Standing desks

I've been really interested in Soylent since it showed up. I believe in the idea that you can get what your body needs in that format and be healthy (and probably more so than normal). What gives me caution is those that try it are predisposed to thinking it's doing good and might therefore underreport issues, so it's hard to get a clear picture of it.

Plus I really like regular food! I didn't get this fat just by tipping the same old cold soupy mix down my neck. It took decades of overeating delicious things and sitting down a lot to do GPUs.
Did you ever try a low carb high fat diet? E.g. www.dietdoctor.com

Eat the best of all foods...except carb and sugar.

It does wonder. The more overweight you are the better it helps.

It is not easy (the body needs at least 2 weeks to adjust as the body is literally addicted to carbs and sugar), but you will see results.

My advice: try it for 4 weeks!

I'm 6 weeks into into a low-carb, high-protein, high(ish)-fat diet at the moment with decent results so far. I've found it completely impossible to cut out all carbs, but significantly cutting down is easy enough. Lost 17lbs and counting.

Woo, congratulations!

One of the easiest and hardest things I often have people do is challenge themselves to go 1 week or 1 month without any sugar. At first they find it incredibly difficult and have sugar cravings and they figure that as soon as the week is over they can't wait to consumer sugary things. But quite often, by the end of the week, they'll find they've lost a bit of weight, feel better overall, and that sugar isn't quite the draw it was before.

I myself don't cut all of it out, as then it's possible I may form a craving for it. Instead I've just greatly cut down on it such that I eat very little of it (sugars and simple carbs) such that it satisfies my desire to have it without getting to the point of craving it. Perhaps eventually I'll cut all sugar out, but I'm in good shape now, so I currently don't see a need to completely abstain.

I suppose that (as Silent Buddha says) abdominals are hugely important to anybody.

Heh. Yup. Think of your abdominals as the foundation and strength of everything you do. Everything becomes easier to do as your abdominals get into better shape.

For those that have trouble sitting. There's a plethora of things that could be the cause. Not the least of which is potential curvature of the spine (in not natural but not necessarily harmful ways). That can come about through years of bad posture. Something as simple as having a wallet in a back pants pocket can throw your posture off and cause back problems. If you lie on one side a LOT in such a way as to make your spinal column curve to one side or another. Those are just a few examples.

Much of that can be mitigated such that it is no longer a comfort problem or at least not much of one by working to strengthen your abdominals (yup those and not just your central ones but your obliques [side abdominals] as well), stretching muscles that could pull on your back muscles (like the ones in the back of your upper legs), carefully strengthening your back muscles (walking does this naturally), and stretching in general to keep muscles from tightening up so they don't constantly pull and causes stress to themselves as well as on other parts of the body. And, of course, work on getting a proper sitting posture (so much easier with healthy abs).

Of course, it's always possible that the curvature of the spine (or other physical problems) could be so bad that it is no longer possible to sit in a good sitting position. You'd want to see a real doctor (not a chiropractor) to see if that's the case, however.

Regards,
SB

I'm 6 weeks into into a low-carb, high-protein, high(ish)-fat diet at the moment with decent results so far. I've found it completely impossible to cut out all carbs, but significantly cutting down is easy enough. Lost 17lbs and counting.

Great!!! Congratulations! This is cool to hear.

Just one thought on the way: Pease be aware that the high carb high fat diet advises to eat moderate protein! It is high in fat, not high in protein. Actually, when in the process of losing fat, I would recommend moderate fat also...as part of the fat intake comes from your own body.

The problem with high protein is that the body can basically convert 2 proteins into one carp (this also shows that carb is the only ingredient which is not necessary in a diet, as the body can create it himself if necessary!). So when eating more protein than the body needs, it converts it into carbs to store it...this than also spikes your insulin, which is exactly what you do not want.

But, every person is different. You already have massive success with your new way of eating and it is best to keep doing what you do as this works for you - great!

Pics or it didn't happen !

Great!!! Congratulations! This is cool to hear.

Just one thought on the way: Pease be aware that the high carb high fat diet advises to eat moderate protein! It is high in fat, not high in protein. Actually, when in the process of losing fat, I would recommend moderate fat also...as part of the fat intake comes from your own body.

The problem with high protein is that the body can basically convert 2 proteins into one carp (this also shows that carb is the only ingredient which is not necessary in a diet, as the body can create it himself if necessary!). So when eating more protein than the body needs, it converts it into carbs to store it...this than also spikes your insulin, which is exactly what you do not want.

But, every person is different. You already have massive success with your new way of eating and it is best to keep doing what you do as this works for you - great!
I didn't know that the body would do that with protein, that's interesting and good to know. The high-protein part is more personal preference than anything; I'm cutting down on carbs, but I still want a decent amount of food on my plate, and more protein is the easiest way to do it. I'll do some experiments over the next month or so with changing the balance a bit, and see what happens.

I'm encouraged by the progress though, which is great. I know at some point it'll plateau, and I'll have to start expending more energy to keep it going, and ramp up to some regular exercise, but diet alone at the moment is paying off.

@pascal Forgot to mention that I'd taken that tip. I'm not so keen on lemons as just an ad-hoc thing to throw into my diet, but limes are semi regular now, both by themselves and juiced into ice water!

Congratulations Rys!!!

And dont forget fruit and vegetables, specially lemon and lime http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/283476.php

I personally would be very very carefully with fruits. Fruits should be treated as sweets (which they actually are as they are full of sugar) and should be eaten only very rare. There are some berries which are 'ok', but when trying to lose weight, I wouldn't risk eating to much fruits...

For vegetable I would recommend to focus on variants that grow above the ground, because the others typically are sometimes quite high in carbs (starchy).

But as I said, Rys is on a roll and I would recommend that he just follows what he is doing right now, as it works so well.

Back