Quantum Break versus Uncharted 4 visual comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would make the game insanely expensive computationally.
I don't think there is a single game out there that does everything at native res...especially when you consider native res on PC is flexible.

Maaaaaybe it's no dumber than uncompressed textures. :p

Maybe.

"Interactive" bullshot mode??? *ahem*

Knowing Remedy's crafty track record on Alan Wake's native res, I'd rather take the 1080p with a grain of salt and wait for a full analysis. For all we know it could be dynamic scaling or 900p at release.

Idk, some snaps from the best footage I've found (from Xbox On), it doesn't look like native 1080p (not a pixel counter though)
10ws1l.jpg

21hslv.jpg

3hbssk.jpg

473sqr.jpg

5f1swt.jpg

But, it could be because of any of the following:
  • Youtube (compression hurting the overall image quality, no game can escape from that)
  • Post-process effects making the game look softer than it actually is
  • These two combined, plus maybe bad capture? (i doubt it, this is the best footage I've found from the previews)
Sub 1080p for X1 would also make the PC requirements more understandable. Releasing b-roll footage for the general press when such previews happen would be the best choice though, or just give some to gamersyde :yep2:

. But seriously, i also think it's dumb to create a thread months before the games are out to compare pre-release footage. It's obvious that this thread will be full of misinformation and bold claims.

It didn´t have to be this dumb. I mean, people talking about TLoU which has been out for years, still surprised by how its GI works. Yes its only for the flashlight, and yes, only on areas where you are expected to use it. It sure uses some precalculated (or hand-made) simplified representation of the scene, and it is very low frequency. All indicates some form of VPL solution, its been talked about to exaution already, if you were unaware, you are not qualified to give your shallow opinon. Sorry. QB had a presentation on siggraph about its rendering tech, and its far from perfect, and full of limitations that DO show in all videos I´ve seen. I love the final result, but its still full of artifacts. Voxel dynamic GI? That´s not in there, all the voxel GI is static, and all the dynamic GI is screenspace. That door knob pic looks amazing, but I´m guessing its more of an artifact that ended up looking right out of luck, than the top of the door knob actually bouncing that much light into the door. There´s simpy not enough coverage for that to be the case, specially at half res. Its AO is also very interesting. I had never seen other use of this Line-sweep AO, and I still don´t know exaclty how it works ( the paper referenced on the siggraph pres is behind a paywall) but it sure has a very diferent behaviour and set of artifacts at faliure cases, and so is their SSR.

There is a lot of stuff to be said about their solutions, even if we haven´t seen the final build yet (and event that would still be up to updates at this day and age) but people should at least know a minimum about what they are talking about if they wanna spill their views on it.

I might be sounding a little grumpy now, and its because I am. Sorry.

There is a lot of stuff to be said about their solutions, even if we haven´t seen the final build yet (and event that would still be up to updates at this day and age) but people should at least know a minimum about what they are talking about if they wanna spill their views on it.

No, i think that's totally understandable. I shouldn't have brought up TLOU in the first place and i think your criticism is on point (that's why i made a separate thread about it after realizing my mistake). I also missed the initial discussion about it that's why i brought it up in the first place (i couldn't find anything from their presentations other than them talking about indirect light bouncing in the "grounded" video but nothing specific).

No, i think that's totally understandable. I shouldn't have brought up TLOU in the first place and i think your criticism is on point (that's why i made a separate thread about it after realizing my mistake). I also missed the initial discussion about it that's why i brought it up in the first place (i couldn't find anything from their presentation other than them talking about indirect light bouncing in the "grounded" video but nothing specific).

that´s ok, I gave my two cents in there as well. I was drinking here at home and found myself sundely out of liquor, right when reading this thread. I believe my circumstance influenced my post to some large extent. hahaha.

Idk, some snaps from the best footage I've found (from Xbox On), it doesn't look like native 1080p (not a pixel counter though)

Based on the grey line on top of the righ cabinet door with the bronze trophy on the second image, I seem to count 15 steps on 15 pixels... Thats 1080p. But i´m not really very good at this!

Based on the grey line on top of the righ cabinet door with the bronze trophy on the second image, I seem to count 15 steps on 15 pixels... Thats 1080p. But i´m not really very good at this!
The compression in that image is extreme to the max. I don't think it can be used to any meaningful purpose other than as a reference for how destructive macro-blocking can be!

