Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can watch my video.

Yeah, public or anyone who used to have a beta key ?

I'm so happy I finally after all those years managed to finish UC1 and UC2 !!

In UC1 I got fed up with the
zombie monsters at the marine base
and in UC2 it was those damn guardians
at the entrance of Shambala

UC3 was much easier to play again. The ending has no real boss fight at the end. Guess UC3 is the best for me, then UC1 and UC2. The end of UC2 is a bit uneven and feels like they lacked inspiration.

I really love the graphics, but when I compare all available U4 footage to U3; it seems like U3 is using 150% of my PS3, where U4 only appears to use... 60-70% ? the game will be amazing but I am sure TLoU 2 will look much, much better.

It's a phrase meaning the difference between the two images is considerable, like the difference between daytime and nighttime.

2 0 1 5 E 3
g4jsgvg.jpg

Story Trailer
Cf2XB7S.jpg
No AO differences.

Easily missable but i think I've found the culprit for the difference in color between PSX 2014 and the current build. For reference PSX: http://abload.de/img/uncharted4_demo_psx_1yqs1s.jpg Current: http://abload.de/img/uncharted4_story_eng28jsjp.jpg

Translucent vegetation?

In the trailer
sssk6snj.jpg

sss2fysq9.jpg

The beta
1hrsw9.jpg

Old PSX build
uncharted4_demo_psx_124s1i.jpg

Other games trying (or not) to do this (Crysis 3, MGSV, RotTR)
1r2szy.jpg

2xnsm7.jpg

3kesle.jpg
Translucency would explain leaves looking brighter from below, not from above. It's a change in art direction.

Them opacity map magic, I think it's similar to the effect found in The Witcher 3.
zafa28Q.png

Looks almost painting like in UC4 tho due to volumetric lighting and volumetric fog
image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-30961-2995_0002.jpg
I'd attribute it more to the fog sprite sheets since there's barely any volumetric lighting/fog in the scene.

Huge improvments in textures and PBR etc ,,, wow

PSX 2014 Gameplay demo:
image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-27145-2995_0003.jpg

Story Trailer 2016:
r8vyar.jpg
Looks different because one is looking towards the cave and the other away from it.

I really love the graphics, but when I compare all available U4 footage to U3; it seems like U3 is using 150% of my PS3, where U4 only appears to use... 60-70% ? the game will be amazing but I am sure TLoU 2 will look much, much better.

Still TLOU remastered is the only game, which makes my PS4 spin its fans to some audible level. Maybe The Order as well. I still can't believe that they were able to squeeze a game like TLOU from the PS3.

No AO differences.

Translucency would explain leaves looking brighter from below, not from above. It's a change in art direction.

I'd attribute it more to the fog sprite sheets since there's barely any volumetric lighting/fog in the scene.

Looks different because one is looking towards the cave and the other away from it.
image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-30961-2995_0011.jpg

AO is clearly added ever since the beta.
Look at the tree at the top, clearly translucent. You also see translucency from looking down, just like bat's membrane. Get your physics straight.
Fog sprites would rotate according to camera but they're not rotating here, you can see it in the PSX demo even.

Translucency would explain leaves looking brighter from below, not from above.

That's not how light works. Subsurface scattering is trying to approximate how light scatters within an object, which is why the ears glow red no matter the direction you're looking at.

Looked at some beta footage from gamersyde. Really good looking end result for the vegetation, even at the more demanding 60 fps

1xss9w.jpg

Now look at that
3b6s6k.jpg

2egsn2.jpg

The bullet is casting a spotlight and the vegetation is also affected like it would in the way sss works. Also notice the subtle sss on nathans ear when the bullet is close to him. Really nice stuff from the beta few months ago.

Edit: as a gif
13fsdl.gif

Last edited:
Yeah it's a nice effect alright, reminds me of The Order muzzle flash and causing SSS on Galahad's face. Seems to be entirely missing in Quantum Break tho.
w0ggaa.jpg

One thing I noticed is the shattered glasses seem to pick up lights thus creating specular highlight, not many game does that.
oorGohk.jpg

Yeah it's a nice effect alright, reminds me of The Order muzzle flash and causing SSS on Galahad's face. Seems to be entirely missing in Quantum Break tho.
w0ggaa.jpg

One thing I noticed is the shattered glasses seem to pick up lights thus creating specular highlight, not many game does that.
oorGohk.jpg
It does you can see the specular highlights on his hand and jacket from the muzzle flash, they have just done it differently.

Also The Order 1886 also does the glass reflection, in the airship shoot out scene is a good place to see it.

Not talking about the specular highlights, it's about that SSS hack which is seemingly missing.
Oh right, sorry yes at this point does not look present, still in dev though and judging from the demo tears, sampling issues and such the game still has some areas to work on from this showing.

Does look very good.

why? looking down on a leaf is still tranluscent

try it while moving your finger under it. you can see your finger "shillouette"
Perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly. A translucent object would look brighter on the "dark side" when compared with an opaque object. However, their "bright side", in this case the top part being lit by the sun would see not look brighter. In fact, it would look darker because light that would have otherwise reflected off the surface now managed to escape through the other side of the object.

image_uncharted_4_a_thief_s_end-30961-2995_0011.jpg

AO is clearly added ever since the beta.
Look at the tree at the top, clearly translucent. You also see translucency from looking down, just like bat's membrane. Get your physics straight.
Fog sprites would rotate according to camera but they're not rotating here, you can see it in the PSX demo even.
I didn't say that AO wasn't part of the game. I said, very clearly, that based on those Sam&Nate comparison shots there was no difference in AO between E3 2015 and the newest trailer.

As for the fog sprites, I meant the cloudy looking fog in the scene, not the old-standard exponential fog.

That's not how light works. Subsurface scattering is trying to approximate how light scatters within an object, which is why the ears glow red no matter the direction you're looking at.
Translucency is not SSS, but even objects with SSS materials don't look brighter than those with opaque materials on the side being lit directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back