New cloth simulation demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
The last demo before the holidays :p

cloth.jpg

Very realistic cloth simulation. One of my coolest demos so far. 8)
Highly suitable, the cloth is made up of random flags from a large bunch of countries. The demo has the particular feature that you can add your own flags (for instance in case your country's flag is missing) or remove those you don't like. Just add or remove to the Textures/Flags directory.

Demo uses GLSL for the lighting, so Cat 3.10 is needed.

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Wee! Sense of nationality arises, Finland is there too! 8)
Makes me want to wave those flags :D
How about some wind?

Baraclese said:
You need a mirror, it's really difficult to connect to your page these days.. :)

No, I just found out the problem after the database crashed twice today and now when the site just stopped responding all together. I was out of diskspace. As soon as I deleted a few files the server ran fine again. Have cleaned up a little now, so it should be running ok for now. Will clean more tomorrow.

Mendel said:
Wee! Sense of nationality arises, Finland is there too! 8)
Makes me want to wave those flags :D
How about some wind?

That will be a v2.0 then :p Certainly doable.

Very nice :)

I did notice that there's a problem when the flag enters too sharp of a corner, though. I imagine that's mostly an issue with triangle density?

Nice demo but I found some times when its hanging by 2 or 3 points loosely it just starts to ripple is their a wind or is it just a unlucky case of the physics?

Another quality demo by humus. Just one question where do the screen shots go? ( the lighting on the spheres and flags seem to be good examples of why we need greater colour depth in frame buffer and RAMDAC.)

Chalnoth said:
I did notice that there's a problem when the flag enters too sharp of a corner, though. I imagine that's mostly an issue with triangle density?

What kind of issue? That it gets sort of unstable?

bloodbob said:
Nice demo but I found some times when its hanging by 2 or 3 points loosely it just starts to ripple is their a wind or is it just a unlucky case of the physics?

It can get unstable in some unfortunate situations, for instance when it's stretched a lot over a sphere and almost about to get around it, but almost stops. Then it can begin to shake a little and quickly go very unstable.

bloodbob said:
Just one question where do the screen shots go?

On the desktop.

Okay you might wanna double check your code because the screen shots only show the fps I'd suggest its a drive issue with glslang.

*EDIT* Its not blank just the background is white/grey and the spheres fail to render to it. Using the hotfix drivers.

That's because the alpha channel is also stored in the screenshot. Open it in a real application, like photoshop or paint shop pro, not just the windows image viewer.

Humus said:
What kind of issue? That it gets sort of unstable?
It starts to get very jagged-looking, and it may be a trick of the lighting, but it looks like holes actually appear in the model.

I already seen one flag that's going in the recycle bin. Au revoir red banner of death. :devilish:

BTW, am I alone in believing that Humus' demos are a better reason to buy hardware than most new games are? I get more pleasure at marveling at these than I do playing yet one more FPS or RTS or MMORPG. PC games really could use some console style genre diversity. Where's games like Jak and Daxter, Xeno/gears/saga, Soul Calibur 2, or Maximo? They simply do not exist.

Also - I tried running the colored shadowmapping demo on a friends (fellow CS grad student of all things) 5200 at ~320x240 window size. I don't know if it was the bloatware his mom put on the box or the shitty card - but that bitch ran at ~6 fps. :p And he payed 130 USD for that crap - only 30 percent less than what I payed for my 9700np! :LOL:

Chalnoth said:
It starts to get very jagged-looking, and it may be a trick of the lighting, but it looks like holes actually appear in the model.

I suppose what you're seeing is when the flag sort of get creased to much and intersects itself. There's no collision detection of the cloth against itself.

Back