I stupidly stripped my gorilla glass oleophobic coat

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Does it have any adverse effects other than now the screen is a finger print magnet and really not slick? (what is the antonyms of slick?)

Does it have any adverse effects other than now the screen is a finger print magnet and really not slick? (what is the antonyms of slick?)

You should create a resume of the different products you or your living environment have manged to damage/destroy and send it to all the CE manufacturers. You may have a bright future in product testing!

Oleophobic layers can be wiped off with alcohol. Once I left my phone in the bathroom and my girlfriend cleaned the mirror and some drops of the cleaning spray made it onto my phone. Now I have spots where the oleophobic layer dissolved.

NEVER clean your phone with anything other than just plain paper or cloth.

Yeah but smartphones tend to be full of germs, and a bit of moist cloth won't help with that. I clean my phone with hand sanitizer, but then again it's a crappy old feature phone, which certainly doesn't have fancy layers of any kind.

Yeah but smartphones tend to be full of germs, and a bit of moist cloth won't help with that. I clean my phone with hand sanitizer, but then again it's a crappy old feature phone, which certainly doesn't have fancy layers of any kind.
I find this just outright silly and just a germophobia thing.

@akexko @Nebuchadnezzar

human usually are fine with germs... with bacteria around their daily life...

but in my case, when my phone goes oily (due to using it while doing sports, while eating, etc) or dirty, or disgusting (like i was using it while cleaning cat poo, or medicating cat that have mushroom infection, or simply dropped it to trash can, etc), i wash it.

@AlNets

putting medication to cat without a phone on hand is boring -___-
doing sports without using phone is not as fun :p (and since a few days ago Google Fit stopped tracking my walk/run automatically :( )

Well, I may be slightly germaphobic, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to clean devices that can have 30 times more Staphylococci aurei than an office toilet seat:
http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/news/how-clean-is-your-mobile-a-which-hygiene-investigation/

And just think. That has far less germs than your average light switch. Or door handle (especially at a restaurant or department store). Or keyboard (especially in workplaces). Or office chair. Or taxi. Or bus. Or train. Or...

It's a good thing you likely don't live in rural areas, especially near where any farm's might exist. The air will often have more potentially harmful things just floating in the air.

Hygiene is certainly important, but people get a little silly with it. And I often find that people that are far too conscientious about cleaning things are far more likely to get sick than those that aren't. Almost as bad as the other end of the spectrum of people that have no personal hygiene and don't clean anything ever.

There's even studies that indicate that being overly cleanly (hand sanitizers used often, etc.) are often at more risk as their body no longer maintains as robust of an immune system due to the lack of need. Which means that once they do come into contact with something infectious they are far more likely to be infected than someone who is constantly exposed to low quantities of that same infectious material.

IE - once you start down the road of being overly cleanly, you have to maintain it or risk easy infection. While if you just did as much as the average person, you'd have the same or lower infection rates while routinely being exposed to higher levels of infectious material.

Regards,
SB

You can use rain x (or something... That thing that you use on your car windscreen to repel water) to get similar effect. Although if you want to use it, you need to make sure that the solution don't touch any plastic parts because it probably will stain the plastic. I believe there are other solution as well (probably something like liquid screen protector). Anyway, it won't last as long as the coating from the factory, but it should be good enough for a couple of months to a year depending on usage. Or just buy a glass screen protector with oleophobic coating on it since the phone already lost its coating, thus no need to worry about it.

Well, I may be slightly germaphobic, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to clean devices that can have 30 times more Staphylococci aurei than an office toilet seat:
http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/news/how-clean-is-your-mobile-a-which-hygiene-investigation/
yes it is very unreasonable and not only that its people like you (driven no doubt by the companies pushing these antibacterial etc products, that everyone must buy or else you will get sick and die horribly)
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...acterial-products-may-do-more-harm-than-good/
sure you may have a phobia but let your rational mind rule

You can use rain x (or something... That thing that you use on your car windscreen to repel water) to get similar effect. Although if you want to use it, you need to make sure that the solution don't touch any plastic parts because it probably will stain the plastic. I believe there are other solution as well (probably something like liquid screen protector). Anyway, it won't last as long as the coating from the factory, but it should be good enough for a couple of months to a year depending on usage. Or just buy a glass screen protector with oleophobic coating on it since the phone already lost its coating, thus no need to worry about it.

Yup. In my previous thread I'm worried about stripping the coating by sticking a screen protector.

Now it's already stripped, so no worries, but screen protector still not arrived. Ordering things from China really take time :D

yes it is very unreasonable and not only that its people like you (driven no doubt by the companies pushing these antibacterial etc products, that everyone must buy or else you will get sick and die horribly)
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...acterial-products-may-do-more-harm-than-good/
sure you may have a phobia but let your rational mind rule

I don't use those triclosan-based things, though. I just use soap and water where I can, or bleach, and ethanol-based sanitizer on electronic devices, because water isn't ideal on those.

As for light switches and door handles, I'd like to see precise figures for those, because unlike phones, they're not warm. Perhaps more importantly, I don't usually hold light switches or door handles close to my mouth and ears.

Back