Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does scanning help to reduce the work?

That depends on many factors...

Scans are by their nature a perfect lifelike reference and starting point. That can seriously cut down on time spent on sculpting from scratch, art directing proportions and forms and shapes and such. But sometimes real life is not yet good enough, so some effort still has to be spent. Scanning itself is also time consuming in itself; building the infrastructure, arranging and performing the sessions with the talent, processing and cataloging the results and so on.

It is also possible to process scans to a very advanced level using procedural tools. The most common implementation I've seen is creating blendshapes and their wrinkle / blood flow maps from scan data and a reusable human head basemesh with UVs. The tool can automatically align the facial expression scans onto the neutral base scan, fit the basemesh on top of the facial expression scan, and extract color and normal maps by comparing the two. Some manual touch up work is probably still necessary; and I've also seen workflows which were optimized to scan several different elemental expressions at once, in order to shorten the scanning sessions, so some scans have to be separated into different shapes and maps. Some of this may also be possible to automate.
The other side of this is that those tools have to be researched and written, and that is quite costly and work intensive as well. However those costs may be amortized across multiple titles; either in sequels or by sharing technology across studios.

Edit - TLDR: scanning is mostly used to increase realism, but it can also help to reduce costs for creating highly realistic assets indeed.

I'm usually not at the office this time of the day... so I've looked... :)

Honestly though, the body proportions of all characters in H4/5 are actually slightly stylized. The torso is shorter, the legs longer, and the hands and feet are larger. This is most obvious on the male Spartan bodies.
eNCj5.jpg

Haven't seen a similar image on the female but I'd say it's similarly stylized. Makes sense though, especially with all the armor on top, as it works better that way.

Can't say if there were any body scans involved. I do know that their inhouse photogrammetry rig at the time of H4 wasn't advanced enough for good quality body scans (only 6 cameras); but they could've used contractors for that, like getting a Cyberware laserscan. I do recall a mention of a body double for Cortana in the credits though.

Theoretically speaking, female Spartans should have a low percentage of body fat, possibly imbalanced hormone levels as reproduction is not an issue but combat capabilities are; and a focus on augmentations that do not significantly modify individual measurements. With that said, it's also commonly accepted that squatting with heavy weights has a certain effect on the lower body.

Hopefully that's a good enough reply ;)

Lara looks great, definitely the best thing about the game. Facial animation in cutscenes has to be seen to be believed, amazing work there no doubt! Cutscenes in RoTR is like a totally different game, different assets, different lighting and is treated as such on X1 (different resolution for cutscenes and gameplay).

rottr2016-01-3113-50-b1xrs.jpg

rottr2016-01-3113-51-wjyvk.jpg

rottr2016-01-3113-51-9uyko.jpg

rottr2016-01-3113-52-3sz6w.jpg

For comparisons sake, same scene after the cutscene during gameplay:
rottr2016-01-3114-22-eelmu.jpg

Last edited:
lara_croft_evolution_new.jpg

The thing I don't understand about the lara character is why does she look so different in the face now. If you look at the history above (apart from the last) it all looks similar, OK you can argue body is more realistic now and you'll be right. But I'm only talking about the face, heres a real life person who played lara in a film, so to say oh ppl don't look like that in real life is wrong, so why the change? I expect the answer is we made her more plainjane looking to appeal to a wider demographic.
lara.jpeg

I had seen devs say somewhere, the new lara was designed as a mishmash of common female traits, so as to feel somewhat familiar to anyone. They stepped away from the exagerated slick and dagerous feline comic-book hero face, into a more aproachable common-girl.

This is not strictly about accurate human rendering or games, but I still think that it's really informative and relevant to this thread.

Basically, it's a sort of feedback session that a character artist would get at work from a good art director; a pretty good explanation of all the small but important steps that can make a good piece of artwork into outstanding. I'm no art director ;) but in all this time spent in the industry I've picked up things and that's what usually drives my comments about game graphics. Now with this video, I no longer have to explain my thought process, which would be similar but not quite as thorough :D
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=414&t=1339738

Also, Alessandro Baldasseroni is a pretty damn good artist, you've probably seen a lot of his work in game trailers from Blur studio; and he's now at Riot games, where as far as I know they've been building an in-house cinematics team for quite a while now.

I had seen devs say somewhere, the new lara was designed as a mishmash of common female traits, so as to feel somewhat familiar to anyone. They stepped away from the exagerated slick and dagerous feline comic-book hero face, into a more aproachable common-girl.
They could have made her cooler without exaggerations. The current Lara looks so common that she doesnt fit with the dangerous situations and the skills she has.
She should have looked like a person with huge confidence and experience. She doesnt need Pamela Anderson Boobs, tiny waste and Kardashian's ass. Her body can look well trained and ready to withstand the elements of nature. She is the female Bruce Wayne. She HAS to be prepared and well trained.

It is more realistic that way than having a common girl that climbs huge mountains, jumps high, lift weights, withstand pain, withstand the forces of nature and can kill a whole army. She is like what? A common 18 year old who is an ace, owns a PhD in about everything related to archaeology and has the condition of someone who does the iron man challenge every morning as a routine? Thats a different type of uncanny valley

@Nesh I see your point but then again there aren't any average guys in their mid to late 30s able to do what Nathan Drake does either and I'm way more likely to believe a character in their early 20s (I don't think this Lara is 18 unless I missed that in RotR) can do one handed dead lifts than the one in their late 30s.

Would I find a Lara shaped more like Gina Carano more believable, absolutely, but do I think that even a person that fit can do the things Natahan and Lara can do? No.

Then again Sasha DiGulian is a 19 year old champion free climber so maybe I just don't know what a person can do (http://www.shape.com/celebrities/in...lian-becoming-first-woman-conquer-murder-wall)

They could have made her cooler without exaggerations. The current Lara looks so common that she doesnt fit with the dangerous situations and the skills she has.
She should have looked like a person with huge confidence and experience. She doesnt need Pamela Anderson Boobs, tiny waste and Kardashian's ass. Her body can look well trained and ready to withstand the elements of nature. She is the female Bruce Wayne. She HAS to be prepared and well trained.

It is more realistic that way than having a common girl that climbs huge mountains, jumps high, lift weights, withstand pain, withstand the forces of nature and can kill a whole army. She is like what? A common 18 year old who is an ace, owns a PhD in about everything related to archaeology and has the condition of someone who does the iron man challenge every morning as a routine? Thats a different type of uncanny valley

I do agree with how her character doesn't fit the things she actually does, but its not a fault of her art design. The character was conceived that way, and the game's writing supports that 18 year old whats-her-face girl, that just so happens to be the next batman. Given the task of recreating that character, as ridiculous as it might be conceptually, the artists did nail what the game was going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back