Gears of War 4 [XO, XPA]

If gears had hdr then shadow of the colossus should count as having HDR as well. Ainets : the lights in the back have 'less light', that how I knew it was real time, this time

FP10 might not be the highest precision available but it definately counts as HDR. Tonemapping is present also, as in any HDR-enabled game.

Perhaps what you meant to say is that it's good to finally see Gears in linear space, filmic tonemapped FP16 HDR.
Yes forgive me for not being specific, but still wouldn't count FP10 to be true HDR in any respectable way since its precision is just not enough to reproduce what I regard as HDR. Anyway It's nice to see the sequels of many great old gen titles to receive a healthy linear space HDR boost from their LDR cousins of the ancient times such as KZ, Ratchet, Gears and MGS series.

Yes forgive me for not being specific, but still wouldn't count FP10 to be true HDR in any respectable way since its precision is just not enough to reproduce what I regard as HDR. Anyway It's nice to see the sequels of many great old gen titles to receive a healthy linear space HDR boost from their LDR cousins of the ancient times such as KZ, Ratchet, Gears and MGS series.
Considering that HDR TVs and videos use 10bit precision, FP10 is for all intents and purposes HDR. Going by the logic that FP10 isn't enough compared to FP16, we might as well say the same of FP16 compared to FP24 or even FP32.

Both use a non FP16 model, and both are only capable of tone mapping through trickery as you call it. But sure, if you want to believe that older gears titles had HDR, then if it makes you feel better: Yes, Gears has always had HDR and SoTC doesn't :)
SotC doesn't even use FP10. It's just a bunch of areas defined by boxes that tell the game to become darker or brighter/bloomier. It's explained quite clearly in the article I linked to. You're welcome to read it at your leisure ;)

Considering that HDR TVs and videos use 10bit precision, FP10 is for all intents and purposes HDR. Going by the logic that FP10 isn't enough compared to FP16, we might as well say the same of FP16 compared to FP24 or even FP32.

SotC doesn't even use FP10. It's just a bunch of areas defined by boxes that tell the game to become darker or brighter/bloomier. It's explained quite clearly in the article I linked to. You're welcome to read it at your leisure ;)

You are 100% correct, Gears has always had HDR and SoTC doesn't :)

Btw looking at the Gears 4 screenshots, could anyone point me to the HDR? Because there is not a single HDR in those screenshots...

The standard is FP16 and above and you can clearly tell the difference.

1c2c3a-1460146141.gif

https://twitter.com/GearsofWar/status/718503923019939840

Last edited:
Back