All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
5:1 PS4:X1. Anyone got figures to compare to PS3? Germany is known as a PC-gaming centric nation. Is PS4 making inroads, or just selling to the existing console market?

PS4 is making inroads in Germany but entire console market is bigger than before but it continues to be a big PC market.

Fresh home console numbers from France:

LTD:
PS4 - 2.15M
WiiU - 742K
Xbone - 715K

Total 2015 sales:
PS4 - 1M
WiiU - 228K
Xbone - 298K

Total 2014 sales:
PS4: 860,000
XB1: 290,000
Wii U: 240,000

In Germany

2013 would be skewed by supply constraints on PS4. Since then it's been steady 5:1.

I dunno, these numbers seem better for XBO and Wii U than I would have expected. For example, it's only 3:1 in France.

However overall it's what we knew. The average of France+Germany will be 4:1, and it might be even worse in rest of Europe.

Interesting that Wii U is still ahead XBO in both places, although that seems destined to change.

So, making some WW sales:
XBO
USA~11.1m
France 715k
Germany 600k
UK ~2.5 million (my estimate based on 5.5million PS4+X1, and accurate software share)
Japan 64k (heh)

Total~15.0

PS4
USA~12.4 million
France=2.15m
Germany=2.8m
UK 3m (my likely accurate estimate)
Japan 2.36m

Total=22.7

Notable outstanding markets and their populations (not to be confused with their console market size which can vary greatly): Canada (35m), Australia (23), Brazil (200), Mexico (122), Russia (143), China/Asia (a lot), and in EU, Italy (61), Spain (46), Netherlands (17), Belgium (11), Sweden/Norway/Finland (20 combined), Portugal (10), Denmark (6), Greece (11). Middle East.

You actually run out of EU countries with a notable population that aren't ex soviet block (Poland/Hungary/etc) pretty quickly. I dont think ex soviet have much console markets. The largest would be Poland (38 million population) and googling Poland PS4 sales, well I learned nothing about PS4 but that PS3 was supposedly at 400,000 in Poland as of 2011.

Last edited:
2016-01-21_22-08-15_zps78968pcr.jpg

The above is a very rough look at estimated XB1 sales based on NPD and GfK data. The UK numbers for 2014 and 2015 are just split across the years due to lack of data in 2014.

As you can see 2014 was a bigger year for all 4 major markets and we can most likely assume that the other 9 tier 1 markets saw higher sales across the 12 months in 2014 compared to the 2 launch months in 2013. Especially as these markets include Canada, Latin America and Australasia which usually purchase Xbox's.

So just a minimum estimate but i'd say 2m extra come from those tier 1 countries in 2014 & 2015 taking the total to 17.5m at the least before we even look at tier 2 sales.

Amazing that WiiU is still ahead of XB1 in Germany and France on top of Japan. Nintendo really only need to focus on North America for NX (the UK will never be into Nintendo imo). Decent hardware, multiple form factors that play the same library of games, much better marketing and a $199-$249 price point should mean they do very well with families, kids and Nintendo fans.

EA estimates that the PS4+XB1 install base is around 55M (not over as Zhuge reported apparently) as of the end of 2015; credit ZhugeEx via twitter.
Sony said 35.9M, so XB1 is at ~19.1M.

XB1 sold ~11.1M in the US so the US makes up for ~58% of all sales, which is pretty much what I guessed (55-60%, but the number that I had in my head was 57-58%). We can maybe use that percentage to roughly guess the XB1's future WW sales. This is basically how I've been estimating XB1's sales for the past few months.

Last edited:
Sales maybe. I'll still call shipments ~50% compared to US NPD sales.

Also I dont know I consider EA's number a hard and fast one, personally. Maybe more vague approximation.

Interestingly even lowball 58% puts XBO at 19 million way above any GAF lowball estimate (14 million?). Then again GAF is getting close to disagreeing any Xbox has ever been sold outside USA, so just call it 11.1 million for them.

Remember they estimated 52-53M back in December, and they've revised their estimates multiple times throughout the year. This most recent estimate is probably within a few hundred thousand at the very most.

I also think it's accurate because their numbers are close to mine. :)
This is what I said in early January before we got NPD's December report. XB1 ended up selling a bit more than I estimated in the US in December, so 19.1M makes sense to me.

Last edited:
EA estimates that the PS4+XB1 install base is around 55M (not over as Zhuge reported apparently) as of the end of 2015; credit ZhugeEx via twitter.
Sony said 35.9M, so XB1 is at ~19.1M.

XB1 sold ~11.1M in the US so the US makes up for ~58% of all sales, which is pretty much what I guessed (55-60%, but the number that I had in my head was 57-58%). We can maybe use that percentage to roughly guess the XB1's future WW sales. This is basically how I've been estimating XB1's sales for the past few months.

Yup, sorry. I was typing in a rush and may have misheard them. I'll check the transcript when it's up. But basically they said 55 million as of end of 2015 for PS4 + XB1 and this number is almost 50% more than PS3 + 360 install base in the same timeframe.

So based on the 35.9m number from Sony that would put XB1 somewhere around 19 million as you say. Give or take.

Sales maybe. I'll still call shipments ~50% compared to US NPD sales.

Also I dont know I consider EA's number a hard and fast one, personally. Maybe more vague approximation.

Interestingly even lowball 58% puts XBO at 19 million way above any GAF lowball estimate (14 million?). Then again GAF is getting close to disagreeing any Xbox has ever been sold outside USA, so just call it 11.1 million for them.

Well using all publicly available sales data we know Xbox One has to be over 15.7 million at an absolute minimum..... So not sure how anyone can estimate 14 million, haha.

Remember they estimated 52-53M back in December, and they've changed their estimates multiple times. This most recent estimate is probably within a few hundred thousand at the very most.

I also think it's accurate because their numbers are close to mine. :)
This is what I said in early January before we got NPD's December report.

EA consistently change their forecasts, Originally it was under 50 million if I remember correctly. But those were all forecasts. The number quoted in the conference call is an actual estimate of a prior date and therefore can be taken a bit more seriously. Is it 55m bang on? no. But it's going to be very close to that number. Give or Take.

Yeah my mistake, 'forecast' would be a better word for EA's earlier numbers.

There are definitely quite a few Sony 'fanboys' at GAF so you'll see the odd lowball estimate. The lowest that I saw was like 16M though. Most were reasonable estimates... in the 17-20M range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back