NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Whoops I meant to say other than Fiji. Are you saying Fiji doesn't do HDMI 2.0?

It's nice to see NVIDIA updating their stuff to keep it modern. I wish AMD would at least do something to Pitcairn and friends.

Whoops I meant to say other than Fiji. Are you saying Fiji doesn't do HDMI 2.0?
Yep.
You must have been living on the moon for the last 6 months that you missed the forum wars over the topic that Fiji can't do HDMI 2.0 :). (Carrizo supposedly can do it though I still haven't seen a single review actually testing it, and you've asked for _cards_ not apus.)
I'm sure though next gen every amd chip will be able to do it. Hopefully DP 1.3 too...

Didn't find more appropriate thread, mods please move if there is.

What to do with MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G, which decided once again to start spinning it's 2nd fan on full throttle during night. I think it happened after Win10 entered sleep mode and was later woken up.
I've previously cured same issue by ...
- shutting down the computer completely, but no luck this time (tried thrice, even pulled the plug from the machine 2 times)
- Updating BIOS to newer which supposedly fixes the 2nd fan spinning up on without a reason (already on newest bios, so that's kinda out of the question)

The card is on newest drivers (359.06), also running MSI Afterburner, but sadly it (nor any other similar software) can't control the 2nd fan, they only see the 1st fan (2nd is controlled automatically by the card based on temperature and can't be tempered with by software)

Sounds like a hardware failure, maybe a temperature sensor going haywire (IIRC in MSI's Gaming cooler the 2nd fan is also throttled by VRM temps).

I guess it's time for RMA?

Possibly accumulated dust or bad contact between gpu and heatsink. Have you tried compressed air (can) on video card?
If more inclined can remove cover and reapply thermal paste between gpu and heatsink.

Edit: Thought I read some people had similar issue using Win 10 ...

It's definitely not accumulated dust, bad contact between GPU and heatsink could be possible, but considering that GPU temps haven't risen over 75C during gaming, I doubt that's the issue.

Not sure about MSI, but with Evga it does not break the warranty. They also sell gpu fans and hybrid cooling solutions as accessories to enthusiasts.
It's just EVGA, but warranty isn't something that I'm worried about, this card has been taken apart before too - the temps however suggest contact isn't the problem

NVIDIA's low-end, GeForce GT 930 rumored to launch in Q1 2016 - Will Be Available In Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi Flavors.

Nevertheless, getting back to the news, we are going to see three SKUs of the GeForce GT 930 graphics card. Each one will be available with a different GPU, the first two variants are the same as the GeForce GT 630 and GeForce GT 730 cards, Utilizing the Fermi GF108 and Kepler GK208 cores. Each one will be available with a different GPU, the first two variants are the same as the GeForce GT 630 and GeForce GT 730 cards, utilizing the Fermi GF108 and Kepler GK208 cores. The third variant is the new one will feature the GK108 GPU did core. The third variant is the new one that will feature the GK108 GPU core. Again, this is not the first time we have seen this being done, GT 730 so had two SKUs, a Fermi based and a Kepler based. Again, this isn't the first time we have seen this being done, GT 730 also had two SKUs, a Fermi based and a Kepler based.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gt-930-launch-q1-2016-maxwell-kepler-fermi/

wierd that they are doing that, maybe left over cores from Kepler and Fermi, they are trying to get rid of instead of writing them off?

I wonder if the GF108 card still can do dual VGA. Athough it turns out HDMI to VGA adapters have gotten even more ridiculously cheap, so I can put to peace that silly issue at the cost of ordering the adapter.

The GM108 GT930 is great, I didn't expect it and I would order it in a pinch.. except the really high price makes it a luxury.

wierd that they are doing that, maybe left over cores from Kepler and Fermi, they are trying to get rid of instead of writing them off?

Yeah, this seems like a real possibility. I'm just surprised Fermi shit's leftover. That stuff is... old.

From Hardware Battle: "Nvidia preparing GTX980MX and GTX970MX" (original).

In terms of specifications, we are looking at the following inequalities:

GTX 970M (1280 CC, 192-bit) < GTX 970MX (1408 CC, 192-bit) < GTX 980M (1536 CC, 256-bit) < GTX 980MX (1664 CC, 256-bit) < GTX 980 [laptop] (2048 CC, 256-bit).

The report says that the 970MX and 980MX will arrive next quarter and replace the respective -M parts.

Back