A comparison of motion blur implementations *spawn

ultragpu

Banned
I don't get this obsession about high quality motion blur, it is a post processing effect in the end and will be regarded as such in terms of graphical prowess. An adequate implementation imo should be ample while you concentrate the power on other more substantial things. Yeah I'd rather have more foliage, better explosions, special effects, more shaders than a smoother motion blur.

I am not sure if Globalisateur wants motion blur at all, two recent examples that are regarded highly. On PC, at 60 fps.

desktop02.25.2016-09.0rso3.jpg

metalgearsolidvthephaeasal.jpg

You never get a perfectly clean image in motion with motion blur, that's the point.

Regarding U4, it seems like object + camera moblur and it's pretty good in comparison to what it had at E3.

Object moving
object6ms69.jpg

Object + Camera
cameraobjectwrs1h.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe that is why it is called motion blur(!) and not motion sharpening :mrgreen:

Yep...mb does blur the image. And we all know that Globalisator prefers clinical sharp images.

That is why imo devs should let us switch on/off postprocessing effects. To each his own. I wonder how expensive (money) such graphical settings for pp effects would be?

Maybe that is why it is called motion blur(!) and not motion sharpening :mrgreen:

Yep...mb does blur the image. And we all know that Globalisator prefers clinical sharp images.

That is why imo devs should let us switch on/off postprocessing effects. To each his own.

Yeah, i agree with that. Having the option to turn off motion blur is the best choice. Something similar to UDC would be great, choosing between no moblur, camera or camera + object.

You never get a perfectly clean image in motion with motion blur, that's the point.

Also, i'm not sure that we can judge the quality of a motion blur in a static image...

SF5 at max settings on PC :
http://images.eurogamer.net/2015/ar.../0/Max_007.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg and http://images.eurogamer.net/2015/ar.../0/Max_004.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

PS4 version : http://images.eurogamer.net/2015/ar.../0/PS4_007.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg and http://images.eurogamer.net/2015/ar.../0/PS4_004.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

Yet, DF is really impressed by the motion blur used in SF5.

It would be interesting to know what they consider as a high quality motion blur because they all blur the image as you said.

IMO, excessive motion blur in PC version SV5 makes the models blurry mess, which is IMO really bad idea for a game where users need to carefully track what opponent is doing.

Blur in U4 looks to be fine, it is placed there to enhance the feeling of "high adventure" that Uncharted games are famous for.

It looks much better in motion. I agree though, motion blur is not a good idea in a competitive fighting game (but you can disable it on PC, so...)

Currently motion blur is like post AA ~6 years ago. :yep2: You may not see the difference between bad and good like most couldn't tell (or didn't care) the difference 6 years ago for AAs, but there is one big difference between those 2 and there are bad and good Moblur implementations. We can ask for decent clarity in motion, even with motion blur, because it's possible and some games already do it.

The only way to do what you said is by running only per object moblur instead of camera + object. Camera moblur will always decrease screen fidelity in favor of a smooth looking end result.

Moblur in Battlefront is producing some very weird artifacts as well.
oc01b7qXSiu6.png

Last edited:
I don't get this obsession about high quality motion blur, it is a post processing effect in the end and will be regarded as such in terms of graphical prowess. An adequate implementation imo should be ample while you concentrate the power on other more substantial things. Yeah I'd rather have more foliage, better explosions, special effects, more shaders than a smoother motion blur.
So when is the "adequate implementation" going to be added in?

As Clukos images shown, even MGSV has better quality MB.

So when is the "adequate implementation" going to be added in?

As Clukos images shown, even MGSV has better quality MB.
In what way is it better?
In the new trailer it looked fine. It also appears to be contextual. Its less or more depending on the action

Not as bad as the masking issues in U4. At least they got rid of the ghosting, I give them that.

In motion its like it doesnt exist
I noticed it.

To get back on topic:

E3
18wsg5.jpg

Trailer 2016
2oisjd.jpg

The things i notice:
  • Tweaked AO (Sams hand)
  • Tweaked or changed dof (Sam out of focus)
  • Tweaked lighting or sss (hair/skin)
  • Less AA artifacts
  • Less mud (probably because they just load the scene instead of playing the demo, side effect of real-time cutscenes :p)
  • More accurate moblur (look at brick wall/plants)

Last edited by a moderator:
What? for a fraction of a second on that scene only?
He must have noticed it to know there was a frame he could capture that showed the artefact. I've also seen that sort of moblur artefact in games while playing. It's a limit of the implementation and something worth discussing and comparing regards tech in games.

That said, it may warrant a "Best Moblur Solutions" discussion to preserve this game thread as a game thread.

He must have noticed it to know there was a frame he could capture that showed the artefact. I've also seen that sort of moblur artefact in games while playing. It's a limit of the implementation and something worth discussing and comparing regards tech in games.
Its worth discussing it in a general technical matter, but if we are discussing if Uncharted 4's implementation is bad we should talk about its implementation in totality. Does it exhibit artifacts all the time? Most of the time? In rare occasions? You cant call something broken if it works 99% of the time.
Also part of the discussion was whether it should exist or not, which is a matter of aesthetics. Does it serve a purpose even if it does exhibit some artifacts here and there? If yes it probably should stay. There are many effects that didnt or dont quite reach perfect quality yet due to hardware limitations of the time. But they still helped or help improve the immersion. Uncharted 4's MB is satisfactory, not ugly enough to stick like a sore thumb. Actually for a console and the visual fidelity it achieves its quite well done. Because of that It mostly comes down to personal preference in terms of aesthetics

Back