I won right to buy the PS4 20th Anniversary Edition, What should i do with it?

Only when you've learnt how to read and are well practiced in it. Your brain then does sufficient pattern matching with expected results. It'd be impossible to learn to read with messed up material like that*. Nor could you successfully read some other language. eg. try to read this (don't have to understand it, just need to pronounce it)

When in correct form, it's parsable and you could get something out that a French speaker might be able to understand.

* Okay, not impossible if you had enough people giving lots of examples of reading mixed letters. You'd learn to recognise them eventually, only making your life a hell of a lot harder! However, you'd have no means to learn new words, so when presented with a scientific term like hxorontdphynhyleyeal, you'd never be able to interpret that as hydroxyphenylethanol which is otherwise a doddle to read because it conforms to the rules of English phonetic construction.

Teaching of English went very "whole word" for a long time, and it was crap. Now we focus more on phonetics and it's much better, although whole-word recognition is still part of reading strategy (it's natural after all, as per your example of how we can use image recognition to read gibberish).
Are you a tachikoma

Heh, this isn't exactly a PS4 anniversary edition or a high-end TV set, but today I was out to buy some paper tissues since I was running out of them at home (and only some paper tissues!), and the stores I usually buy them had stopped carrying the brand I like (Lambi Balsam, with Aloe Vera), so I was trying a different place, a fairly upscale supermarket at the outskirts of a fancy-pants part of town.
As I'm walking through the small galleria towards the supermarket, a dude in a black shirt standing at a pulpet-like table of some sort sticks a pen in my hand. "Hey, you? Want a pen? It's a pen and a touchscreen tip!"

Oh, okay. Thanks.

"Oh, and have a free rebate coupon too. By the way, you on either of these carriers?" He mentions three large, well-known cellphone service providers.

"Yeah, I am."

"Okay, come with me to verify."

I'm feeling a little suspicious, not knowing exactly who or what company I'm dealing with, if it's some fly-by-night scam operation, but at least he gave me a free pen! It's kinda heavy for its size, and the rubber tip at the end seemed nifty too. (I tried it after I got home, and yeah - it works. Might aid my slow-ass text typing speed, if I remember to use this thing...)
So the guy pulls me over into a small store opposite the cash registers of the supermarket, tells me they've just opened and are doing a special offers marketing drive. He offers a deal that's kind of dumb to refuse: if I accept a completely free Sony Xperia M4 Aqua, he'll knock €5 off my monthly bill, starting month after next.

Good deal, yeah? lol

I thought so, so I agreed.

He then wanted to sell me a power bank that was also a battery-powered cellular wifi access point for when I'm out and about with my macbook or ipad, but that would cost me €8.5 a month until my contract runs out he said, so I declined. He then offered to knock the price down to €5/mo, "same cost as what you're paying now! This is one of our most popular devices! It's awesome!" Yeah, it was a nice looking gadget. Battery phat enough to charge up a tablet, and an access point too... I'm a gadget freak, but I don't really need another gadget that badly when my phone has a hotspot of its own, so I declined again.

Then the guy said I would receive a starter kit for free too, which consisted of a fairly large box with a headset with earmuffs, a small phone-sized powerbank, and an antivirus package. (I also found a micro USB-with-lightning-adaptor-cap USB extension cable and a USB power adapter for car cigarette lighter plugs in there when I got home.) I signed the papers, and went my merry way, a cellphone (which I don't need and won't ever use since I'm on iOS) richer... :p

They didn't have my tissues across the hallway either by the way, but I bought some Kleenex ones that seems comparable. We'll see if they're any damn good or not. My phone buzzed, and it was my phone service provider, congratulating me for staying as a customer. Hm, okay... Why are they doing that...? *gears start spinning in my head*

Then on the bus I read the text I'd received a bit more closely. It seems I've agreed to stay on for an additional two years - something the enthusiastic dude neglected to mention (second time one of their representatives do this I might add), so now my contract runs out 17th march 2018... :LOL:

Not that I had any plans switching by the way. My SP is consistently amongst the best in the nation in speed/coverage comparisons, and this is the second time they lower my bill (and first time, giving me free minutes and texts, and bumping my data cap to 15.5GB), just to suck up to me and make me extend my contract. Oh well. And I did get a nice pen too!

Just need to test it to see that it actually writes, heh...

That seems like a good deal!! you can sell the phone if you don't need it

Btw if you declined the Android phone, would they have lowered the contract even more?

In Holland a big case was decided in the supreme court a few week ago; Phone providers are in the wrong for advertising "free phones"; because it was like this: a sim-only contract would be 20 euro, a contract where you got the newest Samsung 'for free' when singing up for 2 years was 50 euro..
The cost of the samsung would be 500 euro if you were to buy it without a contract... 24 months*50 euro is 1200 euro... the actual call/data costs are 20 euro a month and thus 480 euro... so the actual costs of the samsung were not 500 euro, but rather 720 euro.
Now they are working things out, but the court said that people should be able to hand in their "free phones" even if damaged, broken, or missing (when missing they subtract the current, day-value, which is next to nothing for phones after x years), and you get the new-price back!!

