Gears of War Ultimate edition for windows 10

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
This just went up on the windows store , $29.99 and a 52.8GB install.

I bought it since I had credit on the store. Its still downloading so I can't give to mayn impressions but hopefully tonight I can play an hour or two.

However oone thing I don't like is I have to install it to the c drive , there is no way to change installation

Go to (Win10) Settings -> System -> Storage -> Save Locations -> New Apps will save to #butts

Btw, there is/was apparently a bug in Win10 regarding the download % bar (there's an update out I think), but just leave the thing to download and install. Don't pay attention to the erroneous meter if it happens to not budge or behave.

Go to (Win10) Settings -> System -> Storage -> Save Locations -> New Apps will save to #butts

Btw, there is/was apparently a bug in Win10 regarding the download % bar (there's an update out I think), but just leave the thing to download and install. Don't pay attention to the erroneous meter if it happens to not budge or behave.

thanks for the information , I guess we can't split where stuff is installed. Might be time for a 1TB drive next time I see a good one at $200.

The game downloaded fine , took about 3 hours. at 1080p I put everything but motion blur on and at the highest settings and I'm getting about 60fps with my r9 290

I played on PC, messed with the map editor a bit, and was part of some of the old standing threads with the other PC gamers. There is such a HARDCORE following with the PC gears players, and some AMAZINGLY talented guys playing GOW 1 PC. I hope this news reaches all those guys and girls, and I hope the Gears PC Ultimate edition offers the map editor as well. I may not get this version, but honestly, this is huge for the community. Thanks Coalition!

Wow that's terrible. AMD GCN 1.1 and 1.2 cards affected? Who the hell did QA for this, Microsoft? :LOL:

How kind of them to leave GCN1.0 alone considering all the rebrands AMD has been shovelling into the market. /s :rolleyes:

Doesn't D3D12 need even more optimization effort per architecture than prior D3D versions?

What I'm waiting for is AMD and NV to drop yet more new architectures and see how the performance goes with new games for the previous tech, and old games that don't get patched for the new tech.

Last edited:
Doesn't D3D12 need even more optimization effort per architecture than prior D3D versions?

What I'm waiting for is AMD and NV to drop yet more new architectures and see how the performance goes with new games for the previous tech, and old games that don't get patched for the new tech.
I think that would defeat the purpose of an API if that were true. Or if it is true, that would be a major flaw in this new world of lower level APIs.

The optimization effort I hope will likely centralize around the drivers I think. The API never really changes. You either support the feature or you do not. With d3d12 being new, all those weird legacy calls shouldn't exist. It should work pretty good IMO.

If developers are to blame for poor performance then no one will use d3d12. How could developers code for so many different architectures.

From what I understand, lower level means more sensitivity to the hardware architecture. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm thinking of Mantle here and remember the problems GCN 1.2 had with old games.

Last edited:
Multiplayer Notice
If you are intending to play Multiplayer, we strongly suggest you download this update now. Playing without this update may result in extended wait times or an inability to find a match in multiplayer. Please go to the Windows Store, then select Downloads & Updates to begin the process.

A new update has been released for Ultimate Edition For Windows 10 that addresses the visual issues with AMD graphics cards and the Ambient Occlusion setting. If you disabled this setting, you can turn it back on following these steps:

To turn ON Ambient Occlusion:
- Launch Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10
- From the Main Menu, go to Settings
- Select Video and set Ambient Occlusion to ON

Additional Note on AMD Performance
AMD is an important partner bringing the promise of DirectX 12 to life for gamers everywhere. We are working closely with them to address a few issues encountered in Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10 on AMD cards using GCN 1.1/GCN 1.2, and expect they will be addressed quickly in an upcoming update. We highly recommend those on GCN 1.1/1.2 cards to play on 1920x1080 resolutions or lower until the update. Please visit AMD support pages for the latest on AMD drivers and software.
https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ix/5dc281ac-1975-4fb9-ac4b-3d8824107317/posts

Back