Ratchet and Clank [PS4]

How was Sunset Overdrive at 30fps? That looked far more fast paced than Ratchet & Clank.

How was Sunset Overdrive at 30fps? That looked far more fast paced than Ratchet & Clank.
it was really good! and fun! I don't think the frames would dip (that often) it likely did when a couple times when you've got 8 player MP going, but otherwise single player experience was relatively smooth. Wish I had a ps4 for R&C. Looks amazing

Neither am I usually. People act like going from MGSV back to Bloodborne is akin to experiencing some nightmarish parallel gaming dimension, but it never took me more than a minute to get used to. There are definitely exceptions of course. I wouldn't wanna play a fighting game, a 2d sidescoller or a technical spectacle fighter (like Devil May Cry) at 30fps, but that's it basically.

Last edited:
Neither am I usually. People act like going from MGSV back to Bloodborne is akin to experiencing some nightmarish parallel gaming dimension, but it never took me more than a minute to get used it.

Some people have difficulty to adapting to variances in visual or aural stimuli. 500 years ago they would not have survived in the world but now they complain about things on the internet.

Some people have difficulty to adapting to variances in visual or aural stimuli. 500 years ago they would not have survived in the world but now they complain about things on the internet.
ehhh ;) common man.
Ever since I got a 144Hz gsync monitor -- I'm actually prefer reducing options to zip to get that super high refresh. There is something that is actually soothing to your brain and you get way less exhausted playing. It feels much better to play at a higher refresh and fps

There is something that is actually soothing to your brain and you get way less exhausted playing. It feels much better to play at a higher refresh and fps
That kind of reaction is symptomatic of the problem. Along with not being able to cope with adapting to different controllers. Humans have evolved to adapt and the lack ability to adapt is less common each generation.

Neither am I usually. People act like going from MGSV back to Bloodborne is akin to experiencing some nightmarish parallel gaming dimension, but it never took me more than a minute to get used to.

You have faster movement in R&C than in MGS5 (haven't played Bloodborne....).

That kind of reaction is symptomatic of the problem. Along with not being able to cope with adapting to different controllers. Humans have evolved to adapt and the lack ability to adapt is less common each generation.
I mean there is nothing wrong with asking for better. What if we had lights that flickered at 20Hz, would that not drive you insane? I mean there is an acceptable amount refresh which sits at the 30-60 range, but it's obvious that there are certain games, in which even at 60Hz the flicker is highly noticeable. Image clarity is much higher with higher refresh rates, I don't see that as being a terrible thing, much like it's not a good idea to read in the dark. Sure you can and we can certainly adapt to it, but it's better for your eyes if you don't.

What is the actual problem?

If a game is just "fine" I have better stuff to do with my time. I want an awesome experience and there is no point in playing a game that does not deliver that.

@tuna you know that you have a handy "Toggle Multi-quote" function in B3D forums? ;)

lt9kZ9g.png

What is the actual problem?
Research has not definitively identified the cause but there are tests to detect difficulties in adapting to variances in stimuli (frames rates being a prime example) where the the variances can result in a measurable change in state ("this feels more soothing") outside of the norm for humans. Lack of tolerance in one regard is often endemic of a more fundamental neurological condition that may indicate the brain is less receptive to adapt (or at least adapt quickly enough to prevent discomfort or distress) in other regards.

If you take millions the millions of gamers of being fairly representative of humans and their tolerances at a biological and neurological level, the majority may not like dipping frame rates but can certainly deal with it therefore those who can't are atypical. Genetics, health and upbringing and education can contribute but nobody knows for sure. It's rarely so debilitating to be problematic so it doesn't attract a lot of research because there's no money in curing it.

Of course when iroboto says "more soothing", if what he really means is he just likes a higher framerate and low frame rates don't cause him some actual discomfort then, then this is symptomatic that he's contracted PC Master Race syndrome and this is generally incurable ;)

I mean there is nothing wrong with asking for better. What if we had lights that flickered at 20Hz, would that not drive you insane?
1-20Hz can cause 'flicker vertigo' (aka the Bucha effect) but should not drive you "insane". 20Hz is generally not a frequency that will cause discomfort in most people.

@tuna you know that you have a handy "Toggle Multi-quote" function in B3D forums? ;)

Lack of ability to adapt to use the Mutli-Quote button is symptomatic of.... :runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be just as fast as UC4 and many other 30fps games. I don't recall the R&C games being 'fast'.

Same. I recall Ratchet (and Clank when they split them up) moving fairly slowly - the exception was the odd vehicle like those cycle things that went through tunnels. This is why I was curious about Sunset Overdrive which looks a much faster paced game and where the gameplay is predicated on moving, moving, moving..

WOW this is getting deep.

Do you want to take the red pill, or the blue pill?

Snake can sprint faster than Ratchet ever could. And the shooting mechanics in Ratchet are almost universally designed to facilitate as much destruction and as many colorful gasoline explosions as possible. Unlike MGS5 -or Bloodborne for that matter-, R&C is not exactly a game of finesse.

I was just going to mention that a higher framerate would have made Bloodborne just perfect. Then again that one struggled to hit 30 at times as well so that's a completely different story.

Of course when iroboto says "more soothing", if what he really means is he just likes a higher framerate and low frame rates don't cause him some actual discomfort then, then this is symptomatic that he's contracted PC Master Race syndrome and this is generally incurable ;)

haha. Oh you. You are correct though, lower frame rates do not actually cause real discomfort. I used to play on 20s on my PC. But higher frame rate is certainly preferable to the point that I am willing to drop graphical quality to obtain it. But honestly, monitor refresh is still a nice thing to have, and consoles can output to high refresh gaming monitors. It won't be as effective as having high FPS with high refresh, but I think in game people will notice the difference.

1-20Hz can cause 'flicker vertigo' (aka the Bucha effect) but should not drive you "insane". 20Hz is generally not a frequency that will cause discomfort in most people.
Really? 20Hz seems really slow for a light bulb to flicker.

Back