Far Cry Primal [PS4, XO] (Feb 2016)

Far Cry 3 was pure gold ! FC4, to me, was just FC3 in a duller colour pallete and with duller people around. I liked the whole "Going down the rabbit-hole" treatment of FC3.

Primal can be the best of them all, if they really really stay serious to the theme and change the whole "ubisoft formula" mechanics and instead mould the game around the prehistoric way of life. Right now its just FC3 in a misty place. I love that they have a whole language, that should have continued into having a whole social structure(not just capturing camps like FC3) and a whole way of life. Things have to be tough if u r a prehistoric man !
and honestly, if u are some kindof shaman beastmaster who can make Sabretooths just tail-wagging you around then atleast have that personality in everything, in the way you walk, talk and do stuff. Its the same animations as FC3 ! Be a pseudoevil guy with a diseased mindset or something ! Or even a sticking to the shadows Gollum way of life !

Dedication to the theme is non existent outside the original language. It seems they were told not to change the gameplay, just make a new setting ! IMO

I absolutely abhorred most of Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4's script and story so the idea of these disappearing of one of the things that hugely appeals. From the podcasts I've listened too (IGN, PSILYXOXO) impressions of those who played it are actually good. Apparently it's extremely visceral and violent and Ubisoft have not shown all the mechanics yet.

I'm actually really interested in this now. It's just the weapon variety that worried me but I love using bows in games with good bow implementations and that's Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 so this shouldn't be an issue.

I agree about the scripts having been rather dismal in general, but the Pagan Min parts were surprisingly well done. Almost like those parts were written by a different person. Heck, given that this is Ubisoft we're talking about, they most likely were.

My neighbours Xbox One pre-order turned up yesterday so I popped over for "ten minutes" to have a quick play. Many, many hours later at I came back around 2am pre-ordered this digitally for PS4 given it's just a 12Gb install. I'm guessing they saved a ton of space by not needing multiple voice languages and music for radios and stuff.

This is exactly my kind of game, it has all of the good mechanics I love from Far Cry games, plus beast taming, minus all the bits I hate. It's also a very good looking game on Xbox One! :yes:

My neighbours Xbox One pre-order turned up yesterday so I popped over for "ten minutes" to have a quick play. Many, many hours later at I came back around 2am pre-ordered this digitally for PS4 given it's just a 12Gb install. I'm guessing they saved a ton of space by not needing multiple voice languages and music for radios and stuff.

This is exactly my kind of game, it has all of the good mechanics I love from Far Cry games, plus beast taming, minus all the bits I hate. It's also a very good looking game on Xbox One! :yes:
What are those?

What are those?

Mostly what I consider to be poor narratives an characterisations and pushing drugs into the game for no other reason than as excuse for some trippy graphics. In both Far Cry 3 and 4 I had to fight through many of the stories and nonsense about my character's personal journey and growth into a man who will do anything to defeat an unrealistic, theatric, eccentric and ridiculous bad guy.

Primal is necessarily more primitive. Takkar (you) is a cave man who kills things to survive. Your enemy is a cave man who kills things to survive. Nobody does 5 minute long monologues about truth, beauty or justice. A more primitive time has resulted in a more relatable story and basic motives and imperatives. It feels less forced and arbitrary.

Of course it could all go freaky later - you are a beast master and there is a shaman :runaway:

I played it a couple of hours over the weekend. It's really just a cheap reskin of FC4 with some extra haziness added to the visual front. It also seems to be even more like a playable excel sheet than the FC games that came before it. Even the main quest is about collecting random dudes on the map. And everyone talks, or rather everyone's translated, like he's starring in a Tarzan movie from the 1930s: "Me great hunter of wooly mammoth. Me very strong. You help. Uga buga." It's fucking embarassing. And if one of your main means of attack is a primitive club, couldn't they've at least tried to make melee slightly more complex than hammering the R1 button?

