Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
These eyes are rendered better IMO.
You can see the veins, the transparency is also convincing and they look more gelatinous.
Skin is a bit too smooth, too plastic (a common problem IMO) but you can still see the pores.

14517864903_821bb4b051_b.jpg

Last edited:
They are all a bit too "doll like"; the wrinkles, the muscles, they look flat, "painted/drawn" so to speak.
It works and it looks "good" for fantasy game but it's not not very accurate tbh.

An oriental girl with heavy makeup might look like that though ;)

Last edited:
They are all a bit too "doll like"

Since they are South Korean developers, I think they chose their domestic "eye lid surgery" frenze style on purpose. You can make really great looking Kpop (as well as Jpop or JAV) characters. Who can look bit "unrealistic" in real life too. Still, it's one of the best character creation systems in game.

I am not saying it's "bad".
We are talking about accurate/faithful human rendering here and even though those characters look "good" they are very idealized, stylized, exaggerated, modified...which is common in a representation/picture.

Last edited:
I am not saying it's "bad".
We are talking about accurate/faithful human rendering here and even though those characters look "good" they are very idealized, stylized, exaggerated, modified...which is common in a representation/picture.

Since the editor provides a wealth of customization options (for literally almost everything) you can make your character as faithful to real life as you want it to be. I've gave it a try and i am amazed by the amount of options available, this should be a standard for all MMOs imo.

An editor that allows creation of realistic and unrealisitc/stylised characters will have an incoherant art style. Ergo it's not suited to every game.

Since the editor provides a wealth of customization options (for literally almost everything) you can make your character as faithful to real life as you want it to be. I've gave it a try and i am amazed by the amount of options available, this should be a standard for all MMOs imo.
Mass Effect pls.

Ugly Shepard may be an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing can just be dumb. and stupid.

Don't have the time to create a character right now but these are the options given to you over the body and face (plus extensive hair options and styling with hair length/position and multiple color mixing)

Face
blackdesert642016-01-equgr.jpg

Body (kinda NSFW-ish?): http://abload.de/img/blackdesert642016-01-0xugp.jpg

And i think it's pretty impressive for an MMO (especially when compared with what other MMOs are currently doing), and it's also pushing for unique characters (which is important in an mmo).

Last edited:
Some characters from GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172715

BD1.png

b37E36U.jpg

24123871259_4ca4a440fc_o.png

fTTNZ3P.jpg

And many others in the thread. I bet you can find a ton around the internet. I think the more options in character creators the better, people who don't care about playing around with the creator use the templates, people who do get to create a unique character.

Last edited:
All of these are heavily stylized, and the relatively flat lighting also helps.

Sure it looks somewhat like magazine covers - but those aren't real either...

I think people can make less flamboyant looking characters, everyone is just getting their hands on this tool. Also, obviously skin shader is fairly simplistic (although better than most, if not all, mmos), lighting too.

All things considered, I think it's good that we finally see some progress in MMOs, where you invest a lot of time in your character. I haven't seen many mmos that try to do at least half of what Black Desert is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back