Ratchet and Clank [PS4]

But why would u want to pay for a sub optimal condition when that same game has shown u the optimal experience already?
Honestly, I wouldn't have bothered if I had not played Nexus and found it sub-optimal compared to ACiT even when the gameplay had more fun stuff to do in Nexus.

The game really stuttered and felt so sluggish compared to previous RnC games that it hurt. And RnC can get VERY hectic with tons of enemies on screen and the player continuously shooting and jumping sideways at the same time while. Anyone saying RnC is like UC is simply wrong. Later stages of RnC games have so much going on on-screen that u just cannot stand or walk...its constant jumping and shooting. And if the game chugs , its very noticeable !

Again if Insomniac had never shown us how good it feels at 60fps, we would have never known. Just like Bloodborne ! I wonder if we would be okay with a 30fps BB if we had played a 60fps version....its not as fast as RnC but it does require much more precision than RnC !

If Insomniac was to go 30fps , they should have never given 60 with RnC. Also it simply proves that even the developer knows that the game is better at 60, otherwise they wouldn't have kept it going for so long. It's only when they felt the industry moving ahead in visuals(I don't agree, RnC looked great) and ppl went crazy over which games looked best last gen, that they "sacrificed" the 60 fps. Didn't do them much good , did it? It only made their stellar games loose out on the one thing they did best: gameplay !

That is correct.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/insomniac-60fps-no-more

I don't think going from 60 to 30fps is a bad trade off, nor do i consider it an inferior game if it does. Sure things are smoother at 60fps absolutely, but i don't really think its a make or break "let's protest!" sort of thing.

They obviously had their priorities, and YMMV, but a lot of people have pretty high mileage.

My only point of contention for framerate is consistency. If the drops are minimized, or relatively contained from being too low, that's fine in my book, but if the game performs like crap and is stuttering all over the place like Just Cause 3, or Witcher 3 was for months, that's a big problem.

I think it depends on the genre IMO. A shooter at 30 FPS matters a lot more than say a strategy game or an rpg.

That was why I got irritated when Insominac decided to go 30 FPS. They make shooters pretty much exclusively.

I don't think going from 60 to 30fps is a bad trade off, nor do i consider it an inferior game if it does. Sure things are smoother at 60fps absolutely, but i don't really think its a make or break "let's protest!" sort of thing.

Have you actually compared the 60 fps R&C games against the 30 fps R&C games?

btw if you have some types of physical disabilities you're SOL on playing Tools of Destruction. I learn that the hard way. ._. Once that fly through the rings bullshit popped up and i barely beat the first instance while causing myself a lot of pain I just nope.avi'd the fuck out of there.

Mentioning this in case anyone here(lurking or otherwise) wants to compare the last one or two Ratchet games against the first PS3 Ratchet games.

You've skipped over a lot of posts. The PS4 Ratchet & Clank game is 30fps and inuhanyou's post suggests Insomniac made a conscious decision to target 30fps onwards about seven years ago!

You've living in the past, man! You're living in the past!
I even replied to that. My post holds. I can disagree with Insomniac while living them. I am not a possessive fussy girlfriend.

I've played the PS2 games and Into the Nexus, yes. I don't really feel its a big deal.

There were probably years between those and most peoples' memories are not that good to compare them. I believe there are demos on the PS Store, try those if you really want to compare without spending money.

Just play ACIT and then Nexus. The difference is very very clear. Maybe it wouldn't have hurt if it was stable 30 fps, but it dips during the most important Boss battles. Takes away the whole careless explosion festa fun of the game.

Well, we're talking about the new R&C here, and i really doubt the FPS is gonna be bad in this case, just based on the footage we've seen

It will be just as fast as UC4 and many other 30fps games. I don't recall the R&C games being 'fast'.

The difference is, R&C is a real platformer. You know, the genre of games we used to play and grow up with that required precision? Because jumping from platform to platform, whilst shooting and aiming is what really benefits a higher framerate. Sure, 30fps works. 20fps works too. 15fps might even work too, but after years and years of countless platformers and R&C games that produced stellar game mechanics at 60fps, why should we be satisfied with anything less? And here Insomniac wonders why they've been going down the drain over all these years and they take away one of the bullet point features that made them strong in the first place.

Yup, RnC for me is constant strafing+Jummping+Shooting at the same time while the whole screen is full of explosions and the audio is full of bolt-clinks !

I will still end up buying this cos there is no replacement for RnC out there, but I really really wanted this to be 60 fps. If they re-release nexus at 1080p60fps on the ps4, I would buy it twice !

The difference is, R&C is a real platformer. You know, the genre of games we used to play and grow up with that required precision? Because jumping from platform to platform, whilst shooting and aiming is what really benefits a higher framerate. Sure, 30fps works. 20fps works too. 15fps might even work too, but after years and years of countless platformers and R&C games that produced stellar game mechanics at 60fps, why should we be satisfied with anything less? And here Insomniac wonders why they've been going down the drain over all these years and they take away one of the bullet point features that made them strong in the first place.

There's barely any platforming in it, though. At least not the demanding kind of platorming. Seriously, when do you ever have to platform whilst shooting in those games. Most of the trickier battles in the series have been taking place in distinct, wide arena type areas or corridors excluisvely. The amount of enemies present during the very few platforming segments you could label as being somewhat demanding was always a big fat zero. I'm not arguing that 60 fps might feel better (though framerate is far away from being the sole variable which might have an impact on tactility: Bloodborne feels more responsive and snappy than the DS2 remaster despite topping out at half of the framerate), just saying that R&C was never a game that required split second timing. It's not Shovel Knight.

Back