Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-world-of-tanks-performance-analysis

PS4 World of Tanks Beta Perf Analysis

Overall solid 30fps that rarely dips, when it does it appears linked to asset streaming as neither alpha nor destruction seem to cause spikes.

Not addressed in the article but does anyone here know if they still do server side visibility checks in WoT Blitz/Ps4? One of the criticisms of War Thunder is that it doesn't do server side visibility checks instead relying on graphics features such as foliage to mask tanks. Of course if you're thinking 'Low settings and I'll spot tanks from miles away then' you know why I don't play that game but with consoles not offering that option to players WoT Blitz/PS4 could drop server side tests and just rely on the game graphics.

OT: I played a fair bit on PC but the thought of all that grind again on console is a no sale for me, it's a shame as some of the console unique stuff like night battles sound interesting.

Yeah my sons half decent PC struggled with this...isn't this also a PSVR title!? lol
Portable Slideshow VR.

VM-intro.jpg

Some frames seem to have multiple tear points per frame, so internally the frame rate is likely higher than what is shown here. Although in terms of whole frames delivered to the player per second, this seems fairly accurate.
The red lines indicate the torn frames and I'm only seeing one in all three of those screenshots? Unless I'm being blind.

Edit: but yes, I'm seeing two tears each in screenshots 1 and 3. I wonder why only one was picked out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess backwards compat w/ software is both a gift and a curse for X1. I think they shouldn't release games in this state.

GeOW Judgement is a similar case

Last edited:
I'm still trying to rock Halo: Reach with my friends but performance sucks. Hopefully MS fixes this. :'(

I'm amazed it works at all and still live in hope we might get a really good interview that goes in depth on how they've done it. That certain titles from near the end of the 360 life cycle aren't behaving themselves is unsurprising. Presumably they were squeezing every last cycle out of the hardware so any perf impact from software emulation will hit them hardest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back