Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, i'm actually confused why they even tried to spin this as real-time or targeting 60 fps. Trying to show off i guess? You should really only reveal performance metrics when you have something up and running.

Detroit Become Human trailer is not real-time. It is running on a PS4 but not at 30 fps. Some effect like the true 3D DOF will be downgraded...

Last edited:
Detroit Become Human traoler Iis not not real-time. It is running on a PS4 but not at 30 fps. Some effect like the true 3D DOF will be downgraded...

Yeah but it's not like they're saying everything is real-time or what they are targeting. I also think it was too early to show U4 in that E3 but that's how it goes with flagship franchises i guess...

Yeah but it's not like they're saying everything is real-time or what they are targeting. I also think it was too early to show U4 in that E3 but that's how it goes with flagship franchises i guess...

At least the said in engine in the trailer

c0HE8I.png

tris: 48571 if i'm reading it correctly

That part of the Maya HUD will only count triangles visible in the viewport window BTW. However we've known for a while that Drake's head model alone is something like 20K quads on its own; and even though only a part of it is visible, there's still the hair, eyes, eyelashes, stubble which add a considerable amount too.

Also, about the holster stuff. It's quite easy to do some rigging and have the position and rotation of the holsters' joints driven by the movement of the upper arm and the shoulder blades. It's known that ND has some plugin stuff in Maya to make that easier and more precise, and it's also a lot faster to do than any physics stuff. They can also bake the animation of every joint in the character into the various anim clips so it doesn't even have to run in realtime on the console. Very efficient in processing, only takes a little more memory for the animation clips. And in cinematics they can even go in and tweak it by hand as they want, I guess. Keep it simple, stupid :)

Why are quads preferred over triangles btw?

Is it because quads are bi-linear in nature and thus better approximate curved surfaces?

Or is it simply the fact that you need roughly two times the number of triangles to mesh a surface in comparison to quads for the same size?

But I think it is a bit more expensive to project a quad in comparison to a triangle?

Probably the software they use is based on 3D sculpting that uses quads. I am not sure if quads are less intensive than using triangles or if it is the same. But if they convert the model into triangles afterwards then it will be made by at least double the amount of quads it had originally I presume. Now if one quad is just as intensive as running two triangles that make the same quad I dont see a difference.

Triangles are practical with small lower poly parts/objects especially with low poly budget. But since the head has large density and the polygon budgets are significantly large nowadays they probably work also with quads

I asked about the holster, the foliage animation the hair animation and his shirt animating because we don't usually see this stuff in games. The last game i can remember that had animating trees was Witcher 3 (and can't remember many games implementing wind affected animated foliage on that scale beforehand) :yep2:

Quads are better suited for the asset creation pipeline and that's all. Now that poly counts aren't as strict, it's just easier to leave the triangulation to a final and mostly automated part of the pipeline.

For example in zbrush, sculpting is easier, you can just keep subdividing the mesh and get a nice quad mesh whereas a triangle intensive model would be harder to sculpt on. The tools just work better.

I have a lot of errands tomorrow after work, but I'll try to illustrate this with some screenshots. Maybe it'll only be done on monday, I have a hiking trip on Saturday to prepare for :)

This is actually pretty damn moving. It's pretty damn rare to enjoy even just a few years where your everyday life is built around a close circle of friends, people with whom you can overcome all the struggles and difficulties and such. Spending something like a decade with those people, and working on the same thing, creating and nurturing the same fictional characters, that must be really special, especially in these times. Whatever UC4 ends up becoming, this is going to be something to remember anyway. Who the hell would care about the pixel counters now, heh? :)

I can't believe that Crysis was released for PS3 and Xbox 360. Even looking better than the PC original, which was no slouch either. I wonder how Crysis would look if developed for PS4 instead..

Quads are better suited for the asset creation pipeline and that's all. Now that poly counts aren't as strict, it's just easier to leave the triangulation to a final and mostly automated part of the pipeline.

For example in zbrush, sculpting is easier, you can just keep subdividing the mesh and get a nice quad mesh whereas a triangle intensive model would be harder to sculpt on. The tools just work better.

I have a lot of errands tomorrow after work, but I'll try to illustrate this with some screenshots. Maybe it'll only be done on monday, I have a hiking trip on Saturday to prepare for :)
Just wondering and I am not sure if you know, in terms of performance, is there a difference between using quads or triangles?

*The moment you realise you spend too much time on B3D*

As soon as I saw the word Quad in Laa-Yosh's post, I thought "oh dear, now the thread will turn into yet another quad vs tris discussion"

Is the release still set for today? Anyone downloaded it yet? or is it going online after a predetermined time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back