The Console Arms Race: Is This What Console Gamers Want?

Do you like the idea of half-cycle (tick-tock) upgrades and forwards compatibility?

• Total voters

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
It seems Sony will follow suit, on upgrading the PS4 hardware, not just for PSVR and 4K playback... but for gaming as well.

So, are console gamers prepared or even willing to buy into Sony's and Microsoft's new plans towards 3-4yr console revision cycles?

I'm perfectly fine with it providing the software and key hardware is forwards compatible and the immediately older generation scales back in resolution and eye candy. This provides for an overall 6 to 8 year console lifetime.

Seems risky to deprecate the PS4, when it is leading market share and they can milk it with cost reductions.

And Sony doesn't really have a big motivation to promote 4K as it did in promoting Blu Ray with the PS3. They sell 4K TVs but it's not a hugely profitable business. They also haven't introduced a 4K Blu Ray player like Samsung has and Panasonic is about to.

I would have no problems with them doing it. It'll likely be backwards compatible with PS4 games anyways. But can they make the jump to support 4K rendering with possibly HDR and also support 4K Blu Ray playback (as well as 4K Netflix and 4K Amazon streaming) for $400 launch?

Or would it more likely be upscaling games to 4K and UHD Blu Ray playback with HDMI 2.2?

Not tech discussion. I'd even say no discussion as it's rumour at this point and might not happen. I'll close this thread as it's already discussed in the Upgradeable Console discussion.

Not tech discussion. I'd even say no discussion as it's rumour at this point and might not happen. I'll close this thread as it's already discussed in the Upgradeable Console discussion.

Is there a poll on this thread though?

There's no poll on this thread that I can see. Was there one? Does Shortbread want one? Opened for that discussion. If there's no poll, further discussion on this still hypothetical situation should reamain in the other thread.

Do you want it personal - "Is this what you want?" - or people's predictions - "Do you think console gamers will be happy?"?

But that's what the Xbox 360 was.

/troll

Didn't that last like 8 years (2005-2013)? I dont get this.

Unless it's some sort of RROD joke.

I definitely dont want it. Too confusing. It also effectively means the end of lower hardware prices. PS4.5 isn't going to be cheaper, at best it will be the same price (with better hardware) in lieu of a price reduction that would have happened otherwise. Consoles will effectively be 349-399 forever.

I do think tactically IF we actually do this, it will benefit MS this gen, since I believe the main driver of PS4's adoption has been it's superior specs. If we go to leapfrogging rather than static consoles that becomes a non-issue.

I hate the idea really. It's going to mean what power we do have in a Ps4.5/Xbox 1.5 isn't used anyway, if forwards compatibility is to be maintained. All you will get are 60 FPS, some cleaned up textures maybe, basically like PC ports of console games now.

Also, great potential to confuse/turn off casual consumers.

It seems like both players are dabbling with this, but it'd be interesting what we would see if one of them was a solid 6-12 months ahead on release of their "2.0" consoles. Would it goose sales or hurt them?

Instead of this I would rather just see slightly shorter generations, where the hardware doesn't get so outdated. 360 hardware was pathetic in 2013, I dont want that to happen again. 5 years generations, at most 6 years, would be better IMO. A 5 yr gen would mean we'd be seeing a new PS/Xbox in late 2018, or just 2.5 years anyway.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly fine with it providing the software and key hardware is forwards compatible and the immediately older generation scales back in resolution and eye candy. This provides for an overall 6 to 8 year console lifetime.

Not disagreeing with you... but the problem that I see now, there is no path for current XB1/PS4 owners on upgrading their current systems (other than purchasing all new hardware). Future wise, hopefully PS5 and the next XBOX will have physical ports (internally or externally) on making it easier for early adopters on transitioning into later upgrades.

The bigger question is: will this new model (revision cycles) kill immediate sales? Wouldn’t most gamers just wait for the more beefier revised model, rather than waste money later on upgrading?

I think Kotaku as screwed up big time! And they just don't know what they are talking about.
The 4K PS4 was never a secret! Here she is!
I believe this is the cause of all the confusion. The rest is just misinformation!

A 4K console would basicaly be a new console. And that would kill client confidence in Sony. Ps4 is selling very well, and a new price tag, and a new console so soon would not be good for Sony's image.

Did you read the Kotaku story? There's now way they got confused with the old story. It maybe wrong and bullshit, but it's about playing games in 4K and VR, not movies.

If priced right, and executed right, then yes. I think it's good for everyone running low and high end hardware, as long as the software makes the most of it. Unlike PC or mobile, two active models is still a small enough target for devs to use them efficiently. It'll be less risky for devs to migrate to the high end eventually when there's enough of an install base. There'll be an immediate benefit for those who upgrade in running their old software in better quality, and a more extensive library for new buyers.

The only reason to dislike the idea is a very rational fear that execution will be botched and you'll either have a half-hearted new device or the old device will be castrated early forcing more expensive upgrade cycles.

Not disagreeing with you... but the problem that I see now, there is no path for current XB1/PS4 owners on upgrading their current systems (other than purchasing all new hardware). Future wise, hopefully PS5 and the next XBOX will have physical ports (internally or externally) on making it easier for early adopters on transitioning into later upgrades.

The bigger question is: will this new model (revision cycles) kill immediate sales? Wouldn’t most gamers just wait for the more beefier revised model, rather than waste money later on upgrading?

It's the same way of upgrading all previous Sony and Microsoft consoles. Sell the old and buy the new. There's at least 160 Million console gamers who didn't see that as an issue when moving from PS2 / Xbox Original to PS3 / Xbox 360.

I don't want to deal with upgrades as in keeping the original hardware. I'd rather hand down the old console hardware to a niece/nephew/sister/brother or move it to a spare room or bedroom instead of having to plug in some sort of hardware like in the PC realm.

Back