Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

It's the style of the game. All smoke, explosions and particle effects have that cartoony look to them. It's a cute little game, try it it's free.

Hi,

just wondering:

Does the output resolution setting in the PS4 settings affect the rendering resolution of games?

If a game renders at 1080p when the PS4 is set to 1080p output, will it render at 720p when the PS4 is set to 720p output?

Or will the PS4 simply downscale the 1080p framebuffer down to 720p for 720p output?

On PS3, most 1080p games could be reduced to native 720p when changing the output to 720p.

How is it with the PS4?

How is it with the PS4?
Rendering and output are totally decoupled in the games I've looked at.

Although there were arguably benefits to the PS3's approach, it seemingly happened more due to the lack of a general-purpose scaling setup than devs actually wanting to configure rendering according to output settings.

Meaning extra AA at 720p.

Yeah, due to downsampling / supersampling.

Better framerate due to reduced rendering resolution would be preferrable though I guess.

Maybe problematic titles like Just Cause 3 for example, which drop as low as 20 fps (or maybe even lower) at 1080p, could be made running at a more solid 30 fps at 720p. But it seems like that apparently doesn't work with the PS4.

Is the Xbox One doing it the same as the PS4?

Yep. Lower res doesn't always mean higher framerate. On PS3 there were very few examples AFAIK of the lower rendering resolution resulting in a smoother game experience.

Or just CPU limited tasks.

There were some early 360 games that ran at 480p if selected - I think it was COD2 & Saints Row 1 - and they did run better (with 4xMSAA instead as well? something something eddie ramster).

FFX remaster ran at 1080p no AA if you had the 1080p setting on PS3...but there were FPS drops.

If you set it to 720p, it had no FPS drops but was 720p with FXAA

KH 1.5 was more interesting, 720p setting had 720p 4xMSAA 1080p setting had 1400x800 something with 2xMSAA

KH 1.5 was more interesting, 720p setting had 720p 4xMSAA 1080p setting had 1400x800 something with 2xMSAA

Same goes for Gran Turismo 5: Prologue and WipEout HD (Fury) for example, see:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wipeout-hd-fury-interview said:

Digital Foundry:
Aside from a more stable frame-rate and far less noticeable tearing, are there any other actual advantages to running in 720p? GT5 Prologue for example offers 4xMSAA in 720p versus 2x in its 1080p mode.

Studio Liverpool: Yes, 720p offers 2xMSAA whereas 1080p has only 2x2 filter to smooth jaggies. Also with the reduced resolution at 720p the fill rate becomes less of an issue and you can afford to increase the amount and size of alpha'd particle effects not to mention shader complexity. This would have allowed us to achieve more weather effects and atmospherics had we wanted to go down that route. Conversely, we really wanted that clean utopian feel so 1080p was the right choice for us to realise our vision and push the visual fidelity.

;)

Alot of PS3 games render differently in 720p and 1080p modes. You can try for yourself by removing the 720p output from the display settings.

Can anyone explain to me what this is?
riseofthetombraider02iruoi.jpg

riseofthetombraider0282ue6.jpg

It's very noticeable and looks really ugly in RotTR. Image is from maxed out PC version but i am guessing this is an issue on X1 as well.

Last edited:
Discussed already in different thread. On PC latest patch added a setting that solves this when set to high.

She is just a bit edgy, is all.
Getting high is definitely improving her mood though.

What just happened to this forum?

Back in the days (maybe let's call it "Quaz51 era"), such things would have been discussed seriously.

Today people are making fun of it and (besides me of course) do no longer even notice things like the messed up Global Illumination in Just Cause 3 on PlayStation 4 for example.

Heck, people do not even seem to care about the possibility that FreeSync could come to consoles...

Within the Quaz51 era, that surely would not have been the case.

Back