Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

I guess we should applaud Remedy for at least trying. When it's not breaking up, it shows extremely interesting visuals. The character models also received a lot of love. If the PC version has a stable, clean image then their methods are redeemed IMO!

It's definitely up there when it comes to complexity, real-time GI isn't easy (to get an idea you can read on this presentation by Q-Games: http://fumufumu.q-games.com/archives/Cascaded_Voxel_Cone_Tracing_final.pdf). My main gripe with the game is that it's very reliant on screen space techniques which break very easily.

I believe that is the effect which L. Scofield (and others) constantly mistakes for GI;
QnW6gpN.jpg

"Look at the excellent GI; the light is bouncing from the railing onto the wall.. this is the most next-gen advanced lighting right here"
Those artifacts are the result of a "time rift" effect (or whatever Remedy calls it). At least try to pay attention :LOL:

http://gfycat.com/SeveralFlusteredJanenschia

As for this example:

EA2ml9s.jpg

There are no artifacts on the reflected light from the handles even when the camera changes position quickly. A pretty great example of SSGI.

Those artifacts are the result of a "time rift" effect (or whatever Remedy calls it). At least try to pay attention
While I cannot confirm all the GI or lack of GI going on, I can say LScofield is totally right about this one.

There is a definite rift effect happening in that scene.

Those artifacts are the result of a "time rift" effect (or whatever Remedy calls it). At least try to pay attention :LOL:

http://gfycat.com/SeveralFlusteredJanenschia

As for this example:

EA2ml9s.jpg

There are no artifacts on the reflected light from the handles even when the camera changes position quickly. A pretty great example of SSGI.

Great example. The game offers up plenty new to gaming and presentation.

Ignore those playing biasisms and needing to knock something down for feels.

Hmm, i'm not so sure if it's actually SSGI anymore, example on another door:
1vnb0y.jpg

2kibo7.jpg

Or maybe that's exactly because of their GI implementation, is this supposed to be light bouncing, reflection? The game looks flat out weird sometimes. The weird thing in this image specifically is that the door is actually reflecting the side that's not facing it (right side of Jack).

1vnb0y.jpg

2kibo7.jpg

Or maybe that's exactly because of their GI implementation, is this supposed to be light bouncing, reflection? The game looks flat out weird sometimes. The weird thing in this image specifically is that the door is actually reflecting the side that's not facing it (right side of Jack).

It's the nature of quantum breaking particles! Duh!!!

All games take some shortcuts here and there. That is probably a reflection mapping technique in conjunction with everything else going somewhat wonky.

1vnb0y.jpg

2kibo7.jpg

For starters that door is under a completely different lighting setup. Secondly, the issue there is with the character reflection rather than any bounce lighting.

That comparison makes no sense.

You're judging shadow quality from a twitch tv video? What bitrate is that, 3? Youtube not much better.

Thanks Ranges. Without your wise commentary, no-one here from beyond3d would remember to temper their analysis of footage to the fact its subject to compression artifacts...

My coment was mostly a joke, and it refered to the numerous cases where huge shadow texels were very discernible and flickered on-and-off even in controlled cutscenes and character close-ups ( which to some extent I believe is due to a bug ). The truth is, maybe, at least those cutscenes, just dind't get that final pass of refinement where shadow bounds are manualy ajusted shot-by-shot, and also, I know the exemple shown was probably for pc, and probably from a cutscene on an extremely constrained environment. Actual gameplay sections weren't so terrible, except for certain sections where the farther cascades of the sun were a bit too blotchy looking.

Soundtrack preview of QB on soundcloud:
Liking what I've listened so far, fast paced, electronic with lots of strings (kinda reminds me of Deus Ex: HR) :p

Last edited:
Noticed something very interesting in the latest DF footage, making a small gif to demonstrate it and uploading some pictures as well. The effect is this, and it's not related to any time power
2x5so7.jpg

That's it in motion
qb1twsrh.gif

And it goes on until this point
15l7stz.jpg

Any guess as to what might that be?

Last edited:
Back