Like previous Far Cry games, the first couple of hours aren't very representative of combat later on. You're still working the tutorials and just like in Far Cry 3 where the first weapons were a pistol and knife, you'll likely not be using these a few hours in. Melee in Far Cry, including Primal, is generally your last resort - you're out of all other ranged options, traps and companions and have no resources to make anything else right now but you have to fight. If you think hammering R1 button is the only way to use the club then you should have paid more attention during the tutorial :yep2:

I'm not sure what you were expecting in terms of dialogue from a game set 10,000 B.C. Ulysses? Shakespear? Dostoyevsky? ;)

I was expecting non-broken English. They're talking in an ancient, dead tongue. They probably didn't sound like dimwits to each other back then, so why would you translate them to sound like linguistically impared idiots to us now? If you took a foreign language and translated it verbatim, you'd get an F in school every time.
And by a couple of hours I meant 6, so long past any sort of tutorializing. (and yes, I know you can light the club on fire or charge it up, but it still feels weightless).

I was expecting non-broken English. They're talking in an ancient, dead tongue. They probably didn't sound like dimwits to each other back then, so why would you translate them to sound like linguistically impared idiots to us now? If you took a foreign language and translated it verbatim, you'd get an F in school every time.

I read in a review that the language is entirely fictitious and was cooked up by two linguistics professors that Ubisoft paid. Some versions of the game come with a translation dictionary.

I personally don't feel this adds anything but the broken English subtitles are very likely literal translations because, and contrary to your belief, language took thousands of years to develop. You may have noticed that nobody in the game uses past tenses.

And by a couple of hours I meant 6, so long past any sort of tutorializing. (and yes, I know you can light the club on fire or charge it up, but it still feels weightless).

It's a bit rich complaining about a games communication then admitting you used "a couple" to mean six!

Last edited by a moderator:
I read in a review that the language is entirely fictitious and was cooked up by two linguistics professors that Ubisoft paid. Some versions of the game come with a translation dictionary.

I personally don't feel this adds anything but the broken English subtitles are very likely literal translations because, and contrary to your belief, language took thousands of years to develop. You may have noticed that nobody in the game uses past tenses.
Sigfried's point is that it wouldn't have sounded broken to the people speaking it, so to place the user in the situation, they need to be given the virtual context to interpret events. So spoken language should sound as normal to the player as it would the people of 10,000 years ago. Just as playing something like AC in medieval France, you're still provided contemporary translation adn aren't required to learn medieval French to appreciate the dialogue. Verbatim translations are no good. In fact that's a core principle in learning a new language - their word order and such can be radically different to what one is used to and making the change is important to fluid speaking and comprehension.

In short, the dialogue should have been translated into modern English with the same care Ryse was translated from Latin into modern English or, say, Tagalog would need to be to sound plausible rather than be a distraction.

You love that open world!

In short, the dialogue should have been translated into modern English with the same care Ryse was translated from Latin into modern English or, say, Tagalog would need to be to sound plausible rather than be a distraction.

This was obviously a creative decision and like I said above, I don't think it adds anything. That said I like that as well as conveying the practical limits of technology, they've also conveyed the practical limits of communication through the dialogue and the subtitles.

It's helps create atmosphere but YMMV.

Saw this gif on gaf
ZjGozok.gif

I'm guessing they had different types of waterfalls back then? :p

Wow. Is that PC on super low settings? I've not seen anything on Xbox that looks like that. Not played the PS4 version but maybe this was for price for 1920x1080! :)

Surprise...IT'S AWESOME!

So I made a video thing!

Here are my thoughts on Far Cry Primal’s big exotic, violent open world. I really enjoyed exploring all the various regions in Primal. Like previous games, it’s filled with complicated systems, fun mechanics audit has just enough of a spin to make it feel different.

Though it’s not the Black Flag of the series, it’s more like the Syndicate—very very good!

(Still working on getting better at these things. I know I have a long way to go and appreciate any constructive critisism--thanks!)

Surprise...IT'S AWESOME!

So I made a video thing!

Here are my thoughts on Far Cry Primal’s big exotic, violent open world. I really enjoyed exploring all the various regions in Primal. Like previous games, it’s filled with complicated systems, fun mechanics audit has just enough of a spin to make it feel different.

Though it’s not the Black Flag of the series, it’s more like the Syndicate—very very good!

(Still working on getting better at these things. I know I have a long way to go and appreciate any constructive critisism--thanks!)
That's a great video review! Do you make these on your own?

Back