Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you breathe properly (diaphramatic breathing), your chest doesn't move but your belly does, which is hidden under the clothes. Given Nate etc's perchant for amateur opera away from all the exploring, I see nothing wrong.

It's not only Drake. At ~43 sec mark that female military leader fights drake a lot and then delivers a line in totally relaxed breath.

I have no objections for lack of obvious chest/belly movement in calm scenes, but it bugs me to not see it during/after any type of action. Most of the time I cannot perceive ANY moments of beating-caused chest movement in modern games. It is an effect that is rarely used today.

Facial Animation in this sequence is...well...insane..(starting 14:35)
Incredible facial animation. They've nailed the pain-grimace noticably better than the UC4 one after the car crash, which to me looked too much like a smile. (Maybe that was fixed later on, dunno)

That said, running against stationary objects (0:17) problem that plagued the industry for the last 30 years is still there, and I've noticed a jumpy motion capture at 8:31 (guy turning), if that's not a time glitch, it looks like uncleaned motion capture! (I wasn't able to watch all, I jumped between scenes, maybe there's more?)

I'm loving the visuals of this game, and I'm extremely impressed by the facial animation.

Quantum Break has amazing facial animations! The lip-syncing is also the best I've seen in any video game. Remedy definitely delivered on that end. Which says a lot coming from Alan Wake's funny looking facial animations.

Well
Incredible facial animation. They've nailed the pain-grimace noticably better than the UC4 one after the car crash, which to me looked too much like a smile. (Maybe that was fixed later on, dunno)

That said, running against stationary objects (0:17) problem that plagued the industry for the last 30 years is still there, and I've noticed a jumpy motion capture at 8:31 (guy turning), if that's not a time glitch, it looks like uncleaned motion capture! (I wasn't able to watch all, I jumped between scenes, maybe there's more?)

I'm loving the visuals of this game, and I'm extremely impressed by the facial animation.
I believe part of it is because the ingame character is a 1:1 recreation of a real actor who is also doing the performance capture for the same character. Compare that to UC4 where Drake is a fictional character with a stylised look and completely symmetrical face who receives performance capture from someone who doesn't look like Drake.

Not to mention the majority of the facial expression of U4 are still being done by hand. They didnt move to facial capture until much later in the dev cycle.

Well

I believe part of it is because the ingame character is a 1:1 recreation of a real actor who is also doing the performance capture for the same character. Compare that to UC4 where Drake is a fictional character with a stylised look and completely symmetrical face who receives performance capture from someone who doesn't look like Drake.

Achieving those on UC4 is probably way more meticulous work, indeed. Just talking about the end result. I'm aware of the artistry behind ND's work, that can only be matched by a select few.

Is the main person in Quantum break modeled after a real person?
I personally don't think he looks human/realistic. Other characters in that game do IMO. Is it possible that they photoscanned the rest, but made the main character from scratch in 3D Studio Max?

Last edited:
Wow he does look exactly like the actor! He has an unique facial structure, but this makes him attractive and special (no homo).
The lighting is the game is pretty stylised/unrealistic maybe that make me feel the character was not based on a real person? Well, either way, thanks for showing me the resemblance to the actual actor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back