DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

I'm not criticising the performance of the game, I'm pointing out how worthless the recommended specs part is. Just saying "fastest parts" is meaningless and potentially counter productive from a sales POV. Recommending a nameless AMD part that probably doesn't exist is some next-level ether. It's not a "specification" in any meaningful sense.

The primary point was actually that in this early DX12 game the "minimum" CPU - something you'd expect would be below console quality - is still massively, massively faster in than console. Twice as much CPU in order to get a lesser experience is probably not what most would be hoping for from PC DX12.

That picture of PC specs is outdated, they already fixed it. The "Recommended" in that is actually for Ultra settings.

That picture of PC specs is outdated, they already fixed it. The "Recommended" in that is actually for Ultra settings.

The GPU specs are a lot more reasonable now (outside of Ultra) but there's not much change in the CPU specs:

http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-pre-orders-and-previews-launch-windows-10-version-announced/

Personally I think that devs just don't pay any attention to CPU specs anymore. Game performance in CPU terms varies so wildly from the recommendations that they're not worth the paper they're written on.

Regardless, there are funny stuff on those minimum specs.
The GTX 760 is not in the same league as the R7-260X. A R9-270 is more like it.
Nevertheless the DirectX 12 gains on AMD hardware seem to place these two cards side by side. If not why didn´t they recomended the R9-270? (GPGPU usage?)
But then we have the CPUs. FX 6300 and i5 4460.
The FX 6300 Piledriver has 16 SP Flops/Cycle with 8-wide FMA per each module (two cores). This makes the 3.5 Ghz FX 3300 with 6 cores a 3.5*6*16/2=168 Gflops machine.
The i5 4460 is an Haswell CPU, with 32 SP FLOPs/cycle with two 8-wide FMA (fused multiply-add) instructions per core. This makes the 2.7 Ghz i5 4460 with 4 cores a 2.7*4*32=345.6 Gflops machine.
Quite some AMD advantage here, and a lot of CPU extra power above console specs, I totally did not expect for a DirectX 12 game.

I was talking to MS employees a few days ago and they said that the XboxOne SDK will receive a big update soon. It would give much better performance for a lot of operations. Could it be DX12 related?

I was talking to MS employees a few days ago and they said that the XboxOne SDK will receive a big update soon. It would give much better performance for a lot of operations. Could it be DX12 related?
no.
The timeline for that is long past. Fable Legends on XBO is already running DX12.

XBO SDK is generally behind it's competitor. So this would be addressing a lot of poor performance areas of their SDK. Ideally this continues to improve.

Couldn't your sources tell??? Are they realiable if they do not know? Are they involved with the Xbox SDK development? Are you MisterXmedia? ;)

Just Kidding you... Improvements will continue for the console life and they are to be expected!

No really it had to do with "tile based" so I googled it but it has no apparent relation to DX12. With MS developing both DX as well as Xbox One, one might think that improvement in either could carry over, benefit the other. it was a private event where they demoed some hololens stuff as well as a couple of new Xbox One games; it's possible that there were only low-level representatives instead of actual DX developers. So maybe they were mistaken :p

No really it had to do with "tile based" so I googled it but it has no apparent relation to DX12. With MS developing both DX as well as Xbox One, one might think that improvement in either could carry over, benefit the other. it was a private event where they demoed some hololens stuff as well as a couple of new Xbox One games; it's possible that there were only low-level representatives instead of actual DX developers. So maybe they were mistaken :p
DX11 and DX12 on Xbox One is actually a little lower level than what's available on PC as it contains additional Xbox One commands specific to it's hardware, it's generally lower level.

The APIs have been out for some time, and XBO since the new dashboard is running Windows 10 already.

An improvement to Tile Based pipelines sounds interesting, but without some sort of baseline of performance that may not mean much at all.

Maybe if a game is built specifically with the optimisations in mind, it could benefit a lot. But multi-platform games probably won't use it < something like that. In any way; there is a Surface event coming up so I will try to ask around there. TBC :D

Could be referring to the ESRAM management, but erm.... bleh
Yea they have a ESRAM manager, or some sort of tool that will help them peek into what is going on with the sram, anything that would improve the utilization of esram without simultaneously going over the budget of the DDR3 bandwidth would likely result in a win. Tiles appear to be a fit for this type of thing, but I'm not sure how far reaching it is.

Xbox runs windows?
Windows?

300px-Windows1.0.png

Officially confirmed by MS, Battlefront was the first Dx12 game on X1, RotTR, GeOW: UE, Hitman also using Dx12
IMG_2695.jpg

Back