The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both AMD and Nvidia took market share from Intel who went from 75.2% to 72.8%.

Nvidia just happened to take more share than AMD did and also Nvidia's share gain was in high cost units thus more revenue for them.
Intel's share isn't relevant when talking about discrete cards, though

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report

Overall add-in board market decreased in Q4'15, AMD gained market share, while Nvidia lost share. Quarter-to-quarter AIBs shipments decreased -4.9% and -7.9% year-to-year.

Our estimated PC graphics add-in-board (AIB) shipments and suppliers’ market share for Q4'15 is shown in the following table.

AIB_chart.PNG

Well I think the 380X is mostly regarded as substantially better value than the GTX960 4GB. That and the GTX950 was quite the disappointment because people were expecting tiny PCBs/cards but all they got was essentially the same cards as the GTX960 but with less shaders enabled.

Short term market moves are dictated by insider moves, if the news to us isn't compelling enough, most likely its just large institutions just shifted stocks around because they know (they have an idea) something is coming or it could be puts and calls that have come to date.

stock went up quite a bit today, anyone know what happened ?

There's an AMA on reddit today where an AMD representative is supposed to shed some details about Polaris. Starts at 4 P.M. GMT (43 minutes from now).

Thanks , I hate reddit as I can never find anything lol
If it makes you feel any better, Hallock hasn't actually spilled beans on pretty much anything there. Except confirming that AMDGPU won't support GCN 1.0.

If it makes you feel any better, Hallock hasn't actually spilled beans on pretty much anything there. Except confirming that AMDGPU won't support GCN 1.0.
Indeed. Roberts seems to think that AMA stands for Avoid Making Acknowlegment.

I suspect that he knows what AMA would generally mean in spirit. As an employee of AMD, it's more of a Ask Me Anything (Not A Trade Secret Where Anything That Is Not Already Cleared By Corporate Is A Trade Secret And If It Were Not A Trade Secret It Would Already Be Out There).

Did he say that this is something he came up with, or does this seem like one of those corporate-y "this is what we heard the hip folks do to create buzz" things?

I suspect that he knows what AMA would generally mean in spirit. As an employee of AMD, it's more of a Ask Me Anything (Not A Trade Secret Where Anything That Is Not Already Cleared By Corporate Is A Trade Secret And If It Were Not A Trade Secret It Would Already Be Out There).
Hey, got to take the viral marketing where you can find it. Twitter and facebook have already reached saturation point - time to expand.
Did he say that this is something he came up with, or does this seem like one of those corporate-y "this is what we heard the hip folks do to create buzz" things?
You could ask him. 11/10 odds he answers " I cannot comment on the decision making process" :LOL:

It's good for RTG to interface with the community. They haven't always done a great job at communicating. But any kind of major reveal will not come in an AMA; those will be structured events to ensure maximum press coverage and to satisfy SEC disclosure requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back