Anandtech's poll that never was, regarding who controls Carrizo's User Experience

Who's at fault for Carrizo ending up on sub-par laptops with single-channel RAM and bad TN panels?

• Total voters
The beefed up L1 enables them to cut down the L2 without a significant performance impact, while saving area and power. The smaller L2 has a lower latency too (17 instead of 20 cycles) which is a nice bonus by itself.

What matters for general every day performance? That the PC has a half-decent SSD and enough RAM.
True. Though I have witnessed several people not even notice the benefits of a SSD. The system file cache can cover the usage patterns of the typical user pretty well unless they don't use sleep and reboot often.

If people don't even notice those especially awful TN panels that have no angle without some color inversion, how can you be sure of anything? :D

Last edited:
True. Though I have witnessed several people not even notice the benefits of a SSD. The system file cache can cover the usage patterns of the typical user pretty well unless they don't use sleep and reboot often.

If people don't even notice those especially awful TN panels that have no angle without some color inversion, how can you be sure of anything? :D

I think an SSD helps the most when something goes 'wrong'. Say the user installs mcafee from installing another program. At least when it thrashes the drive the PC will still be useable. Just ensuring that the slowest component is ~5x faster and much more for random, small file I/O makes a huge difference in the worst use case scenario.

As for horrible TN panels. I know all too well that many don't even notice in a way where they would comment on it either being bad or a better one being much nicer. I truly think it is much more of a subliminal thing for many. The perceived experience is nicer even if they don't know why. Resolution can go either way, but these days with scaling it should only be a positive unless it hurts battery life too much. The whole perceived quality difference works for Apple, although a lot of that is image and marketing alone, I think things like a better screen for those who wouldn't comment on it works the same way.

Seems that adding a second DIMM would kill two birds with one stone - significantly faster CPU/GPU performance plus less waiting for the HDD.

Back