Stuff that we'll probably not be seeing in videogames for a long time

Uhm, where to start :smile:

Real-time physics calculated destruction with millions upon millions of particles

I'll cheat and add another one, ray-traced subsurface scattering for most objects in a scene (image from how to train your dragon 2)
ssshowtotrainyourdrag9gsfo.jpg

Last edited:
Another one, very good looking result for realistic looking fur. Main characters have over 2 million strands of fur on their head:

Exceptional animation as well but we're getting there :smile:

Nervgear

Or whatever it will be called when games can directly have two way communication with brain directly.

I'd love to see some advanced skeletal animation with simulated musculature at some point. Also the cloth physics to go along with it.
Weird deformations around the shoulders have been bugging me forever, and almost every game with humanoid characters has these issues. (Street Fighter V does a phenomenal job with it. Big Kudos to the riggers at Capcom)

Last edited:
Some sort of global collision preventing animated characters from clipping through walls and decorations, other NPCs even.

A nice little video explaining how the renderer used in Disney studios calculates bounce lighting, translucency and path tracing, it's meant to be sort of eli5 (explain it like i'm five) but it's still very informative

Their end result in Zootopia (the sss on the rabbit ears is simply gorgeous)
zootopia_film_17pvxet.jpg

More info here and here.

Last edited:
Yes, please! Also, some collision system which can prevent characters clipping through their own geometry as well.
Indeed, would love to see a full plate armor of a knight to properly as well. (or scales of a dragon..)
It's way too common to see metal which bends with character animation.

Not everything can be brute forced now, but devs can fake many things now so if this gen gives me more games with the technical excellence and IQ consistency of Order 1886, I will be veeeeeery happy [my next big hope in that department is Detroit].

On the next round when we get PS5 or whatever is MS planning with upgrading Xbone, we will be able to do way more. I'm hopping for a stronger CPUs, so devs can handle more unique objects on screen.

FFXV's engine is really amazing. IK animation systems, pathfinding, world collision, particle system, etc all look really good.

I would love tissue simulation for characters, especially in 3rd person games you have to stare at the character for long periods of time. Anything to get rid of the ugly clipping, deformation and UV stretching that have been the norm for ages now.

FFXV's engine is really amazing. IK animation systems, pathfinding, world collision, particle system, etc all look really good.

I would love tissue simulation for characters, especially in 3rd person games you have to stare at the character for long periods of time. Anything to get rid of the ugly clipping, deformation and UV stretching that have been the norm for ages now.

Getting closer, i think by next-gen most of these issues will have been solved. At least for TP games. Both FFXV and U4 are using IK for animations and it shows, clipping should really be a thing of the past (at least the most obvious parts, like human hands and characters) but we'll have to wait a bit to see widespread use of IK and more sophisticated animation systems.

Last edited:
Getting closer, i think by next-gen most of these issues will have been solved. At least for TP games. Both FFXV and U4 are using IK for animations and it shows, clipping should really be a thing of the past (at least the most obvious parts, like human hands and characters) but we'll have to wait a bit to see widespread use of IK and more sophisticated animation systems.

IK isn't the solution. Clipping happens mostly due to coarse bounding boxes and using approximations to determine when something collides with something else. And this happens because it's computationally expensive to do precise collision detection of every vertex of every character model on every piece of world geometry. It'll get better for the studios that don't mind using those resources for that at the expense of other things in the game, of course.

So for example, if you have very limited AI or just very few AI actors in a scene, you could dedicate more resourses to collision detection and increase the fidelity of the bounding boxes and collision detection points. If you don't have a lot of gunfire, you have more resources available. Etc.

Everything in games is a compromise between having X feature be better at the expense of Y feature being more limited.

Most games have it far down on the list of important things to have because they think other things are far more important. Thus a game with a lot of AI will likely always have some quite noticeable clipping (Open world games with lots of AI, MMOs, RTS, etc.). Corridor shooters with limited exploration and limited AI will have the option to do significantly better with those things. So things like The Order 1886 (brain dead AI and limited AI actors) or Ryse could have done something with that. But something like Final Fantasy XIV (brain dead AI but LOTs of AI actors and lots of player controlled actors) wouldn't have been able to.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

It seems like there is one or two major process nodes before chip designers start to seriously hit the quantum barrier. Do you think Polaris and Pascal on 14nm and 10-7nm GPU's will be powerful enough to implement some of the above effects?

Back