvements.

Unless these are essentially 'free' feature enhancements as a consequence of using new HDMI controller and new Blu-ray firmware, then 4K video looks way too niche to justify a distinct SKU. Sony will have to spring for the H.265 decoder licence (for Blu-ray) but frankly this just does't seem bold enough for today's Sony.

If Sony want to continue to stay ahead of Microsoft they'll either need to keep pushing on all fronts, or alternatively consider have scantily clad dancers in schoolgirl outfits personally install your PS4 on purchase. One of those two things. :yep2:

Unless these are essentially 'free' feature enhancements as a consequence of using new HDMI controller and new Blu-ray firmware, then 4K video looks way too niche to justify a distinct SKU. Sony will have to spring for the H.265 decoder licence (for Blu-ray) but frankly this just does't seem bold enough for today's Sony.

If Sony want to continue to stay ahead of Microsoft they'll either need to keep pushing on all fronts, or alternatively consider have scantily clad dancers in schoolgirl outfits personally install your PS4 on purchase. One of those two things. :yep2:

the scantily clad MS dancers are rumored to be making a PS VA va Voom title :runaway:

IMO this story is click bait, we will probably see a PS4k for Blu-Ray playback but it's not happening for gaming any time soon. Someone either doesn't understand what they are reporting on or is deliberately hoping for clicks.

If games need patching for that, then "PS4 ultra" is DOA.
So no, i guess.
Que?
Surely a simple, free patch would be 1000000 times better than what we get today. Ain't nobody got time to re-buy the same games as "HD/4K remasters" every bloody generation. I'd much rather have it this way.

Que?
Surely a simple, free patch would be 1000000 times better than what we get today. Ain't nobody got time to re-buy the same games as "HD/4K remasters" every bloody generation. I'd much rather have it this way.
I meant: it's either automatic scaling(no need for devs to interfere, unless, maybe, they want to) or PS4K is DOA.

The game would get patches every 2 minutes anyway, like today. I really don't see the problem here.
With Uncharted 4 - Maybe not. With the whole concept - Yes. That's why PS4K, if it's not just a wild rumour blown out of proportions, conventional patching wouldn't/shouldn't be a thing. We're getting off-topic, though.

It is interesting that if PS4 slim uses a new APU or just shrinks the current APU.

If PS4 slim uses Zen+Polaris then it can have smaller die size and less power consumption, which can reduce BOM effectively. Even designing a new APU is more expensive, but it may be still worthy considering lower BOM of tens of million of PS4 slim.

Sony have PSVR to launch this year, having a new platform would be a terrible idea. Something like the PSP 2000 might be a good idea (depending on the added features).

The closest thing to a PS4K I can see justifiable will be a PS4 Slim with 4K movie capabilities.

The home video market has shrunk to the size of an M&M but if they want to start releasing 4K Bluray players, then they might as well put one in the next PS4 SKU and hope people will buy some of those disks.

Personally I'd do it for 4K Netflix and Amazon as they will most likely be the most accessible providers of 4K material.

With 14/16 nm and GDDR5X Sony could potentially target anywhere between a few percent faster and 200% (3x) faster without ballooning beyond their current console.

Current GCN but more of it? GCN with Delta compression? Polaris? Same CPU to maintain same baseline? Same CPU but higher clocks? Steamloller? Zen?

It'll be interesting to see where they go!

Sony have PSVR to launch this year, having a new platform would be a terrible idea. Something like the PSP 2000 might be a good idea (depending on the added features).

Sony having options is only a good thing and the market will decide will it's a good idea or not. Game consoles are the last bastion of closed technology ecosystems where hardware options are severely limited and where compatibility with old software is routinely ejected for new products. Why? Because every other industry has decided to give consumers a range of options and worked out that letting consumers buy into the ecosystems also means they're more likely to stay there.

The technology employed in current consoles was designed at the architectural level to be scaleable beyond the performance envelope of the current consoles and scaling these and this has never been such an accessible option for either Microsoft or Sony.

High price of Bluray doesn't help. DVD: £3 Bluray: £15

What you mistakenly seem to have done completely by accident is use the price of a new movie on Blu-ray with the cheapest bargain basement DVD price. Whereas in fact, if you look at say, for example Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it's £15 on Blu-ray (limited edition) and £10 on DVD (standard edition). So uh.. yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back