This will cost the companies billions if everybody is going to be handing in their 'free phones'.
Also, in my example, after the 24 month period, they would keep the 50 euro a month instead of lowering it to 20.. So every one who didn't get a new phone, can get money back on the contract as well. Good times incoming! My phones for the past 10 years are 3000 euros when I add them all up. But a lot of people in Holland choose a +500 euro phone every 2 years. so they will get even more.
The companies btw can't fight it anymore, because the supreme court is the final, final decision. So either they overthrow the government or file for bankruptcy. In other cases they need to pay

Btw if you declined the Android phone, would they have lowered the contract even more?
Nope! Then I would have gotten nothing! That's the weird part... Lol.

Well, the pen! And the rebate check.

I HAD to accept the phone to get the lower monthly bill, and the box with the headset and shit. Not that it's much of a burden, it seems like a pretty good phone actually (apart from only 8GB built-in flash, but there's a SD cardslot, so not that big a problem.) You buy it new, lowest price I found is about €220 roughly. I'm Swedish, so we don't use the euro...

I'm thinking of what to do with it, probably I'll just give it away. I've done that with other stuff, old game consoles, old console games, old DVDs... Generally, I feel it's a hassle trying to sell stuff, and you give it away you're making someone happy. There's a lot of low-income families with kids in the apartment blocks where I live, someone could use this phone I'm thinking.

a completely free Sony Xperia M4 Aqua, he'll knock €5 off my monthly bill, starting month after next.
(which I don't need and won't ever use since I'm on iOS).

your iphone dont work underwater :p

Xperia M4 Aqua is the LAST Xperia phone that sony market as waterproof (instead of water-resistant) not only with high IP rating but also in its marketing material. Unlike its little brothers/sisters where sony super discourage you to use their phones underwater.

btw when underwater, its only useful to take pictures or video because it have hardware camera button and everything else are unusable (no wifi signal, no cell signal, touchscreen cant be touched)

orangpelupa, officially, none of their phones are waterproof now:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/09/10/sony-changes-stance-on-waterproof-phones-do-not-use-underwater/

they retracted all previous marketing and statements to avoid future lawsuits :(

That's why I said

" XperiaM4 Aqua is the LAST Xperia phone that sony market as waterproof"

Anything newer no longer marketed as waterproof. Just water resistant.

Edit :

Depending on local laws, it can be the user or the company that need to prove who's at fault.

I read somewhere that in EU, for the first 1 year the company is the one need to prove that user at fault.

After that, for the next 1 year, it's the user that need to prove the company at fault.

For my country, the company have all rights to refuse warranty however they say it without proving anything.

Read the article, this is NOW Sony's stance for ALL phones they EVER put out:
"
  • The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures. Do not use the device to take photos while performing any type of activity underwater, including diving or snorkelling."

Read the article, this is NOW Sony's stance for ALL phones they EVER put out:
"
  • The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures. Do not use the device to take photos while performing any type of activity underwater, including diving or snorkelling."

but they mentioned specifically for M4 Aqua as fine underwater:
http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-m4-aqua/features/

"The Xperia M4 Aqua Android phone brings you the same innovation in waterproof design as Sony premium smartphones, protecting against water as well as fine dust particles. You can take photos and videos 4.9 feet under fresh water for up to 30 minutes."

although they also have double disclaimer for general phones:
http://support.sonymobile.com/us/dm/waterproof/ (underwater is not OK)
http://support.sonymobile.com/us/dm/water-and-dust-resistance/ (underwater is OK)

thats why i said M4 aqua is the last. its the last Xperia that specifically advertised and stated as OK underwater. anything newer is not to be used underwater.

I thank you guys for the intricate discussion on the subject, but I'm not going to dip my new phone into water, and especially not if I'm to give it away... :)

I thank you guys for the intricate discussion on the subject, but I'm not going to dip my new phone into water, and especially not if I'm to give it away... :)

Certainly not before you update the firmware.

@BRiT
Yeah, I was thinking maybe I should do that to make sure it has the latest stuff on it (since many people don't understand why they should update their gadgets), but then I'd have to run through the initial setup and then it wouldn't be "factory new" anymore. But maybe I could wipe it after I have updated it...

*shrug*

@BRiT
Yeah, I was thinking maybe I should do that to make sure it has the latest stuff on it (since many people don't understand why they should update their gadgets), but then I'd have to run through the initial setup and then it wouldn't be "factory new" anymore. But maybe I could wipe it after I have updated it...

*shrug*

probably you can update without setup if using the PC suite. but much easier to just skip lots of the early setup, update, then wipe.

according to my little brother, the memory management is better on the latest FW.

Update it and do factory reset. Done. Basically it is the first thing I do when buying a new phone. I actually hope that a new phone have firmware update when I check it, otherwise I felt a little bit empty inside my heart, probably a feeling that the phone maker doesn't care about my phone... that miserable feeling when you discover that they stop updating your phone firmware and forcing you to buy a new phone for the latest software feature... That miserable feeling when I see a new phone with A7 quad running Android 6 while my S600 krait quad still stuck with Android 4.4.2 and often times I press that check for updates button although I knew deep inside my heart that the update wouldn't come....

Back