PSN and XBOX Live Post Mortem

Yeah seems back up for most. Now I'm curious what it was all about. Didn't seem to be DDOS or the like.

Because they can't log into PSN. How much simpler can it be? And you cannot log into FFXIV on the PS4 without being logged into PSN.

Sometimes the interruptions are only for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes for 30-60 minutes. And sometimes, it's for hours. For short interruptions the majority of PS4 users not playing an always online game probably won't notice.

If it affected everyone, it would affect PC users as well, which it doesn't. They all use the exact same servers.

Sometimes the effects on raid cancellations isn't even that they can't log in, but that PSN is so overloaded or having other problems, that the Brazilian, US, and Australian players all experience massive lag at the same time, while the PC users (on the same servers) do not.

I can't compare this to XBLive as I don't play an MMO that is available on XBLive.

Regards,
SB

They must be very unlucky, i have played destiny since launch and i can say that i would have no problem counting the number of times i could not log in, because it can't be no more than 10 times. That being said, i don't play 24/7 so of course i might be worse for non lifers that play all the time.

Afaik, PSN does not host MMO servers, so the issues related to lag should be directed at someone else.

Meh, I couldn't play R6 Siege the whole evening yesterday.

Sony could at least give a reason, or just a little bit more information to customers..it is really the reason for me why I cannot recommend PS4 as a console to anyone.

Good lord, Sony's incompetence is predictable: my masterplan worked out...I did save up the new TR game on X1 in case Sony PSN fails...muah ha ha ha ha ha, stupid Sony did not succeed in destroying my gaming evening!

Billy 1
Stupid Sony 0

PS: btw, did I ever say that TR is one of the best games I've played!

Well that was the first time my household was affected in ages, my Sony was most upset! I agree, Sony should at least try to keep customers informed.

Oh, and apparently Christmas day was a bit of a bad day too (from what I hear) but more likely down to all the new PS4s being shoved onto the network at the same time.

Sony could at least give a reason, or just a little bit more information to customers..it is really the reason for me why I cannot recommend PS4 as a console to anyone
I don't think they've since explained it yet but diagnosing network fault in significant infrastructure can be very complicated and the reason restoring a service can take so long is because until you know the root cause, you can't fix it. It's not like somebody sits down at a bash shell and tries to ping www.google.com and turns everything off then on again then it fails. Havng said that I can imagine Sony's internal help desk being exactly like The IT Crowd!

Sony dished out an extra day code for everyone affected by the down-time the other day...I suppose it's better than a kick in the teeth

I just got that 5 years of Playstation Plus award thing in the mail. It only shows statistics for how many hours I've been actually playing an online game on PS4 (so not PS3), which is ... 8 hours! Wow. Not surprising though, having a kid and a wife really made un-pausable gaming an exercise in frustration.

In other news, I had an issue last week where my download was limited to 0.3MB/s. So I tested the connection, and after that, it almost maxed out my connection (around 12MB/s), for probably the first time ever. Hope that is here to stay!

In other news, I had an issue last week where my download was limited to 0.3MB/s. So I tested the connection, and after that, it almost maxed out my connection (around 12MB/s), for probably the first time ever. Hope that is here to stay!

I've also had this. I think there is some form of soft bandwidth throttling based on what your connection is capable of and occasionally it'll determine your bandiwdth when other things on your network are also sharing your internet connection so it thinks your maximum bandwidth is lower than it is.

Why anybody would ever want to do this I don't know but it's the best explanation I've been able to come up with.

My theory is that PSN allows only one person in the world to ever see ~100Mbit down at a given time, so for that one instant in time, everyone else on the planet was going at 0.3MB/s. ;)

:nope:

What issues? 9 hours on Xbox One on Saturday and nothing was amiss.

Yeah there were definitely issues the past few days... it has been hit and miss for many. Twitch Destiny streamers that normally play on XB1 were streaming on PS4 and comments were asking if XBL was back up yet.

Yes, very hit and miss. I was only impacted yesterday for about 2 hours. The other days were fine for me. But some friends of friends were impacted on the earlier days.

Something weird is going on and I dont think its the PSN. My PS4 cant connect to PSN since yesterday but it tells me that the internet connection is fine and I can sign in to PSN via PC.

Has anyone got this issue?

Something weird is going on and I dont think its the PSN. My PS4 cant connect to PSN since yesterday but it tells me that the internet connection is fine and I can sign in to PSN via PC.
It's fine here isn the UK. I'm logged in and it's pre-loading Ratchet & Clank.

Back