New cloth simulation demo

bloodbob said:
ahaha thanks

Now that I think of it, it may be best to just skip including the alpha. I have never had a use for it myself, and I can hardly see that an end user would ever be interested in it.

akira888 said:
I already seen one flag that's going in the recycle bin. Au revoir red banner of death. :devilish:
if you talk about switzerland you'll get stress now!!

BTW, am I alone in believing that Humus' demos are a better reason to buy hardware than most new games are? I get more pleasure at marveling at these than I do playing yet one more FPS or RTS or MMORPG. PC games really could use some console style genre diversity. Where's games like Jak and Daxter, Xeno/gears/saga, Soul Calibur 2, or Maximo? They simply do not exist.
hehe.. i only have humus demos on my pc.. and solitaire:D oh, and duke nukem manhattan project, too.. but thats about the only game.. for the rest, humus demos are satisfaction enough, yeah:D

Also - I tried running the colored shadowmapping demo on a friends (fellow CS grad student of all things) 5200 at ~320x240 window size. I don't know if it was the bloatware his mom put on the box or the shitty card - but that bitch ran at ~6 fps. :p And he payed 130 USD for that crap - only 30 percent less than what I payed for my 9700np! :LOL:
no comment:D

Now what you have to do is combine all your demos into an engine, draw some programmer artwork and release before Half-Life 2. ;)

Nick said:
Now what you have to do is combine all your demos into an engine, draw some programmer artwork and release before Half-Life 2. ;)

You forgot step 4: Profit!

Awesome job, Humus, It's the best cloth simulation demo I've ever seen. Anybody has noticed that Humus's recent demos have been listed on the homepage of www.opengl.org? Enjoy the honor and my admiration, Humus :D

some personal questions to humus: How long have you been programming on the graphics? And could you please add some comments in the upcoming demos so that we can read the code more easily? (your framework is already much neater and clearer than the one comes with DX SDK though :LOL: )

As for this cloth demo, in the main.cpp file the program needs to include springsystem.h file, but I couldn't find it in the Framework2 directory, what's wrong? :oops:

Excellent demo!! =)

If I may be picky, it doesn't look like gravity is effecting how fast the cloth slides off the balls. I mean, of course there is gravity.. but the cloth should slide faster and faster as the weight of the cloth not being supported by the ball gets heavier. Very cool though. :thumbsup:

EDIT: clarification

It's indeed a nice demo, although the flags have a kind of latex feeling.
Hmm, latex sheets wrapped tightly around well rounded objects, and then sliding off... I can see a diferent use for this. :devilish: Ooops, mind wandering away. :oops: :D

991060:
The springsystem files are located in Framework2/Util in the latest framework zip. (The framework was updated for this demo.)

And while it feels bad to complain about free code, I do agree that a few comments would have made the code a lot easier to read. I'm not an avid commenter myself, so I wouldn't add much though. But a few single-liners here and there can make a big difference.

991060 said:
some personal questions to humus: How long have you been programming on the graphics?

I began doing hardware stuff in Glide for the Voodoo II in late 1998 / early 1999.

991060 said:
And could you please add some comments in the upcoming demos so that we can read the code more easily?

Bah! Comments are for cowards :p
Nah, I'll try to improve, but I can't promise I will :p

Humus,

Unfortunately, when I run the demo I get this error:
No GLSL Support (GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_shading_language_100)

System:
P4 3.06GHz
ATI 9800 NP (Catalyst 3.9)
512MB RAM

I just tried playing Serious Sam 2 with OpenGL (not DirectX) and it worked fine.

Am I missing something? :)

Windfire said:
Chalnoth said:
Windfire said:
Am I missing something? :)
Catalyst 3.10 :)

Wow, 3.10 is required? I'll probably wait until the next version. I kind of dislike updating drivers--waiting every few unless I have a real need.

Thanks for the help.

Yes they are (from the Catalyst 3.10 release notes) :

OpenGL Shading Language Support

This release adds support for the OpenGL Shading Language (GLSL), a flexible, forward-looking, and hardware-independent high-level graphics programming language. The OpenGL Shading Language, defined as an open standard by the OpenGL Architecture Review Board, allows application developers to take advantage of the powerful programmable vertex and pixel processing units present in the 3D graphics system. Open languages offer developers the fastest route to using the latest graphics hardware features. Developers who are interested in using the OpenGL Shading Language can find updates on our website (http://www.ati.com/developer) in the upcoming months. This feature is available for the following ATI RADEONâ„¢ family product line:

ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9800 series
ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9700 series
ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9600 series
ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9500 series
The feature is available for all operating systems supported by the CATALYSTâ„¢ software driver.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried breaking ATI's current GLSL implementation, Humus? :devilish:

(ex. attempted to use shaders that are definitely too long or use too many textures)

No f-buffer yet, but the compiler is very informative. "Loop contructs is not yet implemented" is what you get back if there's a loop construct. The link results also includes stuff like "this shader will run in hardware" alternatively "this shader will run in software".

Back