All the images are soft at least, enough horrifically blurry. However, the first image has a window near the protagonist and that looks native to me. I'm not going to pretend to try to pixel count as post FX and fancy AA and whatnot means I'm not up to the task, but there's certainly evidence of native rendering in one image. Ultimately though I think we'll have to wait until there's more material.

Relevant to the thread and a question to those that know more about screen space effects

In the recent demos we've seen both games showcasing some form of screen space reflections with QB switching between cubemaps when out of view and SSR when in view point (kinda like how Crysis 3 does it), examples:

Green light in view -> Reflection
qb1ycssc.jpg

Green light out of view -> No reflection
qb20es1w.jpg

And another comparison (doesn't reflect what is out of view)
qb-2pasbu.gif

And we saw pretty similar behavior in the Uncharted 4 E3 demo. But, in the PSX footage it seems like they switched to something different
ssrf4syu.gif

Theoretically, if this is indeed SSR shouldn't what is underneath Drakes face not have a reflection? (out of view). And also notice how the scene lights up, this is something we've seen from E3, when a scene switches it takes some time for things to appear, this is a similar case with Paragon from Epic (at least for character hair). Comparison between first frame after transition and about ~30 frames later.
111pwu8u.gif

My question is, we knew that U4 was using some sort of SSR after E3, did that change?

Last edited:
isnt that loading/streaming on the U4?

while the reflection on the QB... i dont understand what i should look for :(

isnt that loading/streaming on the U4?

while the reflection on the QB... i dont understand what i should look for :(

Look under Jacks hand, how the reflection is changing when he moves. Theoritically that should not happen, it's just a side effect of using SSR. And a limitation of screen space effects in general from my understanding.

Another example from U4 where both characters are moving and reflections don't exhibit any screen space side effects (scene lights up again): http://webmshare.com/play/DA1mb

Last edited:
It didn´t have to be this dumb. I mean, people talking about TLoU which has been out for years, still surprised by how its GI works. Yes its only for the flashlight, and yes, only on areas where you are expected to use it. It sure uses some precalculated (or hand-made) simplified representation of the scene, and it is very low frequency. All indicates some form of VPL solution, its been talked about to exaution already, if you were unaware, you are not qualified to give your shallow opinon. Sorry. QB had a presentation on siggraph about its rendering tech, and its far from perfect, and full of limitations that DO show in all videos I´ve seen. I love the final result, but its still full of artifacts. Voxel dynamic GI? That´s not in there, all the voxel GI is static, and all the dynamic GI is screenspace. That door knob pic looks amazing, but I´m guessing its more of an artifact that ended up looking right out of luck, than the top of the door knob actually bouncing that much light into the door. There´s simpy not enough coverage for that to be the case, specially at half res. Its AO is also very interesting. I had never seen other use of this Line-sweep AO, and I still don´t know exaclty how it works ( the paper referenced on the siggraph pres is behind a paywall) but it sure has a very diferent behaviour and set of artifacts at faliure cases, and so is their SSR.

43Ww7sl.jpg

But to correct one thing, while the voxel GI requires precomputation it supports dynamic environments.

Not saying it is, but that light bounce door knob could very, very easily just be a prebaked texture. Why waste resources when a cleverly baked textures can do the job? That lighting is completely static.

I don't care really, I just needed an excuse to write knob on here.

Regarding the "lighting up" of the scene it might just be their custom lod talked about here: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/technical-art-culture-of-uncharted-4

It looks like a shader(?) lod in the "Drake meets Nadine" trailer, this is right after switching a scene and at 50% speed:
u42w7l5h.gif

It looks very weird in slow motion and if you point it out but it's almost unnoticeable during motion.

Edit: This might all be pointless since this is still pre-release footage, i would guess it was in beta during psx, and things will probably change till the game goes gold (same applies to QB and any other games)

Last edited:
Not saying it is, but that light bounce door knob could very, very easily just be a prebaked texture. Why waste resources when a cleverly baked textures can do the job? That lighting is completely static.

I don't care really, I just needed an excuse to write knob on here.

At 3:17 you can see the lighting changing as the door swings open:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back