Subscriptions and Donations

My pleasure, thanks for subscribing and supporting the site :love:

Ok, so now an ego question :D

Since there's been a $22 throwdown called out in the front page squawkbox, I now must defend my manly internet e-peen honor and contribute some much-deserved moolah to the continuation of my favorite website. if I break out the big bill as a subscription, will I show up in the top donators list on the front page to apply the pleasant-meaning n00b beatdown to he who initiated my hulk rage?

Because, if not, how am I supposed to bestow the Righteous Tribute to PC Gaming Gods and Donator Of That Which Was Bigger to hesido and his measly $21? :D Let's be blunt, an e-peen arms race is a great way to stir up those donations!

I'll still subscribe anyway ;)

Ha! Subscriptions don't show up on the side box, but if anyone wants to donate so it shows up there, but not subscribe, PM me and I'll turn on subscriber mode so you get the benefits of that too. I plan to do that eventually (so donating gives you no ads and stuff too) but it's not been wired up yet.

Or, you could donate to get on the board and then subscribe afterwards too and save me a few clicks ;)

will I show up in the top donators list on the front page to apply the pleasant-meaning n00b beatdown
It will not work anyway, as if I had not read this thread, I would not have known that there is a sidebar with top donators :D
Seems I turned the sidebar off a loooong time ago, as it steals width on my puny laptop display, and forgot it even exists...

How about...
Dr.-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.png

I've a question that's purely hypothetical at the moment - how does moderation work with subscription? Have we right to ban subscribers who are paying for membership?

Perhaps I shouldn't ask this in public as, if it's decided we have no powers over them, all the subscribers might abuse their power!

How about changing their user name to something really cringeworthy
But how can you make sure it won't be the poster's fetish, by random chance?

For the record my donation is a swear jar I felt I owed for my occasional lack of emotional stability. I hope it's not perceived as some sort of free pass.

So here is a question.

Can we subscribe and control ads being on and off depending on device ? I don't mind the adds at home on my pc and surface but on my phone when I'm out in the wild I rather save the loading time by removing them.

I know you said they don't contribute a lot but I rather you get to double dip on my loyalty lol.

I've been donating but I'm going to start to subscribe.

The cost of the code to handle that case on a per-user basis is more than we'd make back in extra revenue. You'll just have to subscribe and suffer no ads anywhere. I know that's hard, and you love ads and dearly want to see them when you browse Beyond3D, but you're just going to have to deal with it.

As for Shifty's original question, paying for a subscription isn't a free pass. If someone needs to be banned and they're a subscriber, I'll manually cancel their subscription and pro-rata refund any monthly payment in play at the time. I like to feel like someone who likes the forums and site enough to subscribe is going to be a solid part of the community, but if we encounter otherwise then it'll be cleaned up on a case-by-case basis.

The cost of the code to handle that case on a per-user basis is more than we'd make back in extra revenue. You'll just have to subscribe and suffer no ads anywhere. I know that's hard, and you love ads and dearly want to see them when you browse Beyond3D, but you're just going to have to deal with it.

Bro , I've been browsing this site for like over a decade , some of us like the feel and look of ads , don't try to pull us to your post ad world !

But I will just donate a little extra to make up for the lack of ads

Hello, I need to renew my yearly green subscription and there's no bitcoin option yet; can I get a wallet address (and amount) like a year ago?

Hi, that may be a silly question, but have you thought about selling goodies? I would sure like a Beyond3D t-shirt.

I've never really thought about doing something like that. Without publishing new content, it feels uncomfortable to take in more money than we raise just now. The ads, current level of subscriptions and my contribution cover the bills pretty much perfectly, so there's no real need for more site income at the moment.

That said, if there's untapped demand for something like a t-shirt (which would be awesome, I agree), I could put that together. The income could just sit there for a rainy day. Will investigate costs and think about a design.

For the design? If so, now that you mention it, that could be a laugh if only to see what Davros would submit.

Back