Forum server moves - 17th January 2015

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Early on Sunday morning I'll take the forums offline, to move the servers to brand new infrastructure at our new host in Germany. I've moved the rest of Beyond3D there in dribs and drabs over the last few weeks, and I'm happy enough with the physical hardware and setup now to move the forums as well.

The move to a new host spends the Beyond3D budget better and saves us a nice chunk of money every month. There are secondary benefits, but that's the main driving force.

The provider has excellent transit and peering in Europe and to North America, so you shouldn't notice any difference in performance.

Anyway, Sunday morning. If I postpone it for whatever reason, I'll let everyone know.

Hopefully it moves smoothly. :3

Attachments

• ALBUMQB08I3131006001131.jpg
    ALBUMQB08I3131006001131.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 23
Just a quick note to say this is going ahead as planned after more testing today. I'll turn the forums off just before their scheduled backup run at 6am, and then that backup run will be used to populate the new server with its data (it's a nice test that the backup process actually works, which is why I'm doing it that way).

Downtime will hopefully just be 2-3 hours. It'll hopefully actually be a lot less (I did a full backup and restore in < 30 mins earlier), but I'll take the opportunity to perform some other maintenance and some load testing before turning them on again. If anything goes wrong, I'll just cut straight back to the old stuff and move us on another day.

If you can't access the forums for whatever reason after the work, poke me on Twitter (@Beyond3D).

One difference worth pointing out, between the new hosting and the old, is that we don't have IPv6 on the new stuff. I'm working on that, but it's a bit more complex to enable than it was before. I'll probably switch that on sometime in early February.

Yep, I updated to the latest release. The thing I notice as different feels like a bug to me (thicker lines between forums in the main page list).

Last edited:
The noticeably duller and similar colors for a lot of the buttons and stuff makes me sad. Harder to differentiate for those with poorer vision.

Not your fault, though, Rys. thanks for updating so we get security updates and shit. :)

Just noticed I titled the thread with 2015. Oops.

I.S.T., which theme do you use? The Beyond3D one?

Why does the B3D homepage show as HTTP/2 whereas the forum doesn't? I see they're going to 2 different IPs but on the same block? Are they on 2 separate servers?

Yep. The website server uses a custom nginx I build myself, the forum server uses Ubuntu's (stock, old) nginx without HTTP/2 support.

Back