Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Means that something odd, like a spelling or grammar error, was intended, for instance because it is a direct quote or something like that.

Your president looks bored on that picture ... :D (though a very tiny smile can be detected when I look hard). But he seems like a very smart man actually.

My bet is that thing is going to fail harder than Kinect, it may see a better start but then it will just fall from higher.

Your president looks bored on that picture ... :D (though a very tiny smile can be detected when I look hard). But he seems like a very smart man actually.
He's also colour blind because there is no excuse for that shirt. :nope:

He's also colour blind because there is no excuse for that shirt. :nope:

Still much better than his usual square tile pattern shirt. :p

Or his plain clothing when doing sudden visits. the opposing party label it as 'image whoring', but the people like it because this president know the ugly truth of our society first hand, and willing to bring change (thats sometime too radical and incompatible with our current law).

Back about that shirt, Maybe this time he wants to channel Indonesia is colorful (in many ways). Usually, normally, government people always wear boring brown 'batik' pattern shirt lol

@Arwin thanks. Yeah my current president (jokowi) and Jakarta city governor (ahok) is an anomaly. Not only smart and know technologies, but also willing to really make progress.

Last time we got a leader that can lead great changes was our 4th president. Despite (because of?) He was the head of huge Muslim organization, he is very tolerant in difference and truly implement our country's motto 'bhinneka tunggal ika' or "unity in diversity" by abolishing the discrimination to Chinese bloodlines.

We were a very racist country before his rule lol.

@psvr
See attachment :)
Hopefully this means Psvr will have theater mode to enjoy non VR content.

"Stay tuned"

QuickMemo+_2016-02-19-13-59-27.png

If I were to bet anything, then it would be that most likely it will start off less successful than Kinect (which was very successful at launch), but do better afterwards. Still, the first Kinect didn't fail hard, or even at all. It sold, what, 20 million? For a console 'add-on', that's almost as good as it gets. It did fail to live up to its promise afterwards though. And the PS4 has a smaller installbase than the 360 did at the time iirc.

VRSE is a company that publishes VR movies among others using a vrse app on the iPhone, I've used it, they've got some good and high-profile stuff. They accidentally discussed PSVR earlier, so it's clear that Sony will have some form of Video content. And of course, it would be silly for them not to have some kind of VR TV support. Perhaps Netflix' 4K streaming technology could be expanded to support VR, that could be nice.

If I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet odds are 70/30 in favor of a successful VR industry, even if it takes time to ramp up.

It depends what we consider a success. If the PS4 lead over XB1 increases because of PSVR, it's a success for Sony. But as a consumer, what I care about is sustained support, and I want the product to be still alive beyond the through of disillusionment. Neither kinect, nor move, nor wiimote managed it. The move sold 15 million, but it had little support by third parties, and almost no support beyond the first two year. It was similar for wiimote and kinect.

If we get continuously new titles (and apps) for the remaining of the PS4 generation, that's a success for VR. If we don't, it doesn't matter how many they sold. The most encouraging aspect is the third party support before launch. 90 games already announced and counting, and 200 studios developing games for PSVR. This is 10 times more than any motion gaming attempts. One of the reason is that more than half those games are multi-platform.

The important metric, for third party support, is not the number of PSVR devices sold but the number of all VR headset that can get reasonable ports. So right now it's the sum of Oculus, Vive, and PSVR. And oculus fucked it up with a kutaragi style launch. I'm really hoping HTC will be reasonably priced.

gartner_hype_cycle.png

I'm really hoping HTC will be reasonably priced.
HTC Vive is $799, so...
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/21/11081462/htc-vive-consumer-edition-price-release-date-mwc-2016

Today I played London Heist for the first time (only the car chase part) on a PSVR and it was really good due to PS move control. Though I didn't notice the screen-door effect on that model of PSVR, the picture looked blurrier than HTC Vive or Oculus Rift CV1 or GearVR (I had tried all of them). The frame-rate was rock solid and I had no issue looking outside through the car windows. Even with not so stellar graphics it's the most exciting and stable VR demo I have experienced so far, I guess it's due to higher production quality and the intuitive control of PS Move. Just gripping a magazine with the trigger and setting it in a gun was so much fun. I really hope they bundle 2 of them with PSVR for a reasonably cheap price.

They shouldn't be too expensive to make at least. But I have two of them already and they are still working quite well, so I also hope for a cheaper package without. ;)

In Move Fitness by the way one of the exercises is picking up a ball with the Move and throwing it against a person target to knock that over, also a lot of fun.

So PSVR up against $800 Vive and $600 OVR. The opportunity is there for Sony to make a play for a controlling stake in the VR market. If I were them, I'd go for it. Just as PS was able to establish itself for great benefit to Sony (when they managed it right!), they could become the world leader in a new market. Establish PSVR, create the store, create the VR content, create a social space. Then take that to PC and open platforms and have the Facebook of the VR future (unless people decide it's a waste of time!).

I think sitting back cautiously and pricing high to minimise losses would be the wrong choice, but is probably the more alluring option to upper management at this point.

Sony has been heading by people who do actually think about what the price needs to be and then match the product to it rather than the other way around. They did the same with the PS4 and were very clear about it, after the whole PS3 debacle with the second job etc it has been ... a thing. ;)

Back