Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

The dark zone I found to be an interesting interplay. I would consider it innovative to a degree. (a degree, you would get a similar feel from Rust and DayZ I believe)
Regular game play the challenges are tough (on hard mode) but generally speaking it's weird to see humans as bullet sponges.

Controls could use some work. Outfitting your character from the get go properly is critical in dark zone and possibly regular play.

Completing (dungeons) on harder difficulties require positioning and to some degree communication. But, if you are going in overpowered it's not a big deal.

I think all the mobs were the same model????

Last edited:
Image quality is really good on Ps4. Minimal aliasing and IQ is very stable during motion. It's missing motion blur though which at 30 fps is a bit jarring.

Image quality is really good on Ps4. Minimal aliasing and IQ is very stable during motion. It's missing motion blur though which at 30 fps is a bit jarring.
So far both Xbox and PS4 versions look and perform identically. Don't forget to crank the Sharpness to 70%

This game is so much fun with other people, i really like it and especially how DZ works. Oh and it's beautiful too.

The beta is so fun! The game looks amazing too. Probably going to hop back on it in a little bit here.

Shout out again to gemini002 for hooking up the beta code. :yes:

So far both Xbox and PS4 versions look and perform identically. Don't forget to crank the Sharpness to 70%
True. They seem to have gone for parity. Xbox One has small tearing and performance dips though, although this can be fixed on final version.
Also an amazing job on the consoles version when compared to PC Max settings.

My friend keeps getting wowed with the dialogue, visual, and battles.

I keep getting annoyed with the inconsistent visual that looked flat or too pop (it's inconsistent).

I feel the gameplay is clunky, especially for throwing nades.

I don't feel pulled by the story.

I hated the battles, especially the way the encounter is canned and the way the enemy able to keeps doing their thing without stagerring after getting shot in the head. Like nothing happened.

Destiny is also canned. It's enemy also bullet sponge.

But it's battle feels more dynamic (maybe due to the enemy can attack other enemy?) and more responsive to our attacks (maybe they have more animations?)

From what I've seen i think this is the best implementation of dynamic day/night cycle in an online game to date. The UI/HUD is also my favorite in a game to date. I wasn't looking forward to it before the beta but i can see myself buying this day 1 if it has enough content without the expansions (unlike Destiny).

Last edited:
I'll just say that i went past the same area twice during different TOD and thought "Wait, isn't this familiar?". Light can change so much in this game!

I'll just say that i went past the same area twice during different TOD and thought "Wait, isn't this familiar?". Light can change so much in this game!
The more impressed visual is Snowzilla by night, near Christmas light! Gameplay is really cool… so game sold!!!

From what I've seen i think this is the best implementation of dynamic day/night cycle in an online game to date. The UI/HUD is also my favorite in a game to date. I wasn't looking forward to it before the beta but i can see myself buying this day 1 if it has enough content without the expansions (unlike Destiny).

Hmm I guess I'll make a timelapse video.

Does the division kick you if idle for too long?

I hope they kick up the volume of enemies especially in the DZ. The landscape is really sparse in the terms of encounters. It exacerbated in the dz because the half dozen to dozen of players running killing everything constantly looking for loot. The scavenging seems pretty thin as you mostly revisit the same areas after the materials respawn. The character skills seem really diverse but everything else seems really light with simple mechanics.

The meat of the beta seems to be the dz pvp combat which is odd because we all are suppose to be on the same side and are tasked with helping the city recover while dz combat is more the city is devolving into chaos.

Played a bit more today. Cover mechanics are pristine, i really like how the game plays. Great graphics, great performance, good gameplay, promoting cooperative play; TD is set for success. I'm just waiting to see what will make the final cut for the game and what for the expansions. The one problem i had with Destiny at launch was that it was thin on content and what was there was dull (story) while the mechanics were great and the MP was fun. I hope TD ships with enough worthwhile content and a decent story, i really dig what i played so far.

Some shots i got today:

In-door
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1628/24098404624_df55de613c_o.jpg
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1689/24726591135_72fb9ef5ed_o.jpg
24700372926_240c939e62_o.jpg

24098385884_4ef7d100c2_o.jpg

Outdoor
24098392464_ed9689bea2_o.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1454/24608782952_254c4ed476_o.jpg
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1540/24700356836_713ac4f341_o.jpg
24358931049_ba2ece876a_o.jpg

Last edited:
Huge worries about content. Is there so little content in the final release that the beta had to be absolutely anaemic? There's one mission, some incredibly simple side missions and a bunch of primitive encounters. The Dark Zone is basically the The Empty Zone. Spent most of my time running around looking for enemies, finding nothing. The controls work very well, but just about every secondary system like crafting is disabled, so I have no idea how deep it is. I have a very bad feeling about the game overall. They didn't seem to want people to touch any of the depth before release.

Last edited:
IIRc the alpha had a lot more content, though I didn't play it much. i seem to recall many missions instead of just one.

Right off the bat though this doesn't have crucible like Destiny...yes it's different, but it essentially restrict it to PVE game only (Dark Zone=PVP in PVE context). In a way that means it's missing half a game compared to Destiny.

If I can hit 320 in Destiny by release of this, more than likely I will at least temporarily give this a try as my full time Destiny replacement, see how it goes.

BTW Souls games are said to be their own new genre, I think "Destiny-likes" (or something) are too. This being the 2nd. Course Destiny is hated so people probably wont want to credit it for starting a whole genre..but they should.

Last edited:
Somehow it still doesn't "grab" me away from Destiny in either Alpha or Beta. Seems possibly fun and ambitious though. Part of the problem is knowing my progress wont keep deters me. I saw a video that you want to just play the one Beta mission over and over on hard til you hit level 8 and can do Dark Zone. I dunno, doesn't sound super fun.

I will likely buy it for sure so it doesn't really matter.

Interesting they've already announced a traditional pay DLC heavy strategy (3 paid DLC in the 1st year), that Destiny is moving away from. They didn't sound all that meaty either.

What hurts this compared to Destiny is that the basic combat and movement aren't as intrinsically joyful. Destiny FEELS so good to play that its not so bad killing the same mobs in the same place over and over again. The Division will have to make up for that gameplay deficit with more/better single player content. It remains to be seen if they will pull that off.

Back