Rise of the Tomb Raider [PC]

Clukos

Bloodborne 2 when?
Veteran
Supporter
captures8snw.png

January PC release for those interested: http://store.steampowered.com/app/391220/

The game is out for PC, and if the latest benchmarks mean anything, it looks like it got the Gameworks treatment.
Meaning: performance on AMD cards seems crap in comparison.

Though one thing that bugs me is that pcgameshardware.de seemed to use only top-tier pre-overclocked versions for all nVidia cards (980 Ti at 1.3GHz, 980 and 970 at 1.32GHz, 960 at 1.4GHz... are they shipping at these speeds?).
Also, the nVidia cards are using the 361.75 drivers that came out today specifically for Tomb Raider, whereas AMD cards are using the 16.1 that was released earlier this month.

OTOH, the "Pure Hair" (Tress FX 3.0 with the name changed) seems to be very toned down when used with nVidia cards.

AMD:
9kBeggo.png

nVidia:
WSxBViw.png

Perhaps the new geforce driver is reducing the amount of hair strands and atmospheric effects in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the game up until the
Soviet camp and the first tomb after that

The game is a mixed bag visually, i can get it to run 60 fps almost maxed out at 1080p. Sometimes the game looks incredible, sometimes it looks flat out garbage. Hope it gets better because i don't like the look of that snow environment, it looks bad all around (except the first encounter with the flare, that looked really cool).

Ok, i am at the geothermal valley now. Digging the exploration stuff, not digging the combat (even at 60 fps, something about the camera, the recoil it just feels eh) the only thing i like about it is the bow which is great.

Also, i can't think of many reasons why this game doesn't have a proper TAA. Shimmering all over the place, literally everywhere :-|

Last edited:
True, that first base camp is a bit meh, but the snow itself isn't too bad.

Finished it, enjoyable experience but nothing incredible. I found it to be worse than the reboot.

Seems like people playing the pc version on gaf are catching up on what is happening in the game

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194252531&postcount=2284
jaggedness26rpj.png

One picture i got
24693260202_44c395e828_o.jpg

Note, this is a native 1080p capture with 2xSSAA on top (more like 1440p). Much of the screen seems to be running at sub-native res. I can't exactly pin-point what is the cause for this but there are many cases in the game where it seems like parts of the screen are running well below native res and it hurts the IQ tremendously.

Never mind, the game just got patched. New option for specular reflections quality which was the culprit for the X1/PC version. Comparison gif i made:
specular-reflections-u2sdl.gif

haha I've read that book :)

So that SRQ Very High looks much better. What's the performance hit to make the game look like it's supposed to?

haha I've read that book :)

So that SRQ Very High looks much better. What's the performance hit to make the game look like it's supposed to?

I am not sure but Nvidia is reporting a 3-4 fps loss at very high vs high.

The Medium SRQ option looks so bad there are even flies coming out of it.

It ought to depend on the scene considering the shading going on. Some folks have reported (noticeably) worse performance (and maybe they weren't using 980Ti ala the geforce article).

I've locked the game to 30 since 60 isn't viable with a single 970, bumped up the res to 2351x1323 via DSR maxed out everything but shadows (on high instead of very high) and i am getting ~70% GPU usage average and a locked 30 at all times in the most perf intensive areas (Geothermal valley/Soviet camp). And after switching to very high SQR i just can't play it on high or medium, that pixelated effect is off putting and ruins the IQ of the game.

Back