Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Cool to see a game using a similar (though slower) combat mechanic as in Sports Champions in there. This is turning out to be a huge new platform launch.

Excellent Cluckos!
This gives us unparalleled knowledge

The TV view of the PSVR is slightly cropped, as Sony and others have stated, so lower FOV. I don't think the distortion is 'unwrapped' by the MINI PS4.
I figured the fast head movement would trigger the reprojection/timewarp to cause the distorted part of the VR image to come into frame. Not only that, but my hypothesis was that a black frame would be shown as well, as indication that we were looking at the edge of this image.
I was only half right, as is demonstrated by frame 231 from your .gif ;

GS3CZVd.png

Look at the dashboard-display showing the score/time/position. :cool:
So Sony's reprojection method does not only shift the image around, it mirrors it along the edges as well, so it's less visible to the PSVR wearer; it's not ideal but at least it eliminates the potential 'black border' artefact which the basic reprojection method would have.

The view on the screen is not exactly what you see with PSVR, i think they said it's rendered independently and at different res/framerate.

Still here it is in gif form: http://abload.de/img/drvri2s82.gif

I think normally what you will see on the screen is a postprocessed version of what the player sees. So there is likely to be some overlap.

By the way, have you heard of this newfangled thing called webm? It's this thing from 2010 that is far better than animated gifs and by now is fully supported by pretty much all browsers. ;)

Only some distortion towards the edges where you aren't looking. Most of that footage is suffering from ghosting which may be combining 120 fps into 60 fps for the TV?
I don't think they will be combining frames, it's more expensive than showing every n'th frame for no good reason. This is what happens when you shoot an lcd TV with longer exposure than each frame stays on screen, and it's how I understand whether a game is running 60fps on a 30fps camera feed :)

The view on the screen is not exactly what you see with PSVR, i think they said it's rendered independently and at different res/framerate.

It depends. Some game will render a second "social" view for the TV so people can interact with the VR player from a different perspective. This involves creating a second render target that is encoded as a h.264 and pushed to the breakout box via USB to be played on the TV. Most of the time the TV view is just a mirror of the VR view from one eye that has been dewarped and rescaled for the television.

The first wave of pre-orders for the NA bundle (PSVR + 2 Move Controllers + PS Camera + PS VR Worlds) go up on the 22nd of March at 7 AM CT (10 AM ET) for $500 USD, $700 CAD at "participating retailers".

There will apparently be a second wave of pre-orders in the "Summer".

The standalone $400 headset only "is not available for pre-order"

25870702715_107d48e633_z.jpg

The first wave of pre-orders for the NA bundle (PSVR + 2 Move Controllers + PS Camera + PS VR Worlds) go up on the 22nd of March at 7 AM CT (10 AM ET) for $500 USD, $700 CAD at "participating retailers".

There will apparently be a second wave of pre-orders in the "Summer".

The standalone $400 headset only "is not available for pre-order"

25870702715_107d48e633_z.jpg
I guess this is pretty much confirmation that they're not going to revise the Move controllers. I might hold off until E3 before I buy a couple of them though (I don't own a PS3).

PlayStation VR has gone straight into #1 on the Amazon UK bestsellers for "PC & Videogames". Considering that demand seems to be really high, I wonder if Sony will step up manufacturing to compensate? It'd be interesting to see all countries with largeish populations and whether demand is high everywhere.

The PS4 camera is placed #9 in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this is pretty much confirmation that they're not going to revise the Move controllers. I might hold off until E3 before I buy a couple of them though (I don't own a PS3).

PlayStation VR has gone straight into #1 on the Amazon UK bestsellers for "PC & Videogames". Considering that demand seems to be really high, I wonder if Sony will step up manufacturing to compensate? It'd be interesting to see all countries with largeish populations and whether demand is high everywhere.

The PS4 camera is placed #9 in the UK.

They could make minor revision though. Like....

Changing from mini USB to micro usb

Edit.
Or it could still be using mini USB and when you checked the mfg date, it's 2010 or something lol

My take on it:
BTW, here is my optimistic representation of how much gameworld is visible in the social screen feed
oculus-rift-sdk-0.3.141kcx.jpg

The 16:9 social screen feed may well have smaller coverage. This video of Playroom VR "Ghost House" demo features two very different viewpoints - "VR player view" and cropped "social screen"... but we will have to wait for real world tests too really see exactly how much of the VR is covered by Social Screen.
vr184jfj.jpg

vr27dj49.jpg

I don't think they will be combining frames, it's more expensive than showing every n'th frame for no good reason. This is what happens when you shoot an lcd TV with longer exposure than each frame stays on screen, and it's how I understand whether a game is running 60fps on a 30fps camera feed :)
You're right, it'll just be recording camera artefact.

Diehard, I believe you are correct about the cropped portion.

Btw there a 2 modes for the MINI PS4 HDMI output:
1) display a cropped portion of 1 eye from the HMD, upscaled to 1080p
2) display a 720P 30fps H264 feed upscaled to 1080P : this is the 'social screen' feature; socials screen can be a completely different viewport and is rendered independent from the HMD view

Fairly lacking quality for social gaming, but I suppose it can't be helped as there's not enough BW. PS4 should have had a second HDMI port...

Diehard, I believe you are correct about the cropped portion.

Btw there a 2 modes for the MINI PS4 HDMI output:
1) display a cropped portion of 1 eye from the HMD, upscaled to 1080p
2) display a 720P 30fps H264 feed upscaled to 1080P : this is the 'social screen' feature; socials screen can be a completely different viewport and is rendered independent from the HMD view

Sony is calling both modes as "Social Screen" [both mirroring and coop]. They have done so countless times in video coverage of various events where PSVR was demoed.

Back