SteamVR Performance Test

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
This test is very susceptible to any background tasks taking CPU or GPU power. When I ran it with Firefox open it gave me mere 6.9 and still produced over 9000 frames.

This test is very susceptible to any background tasks taking CPU or GPU power. When I ran it with Firefox open it gave me mere 6.9 and still produced over 9000 frames.
I haven't noticed such thing here. My main system was in full "web dev" mode (all browsers loaded, source editor syncing, web server in the background) when I ran the test and all was top notch.

I haven't noticed such thing here. My main system was in full "web dev" mode (all browsers loaded, source editor syncing, web server in the background) when I ran the test and all was top notch.

Were they flash heavy? If not browser then maybe I had something stuck in the background from previous applications as my first test was done after few hours of computer usage producing 6.9 score. After reboot I ran this test again and got my 8.0 on the first try.

Check with Latency Monitor and see what might be the cause.

I will give it a go but I suspect my 3 year old Windows 7 upgraded to 10 with over 300 games and apps installed might have something to do with it. Checked Firefox with just B3D page opened and Vr performance score I've got jumped to 8.1 albeit with 5 frames CPU limited.

My score is pretty sad, going to finally rip out the 7850 from this machine to get it VR ready for April.

GTX780 gives me a failing 5.3.

I might cancel my preorder waiting for my upgrade cycle in a year or two, this is getting a bit too expensive. :mad:

It's as far as it goes. It was 4.6 without OC.

Anyway, it's not a bad idea for me to wait, I'm not going to sidegrade to a 970 or 290 which are not really better than my 780 in non-VR games. I'll wait for Pascal and beyond or something.

My system might not be the newest, but it's showing as not ready and is saying I should upgrade the GPU... even if it's the one that doesn't really need upgrading.

My system gets me a 10.6 -- Titan X, i7-920, 16G RAM, 1T SSD. However, I fail the Oculus test because of my CPU. I'm wondering if I'll be completely bottlenecked by my ancient CPU.

Because of the way how Rift processes orientation mapping, single-threaded performance is important for the platform and that's why Oculus recommends up-to-date CPU architecture with higher IPC, together with speedy USB3.0 link. HTC Vive is probably more suitable for your system, but it's pricier, if upgrading the PC is out of option.

Because of the way how Rift processes orientation mapping, single-threaded performance is important for the platform and that's why Oculus recommends up-to-date CPU architecture with higher IPC, together with speedy USB3.0 link. HTC Vive is probably more suitable for your system, but it's pricier, if upgrading the PC is out of option.

It probably is, but I'll take my chances. :) I'm betting that games won't be anywhere near as taxing on the hardware with shaders/scene complexity to require a CPU jump. We'll see soon enough though!

You can think about upgrading to a 6-core Xeon, if your X58 board supports 32nm processors, and those are good overclockers. A decent 2nd hand Xeon can be found in under a $100 from reputable sellers.

Back