Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Similarly if these lightweight experiences are only available on windows gaming pc's that will either severely limit the market size or push the market to use gearvr like solutions. I would like to see these lightweight content work on any os and any machine capable of reasonable videoplayback.
I have a low end phone, a Moto E. For me, even GearVR costs $800, because I still need to pay the price of the supported phone. I would get an Oculus Rift at $900(Canada) because its a superior solution. And I have the flexibility of playing games with the latter if I want to upgrade to a better video card, while its quite minimal for the former.

If I wanted OR for gaming, I would be satisified with non-3D experience until the 14nm cards release, which by then a $400 video card will be good as a $900 980 Ti.

I would have to seriously question the logic of those that think OR price is expensive when they can afford $800 phones every few years and they can just "buy GearVR".

We are talking about people who don't have a good baseline system at all and need to buy everything brand new. I have a 2600K which would be good enough with the right video card.

Last edited:
I would have to seriously question the logic of those that think OR price is expensive when they can afford $800 phones every few years
You want Logic?
Well one of those is within reach of a person 16 hours a day 7 days a week wherever they go and for most is hard to imagine life without it
the other? well is a fun distraction
Hell I bet even the guys developing VR software/hardware use their phones more than have a VR device on their heads

i.e. the bang per buck ratio is very lopsided

I have a low end phone, a Moto E. For me, even GearVR costs $800, because I still need to pay the price of the supported phone. I would get an Oculus Rift at $900(Canada) because its a superior solution. And I have the flexibility of playing games with the latter if I want to upgrade to a better video card, while its quite minimal for the former.

If I wanted OR for gaming, I would be satisified with non-3D experience until the 14nm cards release, which by then a $400 video card will be good as a $900 980 Ti.

I would have to seriously question the logic of those that think OR price is expensive when they can afford $800 phones every few years and they can just "buy GearVR".

We are talking about people who don't have a good baseline system at all and need to buy everything brand new. I have a 2600K which would be good enough with the right video card.

I guess it just depends on what your personal needs/preferences are. Some people like to have a fancy phone but are not at all interested in having a gaming pc or a console. Something like macbook air or even a tablet might be fine enough for those people to do taxes, browse web and see the cat videos from youtube.

Market consisting of all the samsung, apple,... phones that can run vr reasonably is mugh bigger than pc or console vr. I doubt many people would buy phone because of vr, it's the other way around. Many and more people already have phone capable of running vr.

Gearvr is around 100$. And this carl zeiss contraption is about 130$ http://zeissvrone.tumblr.com/

Samsung S6 phone alone has sold tens of millions of devices and all of those people can jump into vr by investing 100$.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-galaxy-s6-sales-estimates-db/

Last edited:
I wonder how many reasonably vr capable phones are sold next year. Probably closer to 200 million? And count all the older phones from 2015 that are reasonable and sold already. That's a good market and entry price for those people is pretty low...

I wouldn't be surprised if people walk into bestbuy and try oculus/htc... and then walk out with gearvr or similar solution for their phone.

Purchasing a Galaxy S6 has its own value.
If you buy a Galaxy S6 and leave it at home waiting to get used once in a while for VR experiences, you're doing it wrong.
Even more if you're coming from a Moto E.

Some interesting comparisons between the different competing vr solutions

http://www.gizmag.com/oculus-rift-vs-htc-vive-ces-2016/41361/

We used all three of the big VR headsets at CES: the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive andSony PlayStation VR. As we said last week, none of them suck. PS VR is a few steps behind the other two on a visual level and on a motion controller level, but even it would make a great first impression for someone who's never tried VR before.
Mod: When copy/pasting, please ensure formatting isn't copied. This text was unreadable on the dark theme, and is the third quote in 24 hours I've had to edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it, I couldn't hold out any longer. I went for it. That July delivery date is a killer though, I hope it does come forward like you say eastmen. I'm sure some people will cancel their pre-orders between now and then anyway, especially when the other 2 headsets go on sale.

On the bright side, it's looking unlikely that the next gen GPU's will be out before July anyway so my PC was unlikely to be ready any earlier. Plus it's my birthday in July and this makes one hell of a birthday present. I'm off to bed to dream about VR.

You do know the first deliveries of Vive are shipping in April, right?

Vive or Rift? I know the first Rifts are shipping that early. No doubt I could jump in on the Vive pre-orders quickly and get something sooner but I've a feeling the price is fonna be higher, and I like the look of the Oculus launch games and some of the exclusives (The Climb for example).

That's it, I couldn't hold out any longer. I went for it. That July delivery date is a killer though, I hope it does come forward like you say eastmen. I'm sure some people will cancel their pre-orders between now and then anyway, especially when the other 2 headsets go on sale.

On the bright side, it's looking unlikely that the next gen GPU's will be out before July anyway so my PC was unlikely to be ready any earlier. Plus it's my birthday in July and this makes one hell of a birthday present. I'm off to bed to dream about VR.

They said they will get more grandular shipping dates soon. So i'm guessing towards the end of Feb we will get estimates

Anyone see this https://twitter.com/hmltn/status/689542640090492928

Goldman Sachs puts gear vr at $47 , Rift at $500 , Vive $400 and PSVR $350 and hololens at $1,500

The Rift is going to be as safe of an early adopter investment as you can get for quite a while, imo. With purchases limited to 1 per order, only being available in certain countries/regions and no meaningful big box store presence I'd be surprised if we don't see lightly used Rifts still selling above MSRP towards the end of 2016. Apparently Oculus isn't even shipping to 6 provinces in Canada anymore (a yet to be explained "logistics" issue), and no hard confirmation yet whether those who have already ordered from those provinces are impacted.

it depends , we all expected based on oculus's comments that the rift would be priced under the vive. But now who really knows. If HTC can bring the vive out close to the price of the rift while including the room scale stuff many may just ship. I know I would . We may not know the price of touch till its shipping and that can be 4th quarter and it could be hundreds of dollars at this point.

Back